Advice and help - please

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by LauraJayne, Sep 25, 2013.

1. LauraJayne

LauraJayne New Member

Hey hey lovely CRP applicants, I have been offered a pre-screen interview for the CRP program and my brain and heart is being torn in a bazillion directions. So, of course, I want the CRP or I wouldn't have applied, but should I actually go for it? 1. I have done a specific degree and am currently job hunting in that area pretty avidly. 2. I have done 2 ICP programmes before, so know all the jazz but obviously have never worked in epcot or the UK pavilion. 3. I missed my friends and family over the 3 months, yes it was worth it but still a year seems like a long time and now I have a boyfriend to consider too, he's being very supportive but not sure what that'd do to our relationship :(

yeah and that's it. so some discussion and advice would be great, especially if you are or have done CRP... thank you :D

2. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

Hi Laura :)

My advice is simple - you should attend the pre-screen and see how it goes from there. It's difficult to make a decision right now as you don't even know if you'd get through (don't mean that at all in a harsh way) but I would say give it a go and if you get through to the next stage then have some more serious thought. I'm in a very similar position to you in terms of degree and job... the good thing is if you get it then at least you will have a job lined up which is really difficult these days. Working in Epcot is awesome (I worked my ICP in Test Track) and you will soon meet new people who will help with missing family and friends. I'm currently in a long distance relationship (have been for over a year) and it's tough I'm not gonna lie but at the same time hopefully he could come and visit you and there's always Skype and messenger so you'd never be too far apart :)

Hope this helps :)

Kirsty x

3. LauraJayne

LauraJayne New Member

Hey Kirsty

Thanks for the advice, oh I know pre-screen is tough, I already got dropped there before, but I think I know what I did wrong.. not saying that'd fix everything but having an idea is a good starting point I think. I know though that if I was lucky and got all the way through I wouldn't be able to turn it down, so in a way, I'm kinda trying to decide whether to nip it in the bud so to speak and just pretend I am an adult haha. Yes there is always that and the people are fabulous I agree, maybe you're right I should go see, but then that'll get me wanting it more.. so tricky! where have you been invited to interview? x

4. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

It's so tricky to know what to do!!! Where do you think you went wrong last time if you don't mind me asking? I have mine in London at 2pm. How about you? x

5. Jenna88

Jenna88 Member

Hey,
    I would agree and say go to pre-screen. It wasn't until I was waiting on the results of the pre-screen that I realised I wanted it. I had initially applied just because!
    It's a case of weighing everything up and it's something only you can decide. Will you look back and regret not doing it? Will you resent your boyfriend in the future for feeling like he prevented you from going? And as for the career stuff...I've been working as a teacher for the past 3 years and will be heading out there in February for my year. Grown up jobs and the real world will always be there, opportunities like this won't.
    Good luck whatever you decide :)

6. Hi, I did an ICP in 2012 too and I am also trying to break into a specific industry (law), knowing I want to take a year out will likely make it extra difficult to secure a job.. However, I've wanted this for so many years and I know if I don't do it (or at least try) I will regret it for the rest of my life. Whilst being successful in a highly-competitive career is great, I really want to be fulfilled in other ways in my life (I apologise for the amount of cringe in this response). About the boyfriend, me applying to the CRP led the breakdown of my relationship. Although it doesn't feel like we are breaking up atm, he said he couldn't deal with long distance and generally didn't understand my motivation for applying, and I understand that. We were together throughout my ICP in 2012 and he hated it and I gave up doing an ICP in 2013 for him, and I regret that decision. You never know, you may be lucky and he may be the most supportive boyfriend in the world! If he turns out not to be, then you know it wasn't meant to be. Besides, if the worst case scenario did happen, you will be fine. I am still alive and really looking forward to the next stage of the application process :)

Go with your instinct and gut feeling! Good luck :)

7. LauraJayne

LauraJayne New Member

Thanks for all of your advice. Kirsty I didn't pitch in enough about cultural stuff at that point, but was quite chatty other wise and I picked too generic a character I think who was like me, there may have been other things but as yummy never give feedback I'll never know.

Yeah Jenna, I was thinking I could work for a while first and then if I still wanted to do CRP apply again and hope for the best then, like you say stepping out isn't hard either. I agree it is a great opportunity, but unsure what I would really gain from it, apart from some lovely new friends which is always great, as having done ICP twice maybe I am stealing someone elses opportunity to try even at application stage... I have a friend there at the moment and she says it is great fun but she wonders if it's all worth it and it is different and hard compared to the ICP... too many things to consider. As for my boyfriend, he's not telling me to go for it or not to, he's letting me make the decision, so if I choose not to go, I can't resent him, it was still my choice. If I go and don't get through then no worries there haha.

And MademoiselleMinnie I was trying to think through my motivation for going and I'm not sure it's the same anymore. Before after finishing my ICP I could've killed to go back, so motivated, but a year out I'm not sosure anymore. a lot of friends who were still there are moving around and on with life, and that's great so pleased for them, but was kinda counting on them being there...

8. Can definitely understand where you're coming from - there's a lot to consider :). Which interview are you invited to, if you decide to go ahead?

-Ashleigh x

9. LauraJayne

LauraJayne New Member

Still mulling it over... but the 6th if I go :) x