Am I too old to go for this opportunity?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by orlando, Jun 16, 2006.

1. orlando

orlando New Member

Hi, it has been a dream of mine to be hired as a performer by Disney. But living in Canada, I rarely get to audition. I've only auditioned twice at a neighbouring city. Now I am considering the WDIP to get my foot in the door. However, I am now 32 years old - am I too old for this? I cant really imagine sharing an apartment with 18 year olds... Also, I still have student loans to pay off at 400$ per month. Is it realistic to think that this opportunity will allow me to live and still pay my loan? What I really want to do is be a performer, and Disney is the only place I can see myself working for another 25 years. Any advice from the alumni?

Thanks,
    Alain from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

2. Megara

Megara New Member

There are older people than you going later this year, so no, you are not too old. You wouldn't be living with 18 year olds either, as under 21s live in wellness apartments which over 21s can't. Not a lot different in some cases, but it is in others. ;D

3. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

You're never too old to work at disney ;) My dad worked at disney from age 23 until 44 (before he passed away orelse belive he'd still be there lol ;Dand he would have just turned 46 lol). Anyways, I do believe they would put you with someone of your age, but there is nothing wrong with 18 year olds (although Im turning 20 in september lol).

4. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

Hey ALAIN....

Just for the record.....I am going to be 36 when I GET DOWN TO DISNEY IN DECEMBER!! That makes me OLD??? ??? :eek: :eek:

I THINK NOT!!

I look like I am 25 and I feel YOUNGER then that! Get off your BUTT and APPLY!! You will NOT live with anyone who is 18 and I am SURE they take the age factor into consideration when choosing the rooming lists!! I would HOPE SO!! No worries for me though....

This CANADIAN is THRILLED to get the opportunity and I am SURE I could show some of these YOUNGER folk a thing or two!!

Are you with me PEEPS?? ;D ;D :D :D

BEST of LUCK!!

5. Nio

Nio New Member

21 Year olds can live in wellness apartments if they chose to.

6. Shrooden

Shrooden New Member

Hi

You're deffo not too old for the program- however.....

1. Unless you are in food and bev you will never manage your student loan repayments. (even this option means you wont be able to for the first 1/2 of your contract until you become a server)

2. Please for your own sake don't get your hopes up about getting a foot closer to entertainment- this will not happen whilst on the IP- the Q1 visa is extremely restrictive and 100% will not allow you to work away from either Canada Merch, foods, or attractions.

Flip side of the coin is you will have a blast for a year.

If you need any more info pls feel free to PM me.

Simon :)

7. orlando

orlando New Member

Thanks to all for your replies!

SpaLifeGirl- your reply is VERY inspiring!!!! Thankyou! I guess my age doesnt matter either - I look younger and feel younger too! After all, I am a Disney freak! BTW, I will add you to my MSN so u can keep me posted!

In terms of student loan repayments, I will have to see if my bank will allow me to put my payments on hold for 6 months...(a friend of mine will be working at MGM so I would try to get a 6-month deal).

Shrooden: You seem quite certain that establishing connections while working in this Program wont get me closer to being an entertainer. And I'm not to argue here, but dont they have monthly auditions in Kissimee and Orlando, for which by living there I could try out for? Also, on their job line, they have a menu option for current cast members wishing to transfer or whatever...could I not request that?

8. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

HEY Orlando....

that is GREAT that you added me!! Will chat with you soon but will DEFINATELY keep you posted!!

BRING IT ON!! Disney here I COME!! (well in less then 6 months aways!! ;D)

9. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

LOL Spa Life Girl you totally rock girl !! So much happiness thats everyone needs !!
    Cant wait to meet you ;D *has to wait 5 months.... too long....*

10. Jorden

Jorden New Member

This totally depends on your program. Chances are the only one you would be eligable for (unless something new is coming/came reciently I don't know about) is the year long program at Epcot. As such your visa would restrict you to only working in your pavilion thus you would not be able to apply to work anywhere else in the park since your visa wouldn't allow it.

11. Shrooden

Shrooden New Member

Hey Orlando- Sorry to shatter dreams but read up on the Q1 visa- it is a "cultural representative" visa, meaning you have to stay in your pavilion. I hope for your sake I'm wrong- but I am 99.999% certain I'm not.

Your best way of getting into Disney entertainment would be to read up on whether you are eligible to apply for your own visa for entry into the US, without a company having to petition for your visa. That would give you free reign as to where you worked. Disney will not sponsor you though as there are plenty of Americans who can do the job.

Hope that helps- and good luck!

12. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

Weird but in his post he says that he lives in Kissimmee, or did I misunderstood? :-\

13. orlando

orlando New Member

lol...i live in Canada but I figure if I work in the IP, I will be able to attend the monthly local auditions that are in Kissimee and Orlando...

14. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

Oh I see .... my bad .... dumb blonde I am ::)

15. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

Hey Orlando baby......
    Me thinks that the only way MIGHT be applying for one of the cruise ships??
    I am a singer myself and I KNOW for a fact that I would NOT be able to participate in anything during my year long stay!! Perhaps a little Kareoke but that is about it!! ;D

SO sorry my friend!! Stay POSITIVE.........NEVER say NEVER!! ;D ;D

16. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I think I'd have to agree with Shrooden that the best way would probably be to move down there and audition there on your own. The only problem is this little thing we call the green card. And unfortunately, we Canadians can not apply for the lottery... at least not this year.

But, that is not to say that it is impossible for your dream to come true. You could always go on the program, see what its like and know for sure that its what you want to do. While you're here, network and get to know some people. Then when Canadians are able to apply for the lottery again, take your chances and go for it. If you get it, then you can move here, audition and work here for the rest of your life!

To quote a little song I like...

Wishes, Dream a Dream
    Wishes, Set them Free
    Wishes, Trust your heart
    Just Believe and your Dreams will come true!!!

17. FeeBleu

FeeBleu New Member

Or find yourself an american girlfriend and marry her lol

18. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

HAHAHAH I think you BOTH have GREAT ideas!!

However the MARRIAGE one CRACKS ME UP!! ;D ;D

19. orlando

orlando New Member

Thanks Matt1133 for the inspiring words. I'm not the kind to give up! But if life keeps creating circumstances that make it impossible for me to work for Disney, I'm gonna scream! lol.... anyway, Im thinking I might just have to meet an American woman! (if only my current gf would hear this, I'd be dead! LOL)

Seriously though, I would probably be OK with putting my performing on hold for 6-12 months for the chance to work there. I mean I can still do the auditions, and sing at home if I have tolerant roomies..lol...

I called today my bank to see what could be done about my student loans cause that is really the only thing stopping me now. If I could file for bankruptcy now, I would. But I cant cuz my parents co-signed! Does anyone know if its possible to have a second job while doing the IP?

20. monkian

monkian New Member

ooohhh i just wanted to add my two pence worth....my momma and pappa are applying.....yes yes yes...and they are 60 and 66....so i think you can safely say you are never too old....although they only sent off CV's today so we have to wait and see what the mouse says....BUT MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED

GO MAW AND PAW!!!!!!