Anyone else annoyed at the date change

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by 2005CP, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

They clearly dont seem to care that people apply at specific times precisely because they have times and dates that they want to go out on, for varying reasons.

Changing the dates of the decisions until APRIL!!!!!!-well that basically screws up any plans i had as i wanted to go this summer and be back next summer for certain reasons (Yummy jobs doesnt seem to realise that people have plans and lives beyond or before the CRP). For me personally im probably going to have to withdraw my application if i probably wouldnt even be going out(assuming i got the job) until the end of this year.

Anyone else just a little bit irritated?

2. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

Unfortunately you're blaming the wrong people. Disney set the dates not Yummy Jobs, they just handle the admin of the application process for Disney.

3. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

I have to be completely honest, I was quite surprised that they originally said they we would have a phone interview by the end of January. I didn't really believe the f2f interviews would be in February - it is way more drawn out than that. (I sometimes think that could be to see who is really serious about it and who isn't). With the amount of applications they receive, I think it was unrealistic of them to give such short deadlines.

"primarily starting in the latter half of 2011 and early 2012" - so you still could potentially have an earlier start. Unlikely but not impossible.

4. Missish

Missish New Member

I did think the original dates they gave us were quite surprising, considering how long the previous round of applications took. The dates quoted for us to go out there were strange, too, considering people from the last round of applications were going later than some of our start dates could have been. So I guess the new dates make more sense.
    I'm just a little frustrated because I'm going to be away at the beginning of April and now, potentially, I could miss the phone interviews (if I'm lucky enough to get one!) :(

5. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

Assuming that exceptions were available and some people did get to go in the summer, and i was lucky enough to be one of them, i just dont see how it could all be done in lets say 6-8 weeks, assuming finding out in April about a June start date-it would involve making a visa appointment at short notice at the embassys busiest time of year, quitting a joba nd working a notice whilst also getting time off which is easier said than done, holidays wise, in most jobs during the summer, and in general packing up your life. I just think its a shame that this was mentioned as a possibility before applying, as plans could have been made around these facts

6. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

The information must have changed recetly with YJ as they told myself and a few others about the deadline sbeing completely different. Personally I want to start Sept2010 onwards so it wont be a huge problem if I get through - but having to wait for such a long time again will suck especially as if I dont get in this time I was thinkig of applying for a visa for canada which will prob have run out by April (they open this month) which means I will miss out on the visa and if I dont get through thats going to be really irratating as I don't fancy spending rest of the year in the UK with no plans. My contingency plan has been blown apart too :(

Argh I just want to know

7. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

im just intrigued to find out what has changed, i.e. what was the reason

8. mushu

mushu New Member

I have to say that I have plans - or would want to have plans - for the summer, so I don't mind about the departure dates being a little further back than they could be, I just wish they hadn't told us differently to start with, as I'm terrible with counting down days and thinking too much!

But this new time frame doesn't make sense to me. When I did my previous applications, the time frame from submitting application to hearing the actual results of the f2f (acceptance or waitlisted) was 4 months, now it could be more like 6 maybe...

When do we think the f2fs will be...May?

I don't know why Disney would've changed the dates that Yummy have, but maybe we shouldn't be too hard on Yummy, they're just the messengers :)

9. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

I agree i certainly do not blame anyone, i dont mind that the dates are later it suits me for saving money, its just the change makes alarm bells go off in my head, so to speak

10. pinkspideruk

i wonder if they recruited too many people on the last round? that might be a reason. I am not suprised at the start dates being extednded - i always thought they would be until at least feb next year. I am suprised at the later time frames tho as it would mean that they will literally have just sorted out this lots applications and then reopened the applications for the summer apps which doest give them much time in between to look at things like wait list people etc

11. mushu

mushu New Member

I certainly agree that it was weird first of all when they said departure dates were just for this year, cos previously, they've always gone up to Feb of the following year for this round of apps.

I think you must be right Ellie, and we know this to be true cos of the departure dates some people have (right the way up to Sept 11), that Yummy/Disney took on more people than they planned to/needed to/had to. But that's what they're like, if you make a great impression at the f2f, they'll find a position for you, even if you don't start for 9 months.

12. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

ive kind of given my self a dead line now-im going to say that August would be the latest i want to go-which basically means i probably wont be going but yeah, plans basically blown out of the water at the moment.

13. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

I can tell you right now that myself, and at least 3 other people who're currently here, had just under 3 weeks notice of our departure date. It's not impossible.

14. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

The thing is, half of the hiring company's strategy: their goal is to find who really and truly wants to work for Disney. If you'll pack your life up in three weeks, then they REALLY want you there, because you're obviously dedicated. They could tell me to come work, cleaning Main Street with a toothbrush, starting tomorrow & I'd go, immediately.

15. pinkspideruk

Some people can't do that though it's nothing to do with being commited to wanting to go - some people have other commitments and that is why they give you application dates / times and tell you to apply for the time you can go and to say the earliest you can go.

For me personally I would need at least 8 weeks notice as this is how much notice I would need to give to my current job. To leave without working my notice would be incredibly unprofessional and would leave my current employer in a hole which I wouldn't want to do.

I would also need extra time to get things sorted medically - I would need to arrange a full check up and to have all my blood tests done and get the results in prior to going etc...

And I do want to go and I am committed to going but for me I would need notice - on my previous contract they asked me to go earlier and I had to decline - it didn't effect me going as I still got my place out there (just 2 months later) so they obviously do understand about people needing time to make arrangements and having dates they want to go.

16. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

not quite that simple for everyone though is it-im arguably the most committed person there can be having worked there twice and applied more times than i can remember-but i also have a life, obligations to other people,legal obligations,financial obligations, and practical obligations. id want to pack up in 3 weeks, but i cant.

17. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

They gave me 4 weeks to prepare last time and I asked if there was any chance I could start a little later due to work commitments. They gave me an extra 2 weeks which really helped. 6 weeks gave me just about enough time to prepare but I didn't have a chance to save as much money as I had hoped.

I know what you mean though about not being able to drop everything at a moments notice. When they said it could potentially be for the summer I handed my notice in to work (I work in Switzerland and have to give 3 months notice). I gave notice just after I applied (I accidently sent it back in October although I wanted to do it the day the application opened) as I was supposed to finish here in Feb but decided to shorten it to January so I would be available for interviews and things should I be lucky enough to get through. I could have stayed the extra month and saved so much money...kind of gutted about it.

18. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Now that's a good one. I'll pass it along to my son and see if he gets it. ;D

19. Missish

Missish New Member

Having lived in America before, I'm not sure I could get everything ready in 3 weeks, no matter how much I wanted to! Or maybe that's because I'm terrible at packing ... but still!
    I'd love to be on the next flight if they asked me, but - as everyone else has said - I'm pretty sure I'd need time to sort out job/insurance/money/packing etc. That's why I'd be nervous if I ended up on the waitlist - I'm not that great with uncertainty!

20. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

Positions are ALL for 2012 now. My goodness... that's a bit of a wait... what's going on?