Anyone on here that's 'old'?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by SarahJane, Jan 11, 2006.

1. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

I graduated from WDW almost 10 years ago now :eek:...anyone else that's from a while ago? It just seems like there's a lot of people on here from the last 5 years or so...no one else that's 'older'. Not trying to offend those that are 'newer'....I'm just curious! :)

2. Charlene

Charlene Guest

uh... Wow! :eek:

You were in the WDWIP 10 YEARS ago????

:-\ I was there only 4 years ago and that seems like a LONG time ago!

Wow... I'm amazed that you're STILL interested in it! You're married and I'm sure have a life that's a lot more interesting than "partying it up" and only having one responsibility: showing up at your World Showcase location on time to start your shift in costume and mostly sober!

I'm just amazed.

Charlene Canada F&B Alumni 2001-2002

3. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Hi Charlene!!

Yup...well, ALMOST 10 years...9 years right now...2007 will make it 10 years since I 'arrived' at WDW!

Ya, as pathetic as it may sound, I am still interested...It was such a significant part of my life...I really discovered who I was while I was down there, and I made two of the closest friends in my life there!

Though I do have some not-so-pleasant memories (ie getting terminated..ok and then rehired!) for the most part I remember all the good things!

Sure, there was plenty of drinking and partying...BELIEVE ME, I think I was the queen diva of partying while I was there..LMAO!!! But there was so much more....things I can't necessarily put into words, but things I'm sure most of you understand....

The program has changed alot since I went down. Everything from applying for the job, to the housing, to throw ins (I still can't believe you all know about it now! Back in my day it was a surprise for every new person!!)....but the thing that remains the same is the experience. Something I would never trade back in a million years!

For part '2' of our honeymoon, my husband and I went to WDW. He wanted to see what it was all about. He heard all my stories, and saw all my pictures, and met my friends. So, we went...and of course it wasn't the same, lol, but had a great time nonetheless...Hey, what more could he ask for than a personal well-experienced tour guide?!! (though going on Mission:Space for the first time scared the living crap out of me! BAHAHAH!)

Is my life more interesting now? Ya in some ways, yes it is...but nothing will ever compare to my time at WDW...and I still like to see what's going on...It was a special time for me, and I hope it is a special time for everyone that does it...and I hope people come here as a place to reminisce and laugh it up!

God, what I wrote is so cheesy...I should be writing Disney movies! BAHAHAH!

Anyways, thanks for replying Charlene! :)

4. Charlene

Charlene Guest

Yeah Sarah... I know... :-\

It's a one-shot... I think.

I also had a great time... but now I wonder if it's really worth going back... now that I'm older, will it be anything close to my first experience 4 years ago? Probably not.

Anyway... we'll see what happens....

Charlene Canada F&B Alumni 2001-2002

5. cegana

cegana New Member

6. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

LOL cegana...now I don't feel so bad!!

So you had a reunion? How did you organize it? I only talk with about 2 or 3 people from when I was there!!!

Hey, and are you in any of those pics? If so, which one are you??!!!

7. WDW Donna

WDW Donna New Member

10 years is nothing, try 15!!! Yup, F&B Canadian Pavillion June 1992-Jan 1992.
    You didn't know any Dutch IPs did you? I have been trying to find my Dutch roommate for close to 13 years now. She stopped contact rather suddenly and it wasn't like her. I have tried everything I can think of.

8. belle

belle New Member

Hi SJ :)

I think we've spoken before.

I was room-mates with another Sarah fra Canada ;)

Worked Norway attractions July97-98. Iused to be really active on this page before (my nick was Ariel though) and I see I'm still on the "Top 10 poster" list....even though all my posts were at the old forums....

I've been back to orlando twice for visits. Once i 2001 (left on a plane on Sept 8th -thank god) and oncein Sept 2003.

The next time I go back it's for a great vacation and to get married. I can't wait!!

9. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Wow! A Disney wedding....congratulations! That sounds so wonderful!

10. belle

belle New Member

Yeah!! I'm so excited!

Since we couldn't agree on weather or not we were having a big or small wedding......we decided to "do both".

At Disney he gets his way: small wedding....no speaches,no dancing, no priest and hardly any attention.
    I get the beautiful dress, cake, loimo, champagne and all the romance in the world......

Can't wait!!

11. sami-mouse

sami-mouse New Member

Hi Sarah,

I worked at EPCOT 13 years ago in the UK pavillion (Feb 1993 - Jan 1994) I am going back to Disney for the first time since then, with my son who will be four in October... I am so excited you cannot believe!!! I am 35 years old!!! and I think i will cry the first time i set foot in magic kingdom & EPCOT again....

Is anyone going to be there then?

Sami

12. Jordi Carlin

Jordi Carlin New Member

Hi to everybody !!!

What a young people.

I was in College Program in Spring 1988, YES 17 YEARS AGO !!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible 6 months i spent. I was living in Lake Vista Village, no Disney complex. We were last generation living there. Later arrivals went to Vista Way, so imagine I had a hole bulding just for me. Evrybody were asking permit for parties in my apartment, so beleive it or not, I had 6 months of parties every day. Just an example, we had Illuminations inside the apartment, in a french party, and no body bother us.

I'm glad to find this site so I can be in contact with people on same sintony.

I came back there like 15 times, even one time I spent three weeks living in Vista Way!!! At that time it was easy, just having the "Disney Look" was enough, nobody aked you for nothing.

What I'm shure is that next year Im going with my two daughters, one is now 5 and the other is 3. I can not wait for that.

Please receive my best regards,

Jorge from Mexico

13. trixi_lix

trixi_lix New Member

Hi Sarah Jane. It's Fiona here. You probably wont have a clue who I am, but i graduated round about the same time as you from the Rose & Crown. I recognised you from your photos......I used to Hang out with some of your fellow canadians - Jean-Simon, Scott Patterson, Steph Woitalla and co. My room-mate was Jennifer Lipsett.

I cant believe its been so long since we graduated. I have a little girl now and I really hope that when she's old enough she gets the chance to go and have the same fun I did. Though she better not get up to as much mischief and I'll tell her to wait till she's 21 so she can really enjoy things! That was my only mistake. It sucked being under 21 :'(

If anyone from 'back in the day' (i.e 1997-1998) remembers me, come say hi. Be good to hear from you!

Fi xxx

14. belle

belle New Member

Hi Fiona - very qurious as too who you are - I'm sure I know......

My room-mate was in the Rose and Crown - her name was Jackie Hershman.

Maybe you have a picture?!

Here I am with my babygirl:
    [​IMG]

15. trixi_lix

trixi_lix New Member

How could i forget Jackie?!!!! She was mad and lots of fun. I had a couple of norwegian room-mates. IN Vista Way it was Hege Lange. You at least have to remember her crazy Mexican boyfriend Raoul! I havent spoke to her in years......In the Commons i shared with Kristen Reiten. She was good fun to live with and I spent a fair bit of ftime with Anita Sivertsen who is living it up in Hawaii now. Lucky Girl!

I recognise you from your photo and your little girl is gorgeous. Mine has just turned 2 years old now and I keep telling her that one day I'll take her to see where 'mummy used to work'!

I have a few photos on my pc but the files are too big to download on here as they're not digital. I'll try get some so you can have a better idea who I am!

fi xxx

16. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

OMG! I am so glad I made this post! LOL I was starting to feel out of place here! Bahahah!

Fiona, if you post a pic (unless you hate doing that on the internet, which I understand) I would probably recognize you!!

I actually saw Scott and Steph this past summer at Candace Fraser's wedding! Steph and I were bridesmaids!!! And did you know that Scott and Steph are now engaged!!!?? OMG, yes they are getting married!

I also remember Jen Lipsett well. I think she married a guy from Jacksonville Florida? I really liked her, though she left too soon after I arrived!

Yes "Ariel" ;) I remember you...funny how much these boards have changed eh? I had to change my nickname on here too (I used to use "SJ" ;D )

I think Jorge and WDW Donna have us all topped though!! Isn't it funny how a short stint at Disney changes our lives forever? I can't imagine not having done the program!!!!!!

Jorge, like you, I was in the last 'group' of internationals living at Vista Way. I think it's only American college kids there now...all the internationals are at the Commons and elsewhere...I think anyways.

AND PLEASE explain to me how in the world you had Illuminations inside your apartment??!! LMAO!!!

Oh and WDW Donna...no I unfortunately don't know of any Dutch IP's... where would she have worked?

~SJ

17. Jordi Carlin

Jordi Carlin New Member

Dear Sarah

You are right, Disney made a twist in my life, 17 years ago and I still remember it with my heart.

Well I was not exactly living in Vista Way, I was at Lake Vista Village. It was not Disney property, they rent the appartments for ICM. But I was the last group to lived there, the new arrivals went to Vista Way. Remember I was there in 1988.

Illuminations inside my apartment? Easy, during a party, somebody brought fireworks and he turned them on. Just imagine what was that almost 40 drunk people saying at the same: " EPCOT Center is please to invite you to our new enterteainament here in world showcase. At ten o'clock we will present our spectacular new international salute Illuminations..." ( I can't believe I still remember word by word the hole annousement ) just imagine how was that. What a wonderful time.

I'm glad to know something about it.

Regards,

Jorge

18. vistaway

vistaway New Member

Great thread, Sarah - and awesome to hear from all the fellow 'old timers'!

From 97-98 Canada F&B, I still keep in touch with Trent, Marianne, Brad, Amy, Lee, Carolyn, Sarah, Todd, Andrew, Kelly, and a handful of others - although I haven't spoke to some in a year or so. With it being 10 years next year, Trent and I were thinking of planning a reunion for October 2007. I think we will probably go through with it too, since between Trent/Marianne and Kelly/myself, we are at WDW 3-4 times a year!

Jordi...Lake Vista Village - I didn't even know there was such a place - thanks for the history! I knew of the Snow White (?) complex off of 192 that was used for college program back in the 80's, but not Lake Vista. So much has changed, but in many ways, the experience is pretty much the same.

Andy

19. erink

erink New Member

I'm old too - I was in Orlando from Feb '98 to May '99.
    Lots of familiar names here...I still run across lots of them to this day at weddings and the like. My closest friends to this day are people I met living in Commons (like some of the others here, I moved in when the complex consisted of three buildings and "security" was a nervous middle-aged woman driving around the dirt parking lot in an ancient Ford Mustang! I didn't even "throw in" until I'd been there for six weeks because no one could find us!)

It's the best part of my Disney experience that I still have so many friends from that time - there are at least ten that I'm in regular contact with. AND there's always a couch to crash on when you go on vacation!

I only peeked in here today because I'm leaving for a long-overdue visit to Florida later today, I'm packed and ready to go and have an hour to kill before the airport. So excited - it's been more than two years since my last visit. Can't wait for some Zingers at the Alehouse!

(As an aside, the "oldest" cast member I met was a fairly senior manager at my company who had been there in '94 and approached me because I was wearing my WDWIP tshirt at the company volleyball tournament. In the meantime, in six years working there I've met at least five former WDWIP people who have been hired on since.)

20. OCanadaAh

OCanadaAh New Member

Looks like I am very old!!!!

I worked at the Canadian pavilion from Jan 90 - July 90.   It is very interesting to hear all the changes to the program and paviions.  I am sure that some things remain the same, like partying and making a life time of memories and international friends.

Looking to hear from anyone as old as me!!!!