Canada: Amna wants to meet up with germans at WDW.

Discussion in 'German Discussion' started by amnahp12, Oct 28, 2008.

1. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Hey guys! I'm going to mar the german boards with some english - sorry!
    I'm just here to say that I would love to meet Germans and german-speakers on this program [assuming we'll be accepted].
    I'm doing my minor in German, speak it horribly, and can probably entertain you with my terrible german-speaking skills! And I will probably be haunting the international pavilion a LOT.
    See ya soon!

2. Ogel

Ogel New Member

Re: Lasst uns Leute treffen!

just try to speak and write english, thats the only way to learn it :p
    I had a 2-month intensive Language Training in frensch and 4 years spanish in school.

So I can´t speak and write it very well, but I just try it, also here in the forum, and the people understand, what I want to say.

Thats a happy moment for me ;D

And the headline is very good, without mistakes, so I think you can do it better, that you want to belive ^^

Where are you in the moment? Are you in Epcot or in Germany, or where do you want to meet german people? I´m also very interested to meet other people, to get a little improve of their life and culture.

greetz

3. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Hey Ogel, thanks for replying!

Yeah, I'm in my second year of a really intensive German program at my school, so most of the time I know what's going on, but any way to improve is good! I know how you feel, it's great when people know what you're trying to say ;) So thanks for the encouragement!
    I'm actually still at home right now, but my interview for the summer program is tomorrow - so hopefully I'll be there in the summer! Not in the Pavilion though, since that's [I think] only for people on a 12-month program.

Are you on the program right now?

4. Ogel

Ogel New Member

So I wish you the very best and good luck for tomorrow, and not at the Pavillon? Where do you want to work? At Attractions? Can you also work in other positions, because you are an american? Where do you live?

Yeah, I´m on the program, my interview will be at Novembre the 4th. And I´m really nervouse ^^, so tell us how it was tomorrow.

What do you think is easier, to speak German, or to write it, because, we can answer your questions in german, so you can learn it ;)

5. Jamar

Jamar New Member

Hi Amna, very nice post.
    What´s with your interview? Can you entertain us with your "horrible" skills next year? ;)

See you soon in America (I hope so) :)

6. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Hey!
    Thank you :) And no, working at the Pavilion is for Cultural Reps ... for the year-long program. Boo, unfortunately I have studying to do and can't stay that long. So yes, I suppose I can work other positions, like attractions! I live in Canada by the way :)
    And oh! Your interview was today, Ogel? Let me know how it went - I hope it went well, good luck! [I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier, I had an insanely busy weekend.]
    As for german ... I find it easier to read and write, because you have more time to think about it and it's clearer ... but that's probably why it's more beneficial to learn how to speak it fluently. ;)
    As for the interview results, they say we find out in two or three weeks ...so hopefully I'll get to amuse you! Thanks Jamar!
    I hope I see you all soon too!

7. Ogel

Ogel New Member

hey, yeah, I think it went well.
    We will get an answer on November, the 12th. So I hope for a positive answer... ^^

8. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

November 12! You must be so anxious, good luck! And I'm glad it went well, I hope you make it in :D

9. Ogel

Ogel New Member

Thanks, I hope so, that we can see us in Florida, but I made a BIG mistake in the interview, but I hope megan found it...

So one think, I don´t understand: Do you work in WDW or do you applied???

10. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Sorry Ogel if I haven't been clear! I applied, I had my interview on October 29th, so now I'm just waiting for an answer.
    But I hope we both get in so we can meet in Florida too :)
    I hate thinking about the interviews and the mistakes made/things that could have been said better, etc ... it makes me so anxious! But don't worry, I'm sure you did fine!
    The interview is so strange because it's hard to figure out what they're looking for, since they ask such simple questions.

11. Ogel

Ogel New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I´m a little bit afraid, because, I made a big mistake, at the question are you at least 18 years old, I marked no, but I´m already 18 years old, I read Are you less than... Ohh, I wrote an Email to Megan, to say it to her, but I don´t get an answer until now. I´m so hanging. I don´t know what I should think, the interview went well, but that mistake, ahhhhh :mad: We will look, forward to see, what wednesday will bring us... Do you want to work at Canada ( the Worldshowcase in Epcot) or on another place? Do you also had your Interview with Megan? I like her ^^ They are all so friendly, I like the people, I met at the Interview, also the Recruiter from Disney, I want to work there....

12. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Aww Ogel! If you emailed and made sure she knew, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about! But I know how you must feel, that must make you so worried! But you got a reply - what did she say? At least Wednesday is only a couple days away!

As for your question ... most people who work in the World Showcase are on the Cultural Representative Program, but the International College Participants [who are only there for the summer, and what I applied for] can work anywhere. So I'd like to work at one of the parks ... Animal Kingdom maybe ... but we'll see! It's worth working anywhere just to work at Disney World, lol.

I didn't have my interview with Megan, I suppose she's the representative for Germany - the woman I talk to is the Canadian representative named Kristin, and the woman who interviewed me was Sue or Susan or Jennifer or something like that I think, who actually works at the International Pavilion. And I guess they have to be friendly, to work for Disney, lol.

And ... one last thing ... I GOT IN!

SO....if I felt I didn't do too great but got in, I'm SURE you did fine! I'M so anxious to hear how you did now, haha!

good luck! <3

13. Ogel

Ogel New Member

Ok, sorry, I´m sure you wrote something like that...
    But we, in Germany, can only apply for CR, I also prefer to work at an attraction like Test Track or something like that...
    I like this attraction, its my favourite attraction hihi ;)

So you got in??? Did you got an answer?? I don´t understand that statement, je suis trés desolée ^^...

Ohh, I´m so nervouse.... I want to get an answer... I´m just before to die, because I´m waiting fpr Wednesday... I can´t wait... Ahh its something, like hanging in the air. So you don´t know if or if not.... SOrry, I hope you understand, what I want to say, in Germany its a phrase... So I don´t know if you use them in english, too. ^^ I was searching for a translation for the german phrase: " Ich sterbe vor neugier..."
    So jippy, I got 3 languages in one post ;)

Kind regards ( I dont know a better phrase at this place :p)

Ogel

14. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

So you guys can only apply for the CRP eh? That's awesome...that's THAT much more time to spend there!

and yes, I got my answer in an email yesterday, I got accepted, was what I meant! :) And yeah, to 'get in' is an expression that can mean 'be accepted' or something like that. I couldn't translate 'neugier ...' but I got the rest of that! Lol! I totally speak in three or four languages at once - it makes understanding me really hard ;) What can I say? It's because I can't speak most of them properly LOL.

and by the way, can I just say, "jippy?" What an awesome word! You're amazing for using it! [Kind regards is also a great phrase lol] By all means, teach me german phrases and expressions, haha. ^^

But hey...Wednesday is less than a week away! YAY!

15. Ogel

Ogel New Member

yeah, thats not so funny, I prefer to work at another place, but I must do what I´m allowed to :p so I applied for the CR position.
    so you got in? Congratulations ^^ I hope I will also, I´m so nervous... ok, so you want to get teach in german?

Ok some important things for me, I can say in 3 or 4 different languages:

Wo ist die Kaffemaschine?

and to say bye bye at the post maybe, I say

lg - liebe grüße or
    bb - bye bye or
    cucu or
    greetz or
    ciao or something like that, sometimes I also write things like hdl or ly so what do you write???

LG

Ogel

16. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Where is the coffee machine? LOL!! I guess that could be pretty useful if you like coffee! I haven't heard 'cucu' before, hehe, I like it. I guess to say 'goodbye' we just say 'see ya' or 'talk to you later [ttyl] ...I use older expressions like 'cheerio/cheers' and 'toodles' and 'ta-ta.' what do 'hdl' and 'ly' stand for?

also, a lot of north americans say 'lol' when they're typing informally online ... I don't know who uses it outside of here, but if you don't know what it means it's just a way of laughing that means 'laugh out loud' [lame I know]

seien Sie bitte nicht so nervös! [hehe ;)] I'm sure you'll do fine! a couple more days of waiting! And hey, I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you work! at least working at the International Pavilion is a guarantee that you're working at the Park ... instead of maybe working at one of the resorts or something :D

17. Ogel

Ogel New Member

ly is stand for luv ya like love u and hdl - hab dich loeb hdgdl - hab dich ganz doll lieb.

And you can say "du" to me, I think for american people its a little bit difficult, because, you always say you to everybody, but in germany we say sie to people, we want to talk informally and friends we say du. Its a polite form ^^

So say mach dich net so verrückt but german is also very difficult, because we speak 5 different forms of german in Hamburg we don´t understand what people in Bayern say :D its really sometimes very difficult to understand people from another part of germany ^^

so ttyl

18. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

Wow, that much difference in such a short space, eh? I like 'mach dich net so verrückt' lol.

Heheh, I know what you mean about formal/informal - we have the same thing in the language I speak at home. It's funny actually; if I can't make a comparison between german and english, I'll make it between german and my language to understand it better. So it's actually kind of nice! Closer to german in that way ...

sorg [???] du sich nicht, ich werde Deutsch eines Tages lernen! ;D

so which position did you want/apply for at WDW?

hdl :D

19. Ogel

Ogel New Member

yeah every time u use it it work better ;)

So I applied for Food & Beverage at first position and Merchandise at second.

Do you understand, what hdl and hdgdl mean?

hdl Ogel^^

20. amnahp12

amnahp12 New Member

three more days! three more daaaaaays! [Sorry, am I counting down more than you? hehe]

F&B, awesome, ;) Ahh, food. I love food. <3 I haven't found a whole LOT of information about what the different things people do for that are ... a lot of stories about operations/custodial.

Ich kann das verstehen, was 'hdl' und 'hdgdl' wörtlich bedeuten, aber ich glaube, dass der Ausdruck[?] aus dem englischen verschieden ist.

*phew* Ich versuche :D

cheers,
    Amna ;D