Cell Phones at Disney

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussion and Buy/Sell/Trade' started by LeafGurl, Feb 5, 2007.

1. LeafGurl

LeafGurl New Member

Hi Everyone!!

I was supposed to be going to Disney for Food & Bev in Canada in December, then April, then June, but after all that waiting they ended up screwing up my visa information bigtime???....sooo long story short, I'm not going anymore.:mad:

I have a brand new cell phone that my family got for me for Xmas that will work in Florida, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it now...since I have no use for it?!!

You can either reply to this post, or msg me to let me know if you're interested, details, all that stuff!! I'm pissed that I'm not going anymore...but I hope I can make someone else happy with a new cheap phone!!! :eek:

Cheers,
    Katy...ps. GO LEAFS GO!!!

2. QueensGirl

QueensGirl New Member

hey,
    I have never heard of someone not going because of VISA reasons. What happened exactly?? Just curious!

3. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

i dunno if its the same for other people but in the uk reasons for not getting a visa could be - they believe u are going to use it to illegally emigrate to the states, they feel that u dont plan on returning at the end of ur wrk programme, u have a specific disease such as HIV (altho i think u can reinterview with certain medical conditions), you have been linked to terrorist/radical groups, you have a criminal record, you dont have a checkable address history in the uk, you have a joint passport with the uk and another country, you are under investigation for any offence even if not actually charged.

you can also miss ur appointment or not be able to make an appintment in time forur start date which would mess stuff up for u applying to disney

4. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Yeah but in Canada we don't have to go to the interviews all the work is done for us (and we don't have to pay for the visa either), which makes this a bit weird (in the sense of you wouldn't see it coming).

5. We don't have to pay for the visas in Canada?
    I didn't know that...I didn't know we didn't have to go to an interview either. ???

Did you have any luck yet with the cell phone?
    I don't need one, but if I come across anyone that does ( not that I really know anyone...) I'll let them know you've got one.

6. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Yup visas are TOTALLY taken care of for us which is quite nice. You just get a form in the mail. Fill out a I-94 card at the border/customs and thats it.

7. Wow :) That's great news. Thanks! I thought I was going to have to drive back up to Halifax (and spend a couple hundred more dollars on gas and hotel) after my interview. ;D

8. LeafGurl

LeafGurl New Member

What happened was that I was supposed to go Dec. 5th, but had to push my start date back (another long story!). I spoke to Eric & was confirmed another start date in April. Well, even after all that I still got the info pack & visa stuff in the mail for my December start date. After talking to Eric I was told to send everything back asap, so I did.

A few months went by and after hearing nothing from Eric I wanted to confirm my new date & that everything was okay. So after a lot of work, messages and e-mails I finally got a confirmed date in June.

Just recently though, I got a call from Eric saying that the visa that was opened up in December for me was never closed (aka they didn't do their job properly!) and that I can't go with an already open visa. It's all in immigration's hands now, so i'm pretty much screwed!! I pretty much have to reapply if I want to go, but this has all put me completely off the experience. Plus I've been offered a new job here, so I'm thinking I have to say cya to Disney!!

BTW, info on the cell I have: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000BNOCXC
    is the link to the phone & I'm selling it for $40 US.

Cheers!!

9. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Oooh I used Virgin while down there I thought it was a pretty good service (I was on a basic plan, which cost me 10 cents a minute or 10 cents for each text sent or recieved). Granted this isn't that great if you do a lot of talking/texting but they have other plans/options and I just wanted to go pay as you go.

Just posting that info for anyone who was interested in the phone. www.virginmobileusa.com should have the rates on there somewhere (those above rates are the same across the US including if you need to call/text someone in another state). I think it's something like 15 cents a minute/text for calls/texts to Canada.

10. toorcam

toorcam New Member

Thanks for the info Jorden!!!
    I was wondering about that also
    Is that the only option we have in Orlando?
    Also, I was planning to buy a cellphone there, but I don't know where it is better to buy one (quality & price)

11. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Nope you have plenty of options (it's a competative market in the states). I know Wal Mart sells phones but from what i remember hearing when I got there (I didn't do any research) Virgin's phones are slightly cheeper than Wal Marts and the rates are comparable.

I have no clue about plans since I just went for the simple pay as you go method (and probably will again this time unless I'm buying a $20 card every week... they lasted me about 2.5-3 weeks last time).

12. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

im taking my own phone out its unlocked so im just gonna buy a usa sim card - what options do we have on pay as u go service providers? i know in california i picked up t-mobile!

13. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

I was on t-mobile last time but i was paying 10c per text and 10c to recieve a text, i was going through about $30 credit a week...mainly from texting the lad i was seeing tho, lol. His texts were only 5c to send and recieve so i think il have a look around at different networks b4 i go this time!

14. jenmacp

jenmacp New Member

I used virgin as well. I got the phone for free online pretty much. It cost $40 but came with $40 of credit and also got an extra $5 or so for registering online. I don't remember the calling rate, but I bought 200 texts per month for $5.00. Keep in mind both sending and receiving text uses up a "text credit". I had T-Mobile at first, but switched when my phone, heh, fell in the toilet. But I liked virgin better anyway.

~ Jen