Character Performer questions

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by anapisarro, Mar 5, 2014.

1. anapisarro

anapisarro New Member

So hey guys, regarding the character performer roles I have some questions:
    1) The international program participants can't be face characters, right? Like NO WAY THAT CAN HAPPEN? (just making sure :'>)
    2) What are the characters for a height of 5"2'?
    3) Do we have to auction or not? (this really is a confused point for me)
    4) If you did this job recently, how much was your payment?
    5) I also read somewhere that it might be hard to find extra hours, because of the different training, is that true?

That's pretty much it for now, thank you :)

Also guys, is it hard to get accepted in the ICP?

2. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

Hey! I was an ICP from the UK last summer and, although I wasn't a character performer, I did live with 3 ICP character performers also from the UK, so I might be able to answer some of your questions.
    1. As far as I'm aware ICPs cannot be face characters or dancers no, only fur characters. You wont be there for long enough to train as a face character.
    2. I think the characters for your height range would be the chipmunks, Winnie the Pooh, Doug, Mike Wazowski and Jake (from Jake and the Neverland pirates). Although you may be small enough to be a mouse or duck. Either way there are lots of characters available and they will tell you in the interviews which characters fit your height range if they decide to measure you.
    3. Character Performers from the UK have not had to audition in the past no. They go through the same interview process as everyone else and then once you arrive in Disney World go through training. At the end of training you have a kind of test where they assess your ability as a character performer, but it isn't an audition and I think most people are fine with it (someone who has actually been through this process will be able to tell you more) I believe that if you are unable to be a character performer when you get there they will assign you a different role, they won't send you home if they can avoid it!
    4. I don't know anything about this other than character performers are paid slightly more than some other ICPs
    5. I don't think this is true, all of my performer friends were able to pick up shifts when they wanted to and trade shifts without a problem. Trading shifts as a character performer is the same as trading shifts for any role, you can only trade for roles you have been trained in. Also you can always pick up PAC shifts as well for the parades and fireworks, you don't need any training for those.

Hopefully that will help a little, my knowledge on character performers isn't huge but I try to help where I can. With regards to getting accepted onto the ICP it varies massively and depends on where you are applying and what role you are willing to do. In the UK they generally take around 250 ICPs each summer from anywhere up to 1,000 applicants (the exact numbers are never given). Out of these 250 most roles are generally in Merchandise or Quick Service Food & Beverage but again the numbers change all the time depending on which roles Disney need people to fill. The best advice I can give to anyone applying is to do your research., Make sure you are fairly knowledgeable about the program and about Disney, you have to be able to show that you are enthusiastic and know what you are signing up for; this isn't just a 3 month holiday! As long as you are prepared and able to show the recruiters that you are a good candidate then you should be fine! Good luck!

3. Shiftia

Shiftia New Member

Hey there.

I'm a Canadian character performer alumni from 2013 (and returning again as a performer in summer 2014).

Vicki pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of these, but if you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

4. anapisarro

anapisarro New Member

OMG this is really helpful, thank you :)

5. anapisarro

anapisarro New Member

Thank you so much, and sure thing I will lol

6. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

No problem, glad I could help! :) Are you planning on applying for next summer? Where are you applying from?

7. anapisarro

anapisarro New Member

Yup, planning to apply for summer 2015, oh I'm applying from Brazil, really hoping to get in :'>

8. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

Awesome! Good Luck!

9. anapisarro

anapisarro New Member

Thank you :)

10. aoh101

aoh101 New Member

Does anyone know the likelihood of someone who is 5"5 being a character performer?

11. sems

sems Member

I think the chances are very slim because it is a really common height

12. Becsta

Becsta New Member

I'm 5'5" too and from the research I've done there aren't any fur characters in that height range. Oddly enough the majority of the female face characters are in that height range but that doesn't help very much if you're an icp :(

13. aoh101

aoh101 New Member

I read somewhere that Mrs Incredible is 5"5 but not sure if it is true!

14. sems

sems Member

Mr Smee, Lagoona Gator, Mrs Incredible (Although I read someone that she is 5'6" to 5'7"), Princess Atta and Ice Gator are all 5'5". What I mean by common height is that a lot of people audition for character performer will be in that height range so it will be really competitive.

15. aoh101

aoh101 New Member

Yes, it's a shame I am a popular height :( may have to go for character attendant!

16. sam17

sam17 New Member

If you have no dance or performing experience do you have any chance of being a character performer? What would you say in the interview if/when they ask? Would feel awkward just saying no

17. sems

sems Member

Say that you have an outgoing personality and are able to communicate nom verbally but no formal experience. Twist it into a positive

sam17 likes this.
  18. Becsta

Becsta New Member

There are more elements to being a character performer than dance/acting experience. Try to think of situations where you have been in front of people like school presentations, speeches etc that you can refer to and talk about how comfortable you have been in these experiences. Character performing is also physically demanding so maybe reference a situation where you have coped well with a physical activity (ie. work, sport etc). I definitely wouldn't use the word 'no' because you gain experience in lots of ways and you can turn almost anything into 'performance experience' with a bit of a creative spin.

sam17 likes this.
  19. sam17

sam17 New Member

Thank you both for your help. Thinking about it I've done a ton of presentations at Uni that have had role plays in them, I'll definitely mention that if/when I have an interview. Sure I can think of some other examples if I put my mind to it. Thanks!! :)

20. Emilie

Emilie New Member

I'm from Canada and I wanted to apply for the summer 2015 cultural exchange and your posts are very helpful :) I already know sort of the characters I could possibly but I'm 5,5, so which general characters could I be as a character performer? thanks!