Death on Rockin' Roller Coaster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QueensGirl, Jun 29, 2006.

1. QueensGirl

QueensGirl New Member

I thought I would inform the boards that there was just recently a death on the rockin' roller coaster of a 12 year old boy. They're talking about it on CNN but they don't know the cause of death yet. Just that when the ride returned he was unresponsive, and then soon after pronounced dead. This is really sad and tragic..i just thought I would let everyone know.

2. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

OMG that is TERRIBLE!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

My prayers go out to the family and friends of the boy!!

Seems to me that this is happening ALOT lately?? Is it just ME?? ??? ???

3. RCP

RCP New Member

I just heard about this in the news. Wow crasy isn't it, they said that was so impressive for the kid that he suffered some heart misfunctioning,a heart attack or so. When the man died at Mission Space that day I was working at EPCOT and the day that PLUTO died on MK I was there to see for the last time the parade. How sad for theirs families who will have forever a bad memory of the place that usually brings to you great moments to remember.

RUBEN!

4. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Yeah I heard about it at work today when a guest asked me (at Epcot) what was goign on with the Rockin Rollercoaster, I then heard backstage (on a break) that he fainted when he got off the ride and died on route to the hospital and I heard variying causes, I think there's a lot of different stories going around but we do know the main things facts, who and where.

5. gewels

gewels New Member

Jorden, what's the story about Pluto at MK?

6. RCP

RCP New Member

Pluto died on 2004 in MK He was pressed between two parts of one of the cars being still backstage, the cars are into 3 parts and when they are going out they ensamble into one big piece, this pluto run to his position, he was late and was easy for him to try to cut trough the car pieces but at that time was about to ensamble, something happened that he felt or got trapped between the pieces and he got crushed. So sad, but it happened backstage, the parade went on but not complete, we were watching the parade were out the door were it begins.

RUBEN!

7. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

The Disney PR people must be really good. I haven't heard about any of this stuff from mainstream news, just various forums, and mentions in podcasts. So is the rock n roller coaster currently operating? It would be very bad for business if it had to close since its one of the two super headliner attractions at MGM.

8. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

After reading a column from MousePlanet I have this article to add to the discussion:

Another death due to a previously-undiagnosed heart condition, this time at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

A 12-year-old boy died last Thursday following a ride on the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at the Disney-MGM Studios. Michael Russell, of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, went limp as the 82-second ride ended a little after 11:00 a.m. His father noticed this, removed the boy from the ride vehicle and began administering CPR immediately. The father, Byron Russell, a Army Green Beret with the Army's 5th Special Forces Group, was later assisted by a ride operator. A 911 call was placed from the merchandise shop at the exit to the attraction, and paramedics from Reedy Creek Emergency Services arrived quickly on the scene. The paramedics shocked the boy's heart a few minutes after arriving. He was transported to Celebration Hospital at 11:30 a.m., where he was pronounced dead.

Part of a statement released by Walt Disney World shortly after his death noted, "We offer the family our deepest sympathies. A company representative is with them providing assistance."

When asked about whether or not an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) was located at the attraction, Disney spokesperson Kim Prunty told MousePlanet, "There was not an AED at the attraction. We rely on highly trained and well-equipped professional paramedics (Reedy Creek) stationed in our theme parks to respond in emergency situations. In this case, professional paramedics responded within 3 minutes and 15 seconds of receiving the call." MousePlanet was able to confirm from other sources that AEDs are only located at the resorts, and that there are no AEDs in the parks, as Reedy Creek crews are stationed at each park.

Disney closed the attraction pending an inspection by Disney engineers and the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection. The roller coaster was found to be operating properly and the attraction opened with the rest of the park at 8:00 a.m. on Friday for morning Extra Magic Hours.

In a sad, but what seems to be becoming a common refrain, a statement released by the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office noted that "No evidence of injury was found but congenital heart abnormalities were detected which will be further evaluated. The cause of death will be left pending until results of the additional studies are obtained."

According to the Children's Heart Foundation (link), congenital heart defects are the most common birth defect in the United States, with nearly one of every 100 babies born with a congenital heart defect and one of every 1,000 dying before their first birthday.

The boy's family told Orange County sheriff's deputies that Michael had been in good health, and had had his annual physical a few months ago.

Though the cause of death is still pending while additional tests are conducted, this is the fourth time that pre-existing heart conditions have been blamed for deaths at Disney parks in just over a year. An undiagnosed heart problem was blamed for the death of Daudi Bamuwamye after riding Mission: Space last June and for the death of Jerra Kirby after collapsing at Typhoon Lagoon last August. On Friday, around the same time that the preliminary autopsy results for Michael Russell were released, final findings were released in the death of Hiltrud Blümel. Blümel's death after riding Mission: Space in April was blamed on a stroke resulting from hypertensive cardiovascular disease. It is unknown whether a pre-existing condition is to be blamed for the heart attack of Leanne Duncan while riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror last July, and the English teen was flown back to medical facilities in her home country. Her current condition is unknown.

This is the seventh in-park fatality at Walt Disney World since December 2004.

* December 2004 – An 11-year-old Brazilian girl with pre-existing respiratory and pumonary problems dies after throwing up and passing out in line for Space Mountain while waiting for a fourth consecutive ride
    * February, 2005 – A 77-year-old woman with diabetes who had had many mini-strokes and other problems dies after riding Pirates of the Caribbean
    * April, 2005 – A 30-year-old man with a pacemaker loses consciousness and later dies after riding Dinosaur
    * June 2005 – 4-year-old Bamuwamye dies after riding Mission: Space
    * August, 2005 – 12-year-old Kirby collapses and dies while sitting at Typhoon Lagoon
    * April, 2006 – 49-year-old Blümel collapses and dies after riding Mission: Space
    * June, 2006 – 12-year-old Russell collapses and dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Other recent deaths at Walt Disney World include:

* January 2006 – 59-year-old Willie Kane collapses and dies after crossing the finish line of the Walt Disney World Marathon
    * May, 2006 – 58-year-old Nancy Heizer dies and is found face-down in the pool at the Coronado Springs Resort

Only two deaths were reported in the 18 months prior to December 2004. Is there a reason that so many guests seem to be dying recently? Are people more likely to have undiagnosed heart defects than in the past? Are people more likely to take risks with their health? What do you think? Join the ongoing discussion on our MousePad discussion forums (link).

9. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

There was a lot of articles about the incident online and it was broadcast on all the news stations. My mom saw it back home in Canada. I work at the coaster and there were reporters around, news choppers were flying above.

10. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

OK does anyone else think that one of these is a little odd? Why was a 4 year old allowed on Misson Space? I would have throught someone might have stopped him. Its not really a kid ride after all. Remember reading something about that one at the time and thinking it weird.

11. Megara

Megara New Member

* February, 2005 – A 77-year-old woman with diabetes who had had many mini-strokes and other problems dies after riding Pirates of the Caribbean
    * August, 2005 – 12-year-old Kirby collapses and dies while sitting at Typhoon Lagoon

These I don't see are Disney's responsability at all.

PotC is hardly a dangerous or over stimulating ride, I think the 77 year old, diabetic woman who had already had mini strokes and other problems's time was up anyway. It's not Disney's fault that she hapened to be on one of their rides, she could just as likely been sitting at home or buying a pint of milk at the time.

If a 12 year old dies while just sitting anywhere there is a high probability that, again, his time was up. If he had drowned after falling in the pool and no one got to him quick enough, then yes ok, maybe it's Disney's fault but just sitting? No, I don't see that is anyones fault.

As for a lot of the other cases listed sounds like a lack of common sense on the part of the parents/ person conserned. While I was in WDW a couple of years ago a woman's waters broke on one of the rides and her other half was shouting about sueing Disney for having rides that induce labour. I had heard the cast members working on the ride recomended several times that she didn't ride but she had insisted.
    Unfortunatly as long as the minimum hight limit is met there is little that can be done to stop people going on the rides. You can recomend that someone doesn't ride until you are blue in the face but you can't make people listen.

Just my ha'pennies worth.

12. Mara Mouse

Mara Mouse New Member

I talked to a CM the other day that was there when the boys ride ended. Said he took a pulse and found nothing ... so sad.

13. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Just to add to what Meg said provided the guests meet requirments (such has heights) it's their (or their parents/gaurdiens) discretion if they ride. You are told early on (I believe in Traditions) that all you are aloud to do is tell the guests the nature of the ride, but they have the make the decision as to weither or not it is right for them.

14. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

Nice banner Jorden!

15. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

In case anyone got the wrong idea I wasn't blaming Disney for this I think that the parents are crazy taking children on some of these rides, especially Mission Space as there are so so many warnings of how the ride is. There are some rides that parents take kids on to because the parents want to do them and this is when I think its only fair to have a minimum age as some parents just don't think about safety issues as much as they should do. Does this make sense?

16. Megara

Megara New Member

I didn't think you were balming Disney, and an age limit makes sense Gismo, I'm not sure how you could impliment it though.
    For example, a couple of weeks back someone asked me how my GCSEs were going (exams taken at the age of 16 here in England and Wales) I turned 30 last week, and it isn't the first time it's happened. One of my friends from school was charges adult price to ride the bus from the age of 11 because she looked at least 16. People understand being IDed to go into a club or bar, but wouldn't necessarily have anything to hand to prove their age just to get on a ride, especially if it was their first day in the parks, or the first ride that had this limit on it that they had seen. It wouldn't stop the pregnant women, the older ones and those who have weak hearts, who should all know better, from going on.

17. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Thanks... should probably change the wording eh?

18. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

I dunno i thought it was pretty humorous

19. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Actually that's a good point. I'm 26 and got a child ticket on the bus the other day. I didn't know whether to be insulted or impressed baring in mind that I'd been in the pub all afternoon. Guess it would be difficult

20. Megara

Megara New Member

Take it as a compliment, in 20 years time we'll be laughing ;D