DEBT arghhh

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by lizziewizzie, Jun 24, 2005.

1. lizziewizzie

lizziewizzie New Member

hey hey guys...

do any of u have creditcards/loans/student debt?? I am now a graduate and trying to repay my 15k debt but now im going to disney for a year i wont be able to make any repayments...is anyone else in the same situation? like with car finance or wotever??? how u gonna afford it/or even make payments cos we will not bank with UK banks and so wont be able to set up direct debits from USA banks to our lenders...anyone know??

im lost!! and i dont want massive amounts of interest or fines for no payments when im back.

2. helen

helen New Member

Hey,

Ive got monthly car payments, but I thought the best thing would be to sell my car :'( :'(, as I cant afford the payments while away and the car
    will only be sat on the driveway for a year not being used and I will loose more money on it. So the plan is for me to sell may car just before i go, pay off my finance, and keep whateva i have left over for when i come home to put as deposit on a new car ;D
    I don't have a student loan so can't help with that - sorry.

Helen x

3. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

yeah im the same with my car payments but the money we get paid can go into your english acount and it will jus work like normal - then u can draw out mony in the usa using a cash machine, i also hav my credit card which is maxedd out that im tryin to get rid of but its not working at the mo, im selling my car to :'(

4. Zanitta

Zanitta Member

I have about a thousand on my credit card and am near the limit of my overdraft (limit is 1500). I've just finished uni (I didn't have a loan though) so I'm going to try and get a job for a couple of months when I get home next week before I go to Florida so I can pay off as much as possible. While I'm away I will have £200 a month put into my English account so I'm going to try an pay £100 off whatever is left in each account a month and just live off my wages in America. I think HSBC's graduate service gives me an interest free overdraft for a few years after my student account is finished, they reduce it every year though, so I'm not going to worry overmuch about it.

I think the first month I'm going to be using money out of my english accounts but after that it should settle down. Thankfully I can't drive so I don't have to worry about any of the car problems.

5. JRD

JRD New Member

whether your in foods or merch will have a lot to do with this... if your in foods i've known people who have left florida with like $15,000 because they havent splashed out too much with all the tips you get once you get into a service position. On new years eve i knew someone in the french restaurant who made $500 in one night from tips.

I was in merch and had a wicked time despite not making much money but i know that in foods if your careful you can go home with a hell of a lot of money. But then again why would you wanna save when you have all those amazing american trips on your doorstep?

6. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

how much omg thats loads- but toyr rite why save it? ;D

7. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I was in Merch. There was NO WAY I could have paid any of my student loan while I was there. I know some people who were trying and they were stressed and miserable about money. In Foods, yes, it is easier...BUT...don't forget...you might not get into service for 6 months and will be living like a Merchie until then. And, it depends when you get into service!!! If you spend the busy parts of the year seating and greeting and don't get into service until it turns quiet, you won't be making that much a night!!!

Shan

8. Can-Mel

Can-Mel New Member

I totally feel your pain.
    I have a student loan that I am trying to pay off and it is going to be really hard from there.
    I want to be able to enjoy the little money that I will be making.
    As well, I have a Visa that is somewhere are -900$ right now that I am trying to pay off by September.
    Good thing I found a summer job that pays well!!

Peace,
    Melanie

9. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

thats cool ;D

10. lizziewizzie

lizziewizzie New Member

hey all...thanks for ur comments :) ive found out that my 10k student loan dont need to be worried about yet. The government dont ask for repayments until im in a salary paid job of more thatn 16k a year. so thats cool & can be left until after disney. Im working my ass off in Outback Steakhouse rite now saving all the money i make. I.e . yesterday i worked 1pm-1am with a 10minute break! ARHHH! But i made 120pounds in tips alone! So hopefully by the time i get to america most of the remaining 5k will be gone. I was hoping to go with money to buy a car. Anyone know if we are elible for finance over there? Ooh and a tip folks....if its ur birthday coming up just ask for money! Ive said people can give me money so i can buy important things like hairdryers etc..woo

Shannybanny...6months to get into a server position! ouch thats a long time. i love waitressing. I hope i move into that position faster. Anyone know if it can be done??? Ive been a waitress for 6years now and love it. !

11. halifaxboy

halifaxboy New Member

I have my car to pay for, just another year left on it, but I'm leavin enough money in my bank here to keep paying it off monthly for the year. that's about the only thing I've got debt on tho!

12. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Not sure whether you'd be able to finance anything over there with no American credit history...my guess would be not. The 6 months is sort of the timeframe they give to people...could be shorter, could be longer. I know people who got it in 2 months and ones that it took 9 months. It all depends on when people are leaving and need to be replaced in service. It also helps to show that you're a hard worker and yes...kissing manager ass doesn't really HURT you!!! If you screw around and slack off on podium, when the time comes to put someone into service...you might not be at the top of the list. That's what was great about Merch...you did your job and that was that...done.

Shan

13. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

im going into the bank this wek to explain that im going away for a year and can they reduce my car payment things so that its easier for me tthen when i get back change it back -i doubt they wil but they mite hav other ideas etc - ill keep ya posted and let u no what thy saay so anyone in a similar situation can speak to their bank if needed ;D