Dieting!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Sofi, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Sofi

Sofi Guest

I'm nearing the overweight borderline for my BMI so before i goto Florida i wanna lose weight and fit into a nice bikini i can feel comfortable in =D

Any1 else doing the same, or hoping to? lol

If anyone is i'd love you to post here and we can keep each other going, its so hard to stay away from chocolate! ::)

I'm really determined since i've put on so much weight since starting uni in September and moving on from Wii Fit i'm joining a gym today so hopefully that should help!

Anyway post what your giving up food wise or even just what you do anyway that helps you keep in shape? :)

I'm giving up..(but finding it rather hard!)

Chocolate (no easter for me :( lol)
    Takeaway Pizza
    McDonalds

and i'm gunna try walk everywhere i can and exercise every day =D just wanna feel good about myself for once!

2. lowrigokarts

lowrigokarts New Member

Im doing the same. Im a size 8/10 but im tonning my tummy and legs up ready to get in my bikinis. Working out everyday now. I have bought sooo many bikinis soo exited :D

3. catfish278

catfish278 Member

you lose weight doing the program... I think I lost at least 10lbs in the icp 2008 and that was eating out all the time because of all the sweating (ew), working long hours and walking round the parks!

4. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

Yeah I'm a bit terrified of putting on loads of weight living in America so it's good to hear that we the job actually helps you lose weight!
    I'm a size 8, so I'm not trying to lose weight before I go, but I definitely am watching what I eat just so I can eat whatever I want of all the yummy American food when I get there!

The only tip I could give you on losing weight is to stay determined! I've never seriously dieted, but when I started uni I started eating loads of crap and put on a bit of weight so made the effort to get rid of it. Once you've done it for the first couple of weeks it becomes easier and you don't crave all those fatty foods as much!
    xx

5. Sofi

Sofi Guest

i was hoping that would be the case cos ur working such long hours too i cant imagine getting in and ordering takeaway i'll probably just fall asleep!

I'm like a size 10 but ive practically got a beer belly and my thighs are huge, i hate my belly soo much but i cant wear a swimming costume cos my boobs are a size 16 :-\ and if i bought a costume size 16 itd be waay too saggy on a size 10 lol any1 by any chance know if you can cheap custom made cossies?

lol doubt it but worth asking :) x

6. scarlettheart

scarlettheart New Member

Hey everyone!
    I joined the gym on Friday and the shock to the system was unreal! My poor wee legs were so sore from the treadmill lol!
    Just spent the night eating way too much Italian food so I'll need to work extra hard tomorrow morning.
    I find that classes are really good to go to (Body Attack & Body Jam especially) because you're exercising in a group rather than on your own :)
    I'm never going to be a really skinny girl (I'm a curvy size 12) but I want to tone up and be healthier for the summer!
    We should definitely keep one another motivated!
    Good luck! X x x

7. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I'm trying to tone up as well - I try and swim every week, and have recently started going to aerobics.
    Tried dancercise and boxercise last week - really good (sooo sweaty after boxercise) - but I hurt my back at some point, so will have to cut down this week.
    I also have a stupidly weak ankle (sprained it twice withing 2 years when I was younger and it has never gotten stronger) - which is of course KILLING me this morning, so doubt I will be able to do anything today. :(
    (Don't think I can swim this week either as I am getting a cold :() - Wii Fit it is!

I walk to uni every day - saves on the bus (which I would either still have to walk a bit or change buses due to where I live) - which is a good way of exercising!

When my knees are stronger I will try cycling again.

I'm also trying to eat more fruit and veg - but it isn't as filling as other things so you need so much! Anyone else have this problem??

Remember though - if you work inside all the time (not many places, but a few... DisneyQuest springs to mind), or work most of your shift at night, you won't lose as much weight as it is not as warm. Sad times!

Good thread though!
    xx

8. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

I'm trying to lose weight before the summer - lost just over a stone so far which I'm happy with :)

Healthy food is so expensive though! I do a lot of walking around the office for my job so I need a decent meal, and I'm going through so much fruit and veg, I can barely afford it!! I've also started to realise how many food related adverts there are, every other advert seems to be food related! Makes me hungry!

I lost loads of weight last summer, walking around the parks on days off contributed to that I'm sure!

9. Sofi

Sofi Guest

yeh thats why i dont buy diet foods cos there expensive and dont taste as good =[ it sux

and i went out drinking last night and had a takeaway pizza! booo, but i woke up at 7am this morning and went to the gym =P lol x

10. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

Heat doesn't affect weight loss does it?!
    You don't lose weight through sweating. Sweat is just salt and water, which both have zero calories.
    I think any job where you are on your feet all day will help you to lose weight!

Charlotte, I find eating healthier is so much cheaper! Because it is avoiding take aways, eating out and cutting out all that junk you buy that you don't actually need! I buy lots of Asda Price fruit and veg and its pretty cheap :)
    If its not filling you up then mix some veg with low calorie noodles or something! (Be careful of the dreaded carbs in pasta and rice though!).
    For lunch a lot of the time I just eat one of the little cans of Disney Princess shapes or something, they tend to fill me up until dinner time and are surprisingly low in calories!
    Oh one more thing! Don't be fooled by 'healthy' cereals! A lot of them actually have more calories than you think. I did some investigating a while ago and discovered that Rice Krispies Multigrain Shapes actually have less calories than any other cereal, including museli etc! And they're really yummy :) So I eat those a lot!

Ha, I guess those are my tips on healthy eating for the day :D
    xxx

11. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I find when I'm in the heat I eat less - so I feel like I'm losing weight!
    I agree with Charlotte though - I went to Tesco on Sunday and bought milk, a loaf of bread, some sqaush and everything else was fruit and veg (and not that much - everything I bought went into one bag) - and I almost spent £20! Usually I shop every 3-4 weeks and spend maybe £50 - it's definitely eating up more space in my budget! Fruit needs to be bought more often!
    And I don't buy take-out if I can avoid it - the uni is really expensive so I tend to bring on my own food. If I buy biscuits - I find the value range are usually nicer than the more expensive ones, and so much cheaper! :)
    I just get so hungry :(
    I kind of live off pasta sometimes - do carbs really put that much weight on you? I've never really considered it and kind of eaten what I want... I don't eat that much bread and have to buy small loaves otherwise it goes off so I don't get my starch that way (or potatoes - they are horrible!), so I only get my starch from pasta...
    I usually have coco pops for breakfast... blame American cereals! Twas the only middley thing I could find that wasn't super healthy and therefore dry - or so sugary you practically need to see the dentist after everytime!

Is brown bread really that much healthier than white? I find it so dry so I always have white...
    I have a lot of diet related questions! :)
    Am I right in thinking too much red meat makes you fatter?
    xx

12. Nate_Himself

Nate_Himself New Member

you do lose weight through sweating, and its probably one of the fastest ways to do so, but its not a very safe way to do it as theres an obvious risk of problems it can cause u healthwise like dehydration.

i find the easiest way to keep things healthy is to replace parts of your normal meals with healthier options that way your not on a strict diet and you dont get sick of eating salads etc all day long lol

so if u were gonna have a fried chicken n chips for your dinner, have grilled/steamed chicken (no batter or breadcrumbs) and boiled potatoes with some greens to go with it

i say this because dieting really is not for some people, and can be very hard to stick to it if u try n go strict. just thought id throw sum advice out there, anyway best of luck to you guys at getting them bikinis bodies u want! lol its hard work but defo worth it :)

13. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

I'm not a food nutritionist so don't trust me on everything!! But I'm really in to healthy eating and know a fair amount on what makes you put on weight I guess.

The high complex carbs that are in pasta, rice, potatoes, bread.. they aren't exactly bad for you but generally they do make you put on weight. If you're trying to lose weight quickly then cutting them out completely will probably work (as long as you arent replacing it with fatty foods!).
    You do need some carbs in your diet, but there are carbs in everything, including fruit and veg. So you will get what you need to survive :)
    Coco Pops arent actually THAT bad, if you look in the supermarket there are cereals which are much worse. Especially if you just lower the amount you're eating. I find that if you buy those kids variety mini boxes of cereal it limits how much you eat, and its usually like half of what I would usually pour out myself, but I make myself stick to just one of the little boxes.
    Brown bread is healthier in that it isn't all processed and it has better nutrients and all things that are just generally better for your body but calorie content isn't THAT much lower.
    Red meat is good! It builds up your muscles and if your watching your weight is much better for you than a bowl of pasta or something! Just stick to the red meat with not too much fatty bits on it!
    If you just get into the habit of checking the calories on everything you eat, you begin to learn what you like to eat thats high or low in fat and what kind of foods suit you best when you're trying to lose weight.
    Hope this has helped a little bit :)
    xxx

14. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

The only weight you are losing when sweating is the water that's coming out of your body, which doesn't turn to fat anyway, so it's like saying you're losing weight when you go for a wee, because you're losing water. Technically you might weigh that tiny bit less because you have less fluid inside you, but it's never going to turn to fat anyway.. if you see what I mean?! And the amount you actually sweat, if you collected up all the sweat off your body (ew :-X), is like nothing really. ;)

15. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Thanks Harriet, that has helped :)
    I just wondered about red meat, as I don't really like it (I eat chicken or turkey mainly), but I struggle with my iron levels so I have to eat a reasonable amount to survive!
    I also find small boxes not enough - if I don't have enough at breakfast I feel really dizzy by mid-morning - toast also doesn't fill me up at breakfast!
    I don't like hot food either though, and eggs make me feel sick... so I'm rather limited in what I eat!
    One thing I did find interesting though when I was reading, is that although water doesn't turn into fat, it is stored around the fat cells, so sweating a lot (never underestimate how much you can sweat in Orlando - you can't just go cool off when you want while working!) reduces the amount of water there (especially if you don't drink enough - not something to be advised though!), and hence loses weight. I think that's pretty cool!
    Hopefully though I will not only get fitter (more my aim), but will lose some of this sack I apparently call a stomach! :)
    xx

16. Nate_Himself

Nate_Himself New Member

yeah i get what your saying but u can lose a substantial amount of weight from sweating, im a thai boxer and when a fighter needs to lose a few kilos for a fight then we will wear plastic jumpsuits so we sweat buckets and get down to the right weight, obviously this is completely different to dieting over a period of time for a bikini body but im just backing up what i said

17. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

You sweat A LOT in Florida, especially if you're working outside. The sweating + the amount of walking you do + how little you eat (there's just no time for food!) = I lost a TON of weight.

18. catfish278

catfish278 Member

And I found myself eating one meal a day not through force!! I would get up at about 11am/midday and have a cereal bar for "breakfast" then bum around and get ready for work, head to MK at about 3.30/4pm, go to the Mousekateria and have a "meal" at about 4.30/5pm and then start work at 6.30/7pm and work through til 1/2am, go home and go to sleep!!

I had a few vending machine snacks in there... some of them are a bit irresitable. Crap american food!

19. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

I seem to agree with everything you say :)! I think it must be something to do with working on Main St and the hours we worked! I basically lived on kelloggs rice crispy treats bought from the vending maching during my break at some ungodly hour!

Without even trying I lost nearly 2 stone and went down two dress sizes in about 4 months, i just wasn't hungry and was working so much in that heat that it just fell off!

20. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

Exactly! I was custodial, so I was walking non-stop in constant heat. I'd get up like an hour before work, go to work, eat on my break, and then come home from work & hang out with friends or whatever. Sometimes I'd make myself rice when I got home or a pancake before I left but even those aren't substantial!