Disney Facts Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MissWendy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. MissWendy

MissWendy New Member

Lets start a thread for Disney facts. Share your facts with others to expand their knowledge of Disney. Who wants to start? ???

2. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

I love facts so I'll start ;D

The Walt Disney World Resort is located on a 46 square mile site (30,000 acres) about twice the size of the island of Manhattan), yet only 7,100 acres are developed, leaving a lot more room for future parks & attractions.

The Magic Kingdom occupies 107 acres, Epcot covers 300 acres, Disney-MGM Studios is 154 acres, & Animal Kingdom 500 acres

There are 20 Walt Disney World Resorts with a total of more than 27,000 rooms.

There are 12,250 parking spaces on the Magic Kingdom parking lot, and by 10am each Christmas day they will all be full. And theres 32,539 parking spaces in all parks

The Magic Kingdom can hold 100,000 people!

Approximately 46 million people visit Walt Disney World annually

The Walt Disney World Resort has more than 750 watercraft, 12 monorails & approx 200 buses

Monorails carry approximately 150,000 passengers each day.
    On the average, 200,000 Guests ride the various forms of "mass transit" every day

60 000 cast members

6,000 different types of food are served at WDW.

3. MissWendy

MissWendy New Member

Epcot opened on October 1, 1982 and was named EPCOT Center until 1994

The name Epcot derives from the acronym EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow)

4. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

But EPCOT doesn't mean that anymore now...

But all CM's know it stands for Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday :p

5. MissWendy

MissWendy New Member

HAHA :D I didn't know that no but thanx for informing me ;)

6. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Hehe, yeah, I think they told us that on our Discovery Day :D

7. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

and...
    Every Person Comes Out Tired

-The tunnels underneath MK are actually at ground level.
    -Nobody has ever been announced dead on WDW property.
    -That tile art stuff in the Moroccon pavilion was laid by the king of morocco's own artists
    -Walt died before construction of WDW even started.
    -There was not one single piece of stone used in the construction of Cinderella castle.
    -There is a tree park on site, so when a tree breaks, they have a fully grown one to replace the broken one with.

Is this thread limited to wdw facts, or Disney as a whole??

8. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Hehe, never heard that one before, luckily it doesn't apply to me :p

And also the tree in AK is built by an oil rig!

9. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

Nobody has ever been announced dead on WDW property.

Are you sure this is true?
    That seems like a RETARDED fact.
    When you think of how long it's been opened.
    How huge the property is and how many people visit the place.
    I really honestly don't believe that.

10. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

That's what Disney does... They take great pride in not having anyone die on property, so they're never announced dead until they're off property!

11. BriarRose

BriarRose New Member

12. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

I don't feel comfortable with that idea.
    I really don't believe it.

13. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

apparently is HAS to be a Doctor to pronounce death even if you blow your brains out and are clearly dead.

Paramedics in the states are not promitted to pronounce death.
    So if that is the case that just means a doctor has never been present in a scene.

14. jimbolico

jimbolico New Member

EPCOT's Icon Spaceship Earth weights 60 million pounds and has 11 000 facets

15. MissWendy

MissWendy New Member

Anything related to Disney for example any of the parks and where they are situated or Disney films, characters and the people who made them. The list goes on and on ;D

16. leeds disney fan

leeds disney fan New Member

Disneyland Resort Paris features two theme parks, an entertainment district and seven Disney-owned hotels. Operating since April 12, 1992, it was the second Disney resort to open outside the United States (following Tokyo Disney Resort), and the first to be owned and operated by Disney and is one of Europe's leading tourist destinations.

17. Kevus

Kevus New Member

I did not realise that DLRP had that many hotels,

Did people realise that the Corridors under MK date back to walt himself?

18. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

well, those tunnels were built because of something Walt once witnessed at Disneyland. Which was a frontierland cowboy walking through tomorrowland, something Walt didn't like, something he said spoiled the illusion. Therefore when planning MK, the imagineers came up with the idea of the tunnels.

19. Mauro

Mauro New Member

All hotels on disneyland paris are themed to different parts from the USA

All fries from any Food location must be served before 7:00 minutes after cooking otherwise they need to be disposed¡¡ Hot Dogs 20:00 min ¡¡¡

MK was supposed to have a hotel around the lagoon themed to a specific land from the MK. We have Polynesian (Adventureland) Grand Floridian (Main Street USA) Fort Wilderness (Frontierland) Contemporary (Tomorrowland) so we are missing Fantasyland, Critter Country, Liberty Square and Toon Town.

The last proposal for attraction that Walt saw was THE COUNTRY BEARS ATTRACTION.

The haunted mansion is the only attraction located at a different land in each MK around the world.

The biggest adventureland is located on Hong Kong Disneyland (And probably the prettiest one due to the natural enviroment)

Most of the animals do not sleep on the sahavana at AK. they have cages were they keep the animals out of the public for some time and to sleep at night.

The layout of the track for each space mountain is completly unique to each park.

The most expensive disney park ever built is Tokyo Disney Seas.

There are 3 castles dedicated to Sleeping Beauty and 2 castles dedicated to Cinderella.

20. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

And because Disney didn't like that the trash had to be emptied so visible to the guests.

Walt Disney planned spaceship earth himself.

Spaceship Earth is a geodesic sphere, standing at 180 feet tall & 165 feet in diameter, & weighing an estimated 16 million pounds. There are 11,324 silvered facets on 954 triangular panels covering the globe. The exterior tiles are made of Alucobond material, a composite of ethylene plastic which has been chemically bonded between two aluminum panels. This material can withstand the Florida climate and is self - cleaning. Rainwater is channeled through the structure and sent to underground drains, where it replenishes the World Showcase Lagoon. It has an outside surface of 150,000 square feet.

There are 8,500 inhabitants in the Living Seas, with over 100 different species.

numbers and letters forming a 'code', they are the initials and birthdates of the people who worked on the attraction.

The fruits and vegetables grown at The Land pavilion are served in Epcot restaurants. Last year, more than 30 tons of fruits and veggies were harvested from The Land pavilion's greenhouses.

The fountain at Epcot Innoventions Plaza can shoot water 150 feet in the air -- within 30 feet of the top of Spaceship Earth. If all of the shooters were fired at once, there would be 2,000 gallons of water in the air.