Exciting Details!

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by DigitalPhear, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

So yeah I was like talking to my awsome informant Erin about what she loved and stuff about Disney the most. I have to say she went into EXTREME details. It was great, she made me get all excited about things I never had even thought about. And trust me, after thinking about disney for a good 3+ months straight, a fresh perspective on it is always appreciated.

Once again I have to thank Erin for taking the time to shove the details in my face. Its something I usually overlook and if it wasnt for her, I wouldnt have even noticed had I been there with her :p

Oh..yeah Im just posting what she wrote to me. Im sure you'll appreciate it too :D

Hmm...what do I miss the most.
    (1) The heat.
    (2) The rain.
    (3) Always having something interesting to do on days off.
    (4) The friends. It sucks because you make friends from all over, and unless you're lucky enough that your closest friends are from near your home town (or where ever you're going to end up after the program), you never get to see them after the program, except for planned events. When you get used to seeing people all the time, having to actually plan to see them sucks.
    (5) The tan.
    (6) The outlet mall across the street.
    (7) All the parks (if you like the parks, do them while you're there because you'll miss the opportunity when you're done).
    (8) The fireworks! Where can you work in the world where you'll see the most amazing fireworks almost every night!?
    (9) Meeting people from all over.
    (10) The wildlife. I always got a kick out of seeing armadillos at night, or snakes, or tree frogs...oh...but I could do without the roaches. Although I NEVER saw one in my apartment, they do stick to walls outside, and you'll see them all over in the parks (in the stores, behind the restaurant...everywhere). We even had one night, that they must have just hatched. We were trying to close up the cart and they were running in and out from between our feet. GROSS! Be prepared, they're an average of an inch and a half to two inches long. But as I said, NEVER in the apartment. They sprayed monthly for things like that.
    (11) Disney discounts. Although you may get sick of all the souvenir crap, you will also be able to take advantage of 50% off ALL Disney resorts (with only a few blackout dates) as well as a wicked deal on the Disney Cruise (something like $60 a night, depending on availability. Also at Christmas time, you get a booklet of coupons as your bonus as long as you've been there for something like 3 months. You'll get 40% off all merchandise, a coupon for 50% off dinner at any sit down restaurant in any park, 50% of dinner at any resort restaurant, something like 5 free popcorn vouchers, 5 free drink vouchers...maybe a few more things.
    (12) The little perks you'd get on shitty days. For example, when I worked New Years Eve, we had to work until something like 1:30 or 2am. When we were exiting, going to our bus, the president of Epcot was at the exit handing out hot chili (it's a cold time of year), boxed lunches and ice cream as a thank you for sacrificing our night for working (not like we had a choice, but it was a FUN night). Also, on stupidly hot days, they'd pass out ice-cream bars as you were going in to work, or that you could pick up on your lunch break for free. They also give you promo items, like antenna toppers or other things when movies are released or celebrations are announced. For example Tokyo Disney Sea was opened while we were there and we were given a coin set commemorating the event (i'm keeping mine to sell on e-bay to get my kids through university *wink*). Stuff like that though makes being so far away from home nice...if you appreciate things like that, which I do.
    (13) Opportunities given. Although you're ONLY there for a year, you can be presented with many opportunities if you show that you're a good worker and wanting to get as much from your experience as possible. I became a Disney trainer (which looks wicked on a resume), I was asked to do a radio interview for a Toronto radio station during press week (you know when you're listening to the radio and they're broadcasting from Disney world...that's done during a one week period with hundreds of radio stations from all over North America). I also got to be an example of a Disney Leader for a group of young leaders from several high schools on a seminar they were attending. All of these things you get paid for, so it's totally worth your time if the opportunity presents itself.

awsome! Just reading that gets me pumped!

2. Lonja

Lonja New Member

wow, thats all so true, i almost cried as i read it!!! i still miss it so much...its just such in incredible place and experience......hope ill get over it one day....

Lonja

3. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

geeze...sounds like disney should hook everyone up with a pyschiatrist when they leave so they can deal with going back to a normal boring life :(

im not even there and im dreading having to leave.

4. Lonja

Lonja New Member

a mexican girl once wrote that disney gives you a traditions class to get into the disney "world" but they dont give you a class to get back to the real world where not every day ends with a firework.....

and that is sooo true! i have so many friends (including me) that have so much trouble getting back to real live!

enjo it as much as you can!!

lonja

ps: when are you going??

5. JOSSYPOO

JOSSYPOO New Member

:D i am so exited :) :'( make me cry too!!!!! aww march is so far away

Jossy

6. Lady

Lady New Member

awesome awesome awesome! thanks for posting that scott. it's good to hear the little things becasue it really puts you in the moment.

7. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

Going down in March Lonja. :D

Yeah I saw that mexican girls website. She had some good details there too.

I like the one about having a shot in the norning before you go to work isnt considered normal in the *real world* :p

8. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Oh my god, that list is amazing! Thanks for making me want to go even more!! :D

Ellen x

9. Rudy

Rudy New Member

all those things are so true!

my brother worked in EPCOT 5 years before me and one of his favourite memories is from Christmas Day when they were walking to work, they had their hands in their coat pockets (it gets cold) and costuming had put "happy holidays" notes in all their pockets.
    he said little things like that made them feel appreciated.

;D

10. DisneyTracy

DisneyTracy New Member

I am SOOOOOO EXCITED!! I just can't wait anymore I Wanna know now..... I wanna start to get ready, I wanna be a part of this magic... :( Well only like 2 weeks more to wait :D! Yay!! oh well thanks so much for posting this, it really made me even more exicted!! THANKS

Luv alwasy Trace

11. Tickee

Tickee New Member

Ha ha ha! Glad you like the list! I'm full of memories, you'll get your own soon too.

~Erin

12. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

Erin rules. Thanks agian for having such a vivid memroy!!

13. EvilQueen

EvilQueen New Member

We are all in sooo much trouble! :p

Thanks Scott.... Making the waiting worse as usual. ;)

14. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

hahaha...I am here to stir the pot :D

I love how nobody is even bothered by cockroaches.

normally you would all scream and yell...but not when it comes to disney..you probably think they are cute. :p

15. WdwJo

WdwJo New Member

Oh that sounds SO amazing! Wow! I can't even imagine. Thanks for posting that, Scott.

16. Tickee

Tickee New Member

Well they ARE Disney roaches....they all wear Mickey Mouse ears!   ;)

~Erin

17. WdwJo

WdwJo New Member

Erin,hehehe That's so cute!

18. greendayfan

greendayfan New Member

Don't worry about the roaches. Worry about the BLACK WIDDOWS!!!

19. Munch

Munch New Member

I think that the thing I miss the most that wasn't mentioned was that all of your friends were no more than a 5 minute walk from your apartment. How many people can do that at home? It was the best, it's 2 am and you're bored so you go see what people are doing! Or you go hang out with security and take advantage of their candy supply!!!

I really miss the thunderstorms too, I've never seen anything like it!

Also working on the cart and dancing to Off Kilter when they play! You get the guests all in to it and everybody has a good time.

:-* Cheryl

P.S. The roaches are scary as hell!!!! Watch out for them when it rains, they come out and they are everywhere!!! Yuck! I still get all icky thinking about them!

20. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

I hate bugs!!!! :'(