Getting on board

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Mr T, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well, just hoping some of you seasoned CM's can advise how long it actually takes to get on board a ship, I have everything sorted now, my visa and medical have been done, both CRB checks have been completed and I have completed everything the agency have asked but I still dont have a start date. It just feels like the process is so incredibly long because I am sure it was about this time last year I initially applied. Im not loosing faith, but am very eager to start working, if anyone can shed a little light on this I would be very grateful

thanks everyone :)

2. chrisdraper

chrisdraper New Member

Hey!
    Just emailed Caroline, she's part of the UK agency, and asked if there were any updates on start dates...she said it'll be around march now.....?!!! it's taking AGES!

3. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

It really depends on how many positions there are/turn over rate for the job you have been offered. Once you have been hired and have all the paperwork completed you go into a line so to speak as there may be people before you hired in the position (both internally and externally) waiting as well.

I got hired, completed all the paperwork/medicals etc and was on board within 3 months. I was a Youth Activities counselor and between to the two ships (back in 2007) there was about 100 positions. There was a high turn over rate at the time (the magic just came back from Europe, which many of the CM's wanted to do before they left the company). Now someone in the same department doing the Nursery job had to wait longer as there was only 4 positions on each ship at the time (one of the girls at the time waited over a year after being offered the position). There are certain jobs that have a higher retention rate so they just don't open up as often.

4. Mr T

Mr T New Member

OMG March ???? thats insane, i hope something comes up before that :-0

Thank you for your insight Roxy, its reassuring to know the wait is quite normal and we haven't been forgotten about. Im kinda curious about how the recruitment process works because I was under the impression that there were positions available immediately, although clearly there isnt. Im also curious how it works from country to country, I mean take my position guest services for example, if every agency in every country recruits for guest services, but there are obviously a limited number of positions on board, how is it decided who gets what and how are they allocated to each country. AHHHH

i probably shouldn't think too deeply about this, just this waiting is driving me crazy

5. Alicefh1

Alicefh1 New Member

hurrah done my visa and medical...and... HAVE A START DATE WOOOOOOOOOOO! Feb 28th, disney dream :)

6. chrisdraper

chrisdraper New Member

Nice one Alice!!!! when did you do your visa and medical and what role you doing?

7. Mr T

Mr T New Member

wow great news Alice, when did you find out?

8. Alicefh1

Alicefh1 New Member

Hello!

I got my start date and ship in an email from Caroline 2 days before I had my medical and visa! Had those yesterday (you were right, the're really not that bad!)

Soooo excited! Now will these 6 weeks fly by or drag I wonder!

9. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

As far as the country situation goes - they don't recruit for every job in every country. For example my department of youth activities the main countries they recruited from were Canada, USA, UK, South Africa (the do recruit in other countries but it changes year to year). While DCL recruits in the Caribbean (and other areas) they don't usually interview there for youth activities positions. So while they may do X amount of countries for recruitment this year, only a percentage will have qualified hires for your department.

While there are a limited amount of positions on board, things can change very quickly. Besides the basic firing/quitting, if someone gets medically debarked, or has something happen at home, or even if they get promoted or move departments. I think that is probably why they have a list - so any qualified hire that has completed paperwork, is on this list (I believe in order of hire) and can be dispatched to fill these positions asap.

10. daria

daria Member

I got my date today, i will be starting on the fantasy on the 16th march heading over on the 13th. I will be doing merch. so 9 weeks today I will be on my way. so exciting!

11. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Thank you Roxy its nice to be able to talk to someone who has been through the process already, its complety new to me so no idea how things work.

Great news Daria, amd you got the fantasy too thats so exciting. It seems like people at the october interviews are starting to get start dates, this certainly is reassuring. How does the agency inform you of your start date do they phone / e-mail you ?
    x

12. daria

daria Member

caroline emailed me. inhad emailed her in the morning asking for an update and I got the date. was very happy.

13. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Ahhhh I've got my start date too - got the e-mail on Friday I will be leaving on the 21st March for the Disney Dream. :)))

Little later then I expected but Im happy, and I really wanted the dream so Im happy. Its all feeling a little more real now,

14. Alicefh1

Alicefh1 New Member

Mr T that's brilliant! I'll see you on the Dream!

15. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Indeed you will Alice,

Although it will be a lot sooner than I thought, Disney revised my start date, I now leave for the Dream on 24th Jan.... 8 days time. so much do do but very excited now, it definitely feels real now

xx

16. daria

daria Member

what are doing on the dream?

17. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Guest services. can't wait, little apprehensive I leave in 3 days ...

18. daria

daria Member

what are you packing? I have no idea what to take

19. Mr T

Mr T New Member

I dont really know Daria, I have started packing but I have no idea what I will actually need. We will probably be in Uniform most of the time so dont think I will need that much, I have been quite conservative with packing but still seem to have a fair amount, i have tried to take a limited mix of everything, just in case. My concern is not what I take, but how much space I will have to store it lol - if anyone who has been out before can help I would be most grateful xx

20. Alicefh1

Alicefh1 New Member

Oh Wow!!! From March, to 3 days time??!!! Hahaha, how exciting (and scary!), so happy for you! See you on the Dream!!!