Give your money saving tips for those working at Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Disney Dude, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

While we want to enjoy ourselves while in WDW money may be tight after our outgoings. i thought i would start this thread so we can give ourselves Tips on saving money. I'll start.

Group Photos with Photopass

While loads of us will be visiting the Disney parks throughout the year, we'll be having group photos outside the castle, Mickey Hat. Disney have photographers who offer photopass and add it to card. You can then print off that photo but a single 8x10 size photo will cost $16.95. There is a much cheaper option though.

Everyone with a photopass should register them together under one account online. Then order them on a CD. Cost is $99.95 no matter how many photos you have. Everyone who added their photopass splits the $99.95 cost which if there are 10 people comes in at only $10 each. You can then copy these discs or even get them printed out for a few cents each as apposed to the $16.95 Disney charges

2. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

This may sound like a random one..But if your looking to go somewhere eat..Go to CiCi's..

If you just get a water as a drink..It only costs $4.25 for the full pizza and pasta buffet..Fills you up for the day! :)

And that water can always turn into a 'magic sprite', haha..

Another amazing place for food is IHOP..Its pretty cheap anyway..But on top of that you get castmember discount..Neither places are exactly The Ritz, but there just as good as what you could buy from the supermarket, and probably cheaper!

Other than that, i'd say, Don't go to Walgreen's..Go to Walmart..As at Walgreen's your looking at paying atleast 40% more on most things...Even publix, is alot better quality, and its alot cheaper than Walgreens..

If you have a car, don't go to the Chervon next to vista..Go over the road to 7 eleven at the worst..As it normally charges you atleast 10 cents per gallon more than 7 eleven does which is just over the road..I actually used to find it cheaper to drive all the way down to walmart and fill my car up, and I actually used to save money, even though it was a drive away..

Remember to always use your castmember discount, as just about everywhere does it..Can't ever really remember a place that didn't..

3. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

Coupons

I've heard that Walmart also have coupons booklets out weekly which will give you the odd Dollar here and there.

Maybe if they have deals on food at Walmart like here like 2 Bottles of Coke for £2 or something then UK cast members should all do their shopping together to bag these small deals and then work it out later. Could save some money over time

4. A cheaper way to do the photopass .... go onto the website on the card, put in the number required, and copy and paste your pictures into facebook or print them off yourself etc ...

If you get a 45 min break at work then take a packed lunch rather than by at the cafeteria, it's a lot cheaper than buying it there.

Whenever you are in the Premium Outlets always ask at the till if they do cast member discounts as a lot do. Sometimes its only 10% or so but it all counts.

5. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

good idea :)

6. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

I tried to copy and paste my photopass photos back in 2007 and it wouldn't let me. Not sure if it's changed since

7. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

One for Animal Kingdom:

At DAK (not the other parks) due to the animals they don't put lids on cups or offer plastic straws (only paper ones) so instead offer a souvenir refil cup which you can refil for about $1. Its an initial outlay, and potentially a hassle to remember to bring or carry round but if you're up for it you can make a decent saving on multiple trips. To save even more refil at a quick serve restaurant to get CM discount instead of an outdoor cart where you don't. (DAK's the only park where you get CM discount on fast food).

Similarly the resorts offer a souvenir mug with free refils (officially for the duration of your stay only) so if you go resort hopping you can have free drinks as you go - or have a meal at one of the resort food courts and get CM discount too - perhaps go and have lunch in one of the resorts near Epcot's World Gateway for a quick break from the park. If you wanted you could bring snacks and drinks to the park to save the inflated Disney snack prices.

If you're into buying bottled water (personally I'm not) if you buy it from a fridge at a merchandise location you can get CM discount which you don't if you buy it from normal food stands.

Don't forget to visit Cast Connection for discount merchandise backstage if you want some (far cheaper than shops onstage even with CM discount).

Make use of the free costume cleaning at your work location rather than continually wash them yourself if its convenient. (DAK costuming can be a pain to get to if you don't have a car as its seperate from the park).

Good one with the photopass - thats what I do, view and copy them online - use the print screen button to do it.

8. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

The only issue with the Print Screen option is that the quality is not the best. Especially if you want to print them out afterwards. Disney Dude's idea is a good one. Seriously, $10 for a year's worth of photos is pretty stellar and they'll be good quality too.

Getting in the habit of bringing lunches is pretty cost savings too. During my ICP I ate almost every day at the Take 5 cafeteria. $6 or $7 a day, that's almost $200 a month just for lunch!

If you're out and about in EPCOT and you're thirsty, you can always stop by Club Cool!!!

9. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

I did that quite a bit! The german coca cola with orange was nice - just stay away from the Beverly!

You could also avoid paycheck cashing fees by opening a bank account for while you're out there (plus have the convenience of a debit/check card and wages automatically depositied)

10. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I need a bank acount and debit card, dont go anywhere without my debit card, saves me carrying about lots of money, hehe.

I dont hve any saving tips, im not too good with saving, but probably things like, if you need to get a taxi anywhere then just get it with other people and split the cost, but thats obvious.

11. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I would definitely say open a bank account..Even if its just for the summer..You save around $3 a time doing it..

Not 100% sure..But im pretty sure that you can actually cash your cheque at Vista (Partners) Credit Union..Dont no whether that was just because I had an account there tho..Make sure you don't go over though..Otherwise it'll cost you $15!

As for club cool! You've all gotta try the italian version, haha ;D

My favourite is probably vegbeta or whatever its called..Regularly took advantage of club cool..Apparently its the only place on Disney Property where you can officially get free stuff..

Does anyone know whether cast cafe is still in Animal Kingdom? I no it was getting taken over by Aramark, but im not sure when that is happening...

12. Cicada

Cicada New Member

I don't find the quality is too bad using Print Screen. But since we will have so many pictures the $10 will be worth it. Do the pictures expire off of the website though? I can't remember

13. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

As far as i'm aware, they expire 30 days after you register them. So what we could do is put all our passes together after a couple of months, then register them all before ordering a disc. $10 every few months for a disc full of photos when you can get them printed off like they are in the parks for a fraction of the cost or just keep the disc.

Also, for those who plan to go to Universal regularly then go for the Premier Pass. It's the most expensive at $280 but gives you 20% off all food and merchandise, no black out dates, free entry to Halloween Horror nights which costs $50 alone as well as a huge amount of other savings

14. hen87hels

hen87hels New Member

Jo and I have come up with a crazy money making scheme which will make sure we're in the Fortune 500 by the end of the program. I'll let you do the honours of explaining, Jo! :D

15. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

What, you mean our Oceans 11 scheme? Helen!!...sshhhhh.

16. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

there's only two of you at the moment...shotgun third!

17. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Shotgun being Brad Pitt! haha.. ;D

18. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

Stay away from the Zoo York store at the Premium Outlet Mall when they have 30% off everything in store...my mastercard is sizzling!

19. mpark90

mpark90 Member

SHOTGUN ON THE 4th of the the Disneys Eleven :)

20. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I guess ill shotgun 5th..With my Brad Pitt title! haha ;D