Helppppp!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rachy4yc, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rachy4yc

rachy4yc New Member

I've been accepted for the J1 academic program starting July 20th and I'm freaking out!

I've had a look at everyone Else's posts and fears and I do appreciate that its an amazing opportunity that Ive been given, but it looks like I'll be stuck out in Florida for a year as it appears that you get no holidays? Can someone enlighten me please?

Basically I'm only just 18 and worried about being away from home for so long. Any advice?

2. Maila

Maila New Member

you cant get paid holidays but you can get unpaid holidays and you can take back to backs that means you can take 4 days off, 2 days at the end of the week and 2 days at the beginnig of the following week.... there is no need to be worried you can get off days.. there are a lot of people which fly home for some days :)

3. Paoletto

Paoletto New Member

Given the back to back thing.. can u still ask for more unpaid days off? What if I wanna fly for a week to NY.. will I get in trouble or lose the job?

4. Maila

Maila New Member

i dont know exactly how this works with unpaid vacation.. but there must be a way... a lot of people do trips or so one week long... if i find the answer for that i will let u know :)

5. Holla

Holla New Member

@Maila:

Are you sure? I thought we can get only unpaid vacation ??? ....
    How i can remember, we can take unpaid vacation (about 2 full weeks) after 3 month.
    Of course, the normal "off days" of 2 per week, is from beginning but i dont know if is paid.. but for me is the normal off not an vacation.
    Now, I am confused :( ... Maybe I have slept during the image :)
    If somebody can give us information, I would very pleased about it :D

holla

6. Maila

Maila New Member

Holla im sorry but i dont understand what exactly you want to know :)