Hi Canadians!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by thecaseman83, Mar 18, 2005.

1. thecaseman83

thecaseman83 New Member

Hello

I am Casey Kenny, 21 and I am just starting at Disney. I have found that at the Commons there is definitely  drinking, but I am not underage .    There was some pressure on me  I think to fit in quickly so the pressure may be self inflicted but pressure just the same.      Drinking occassionally is not a bad thing and it is certainly  alright to have a few beer, if that is your choice, there is so much to do here and  you will never have to feel that  we are  here at Disney just to drink. WE are here to have an amazing time and make the most of this amazing opportunity. If you think about WDW  and just being here it is just unreal........

I feel (just me) that  that there are so many things to do here as well as drinking that drinking shouldn't overshadow it but just be a part of it.    Everyone here has been just great and friendly and welcoming and Downtown Disney is  a blast..

Anyway I just thought id check in and let all of you know that we will not pressure you. We are looking forward to every new Canadian coming and having fun with us, but if you are here to party then there is plenty of that too.   

Take Care

Casey Kenny
    thecaseman39@hotmail.com 

2. SaraC

SaraC New Member

well i'm not canadian but :p I'm replyin anyway.

valid point hunny, and good u posted on here, how u feel, maybe others coming over, like me, can relate to this

hope its not just the canadians who can have fun with u ;)

Sar xxxx

3. rjshevy

rjshevy Guest

Not too sure if i agree with you there bud!!
    Each person's experience will reflect on what they did down there...and everybody is going to do stuff that is a kick ass time, and if that includes drinking and more drinking and partying then so be it. :p

4. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Hey!
    I know you will not like my post, but I still think even if this is addressed to the canadians, I have to make a comment to that statement, because I have been living at the Commons, unlike you, and I think you are totally prejudiced. This experience is about far more than Disney. It's about having a good time together, hanging out with many internationals and sometimes also having a beer together. I don't know why you make such a bigg fuss out of this, to everyone their own. If people wanna get drunk you shouldn't judge them for it, just like they won't judge you for not drinking. I understand you have good motives, but you just handle all this the wrong way. Don't speak up for all these people you don't even know, let them make their own decision once they are there. I am not sure why you are trying to change everything what the Commons is about. Maybe you are afraid, you will be left out when you won't be drinking, but that won't be the case.
    By the way, you have NO IDEA what the throw-ins are like, it's not all about drinking, just some traditions include it. And you always have the choice to say no. Most of the people go on this program and just want to live it up for one year without a concern, just party and get drunk from time to time. You have to tolerante that or you are definitely wrong in that place! This program is about diversity, respecting EVERYONES way of life and not thinking only your way is the right way.
    Most of all you should wait until you are there before you talk about something you are gonna do and not do and discribe a place you have never lived in.

Julia

5. SaraC

SaraC New Member

just addin my 2 cents julia, but casey is there now, he arrived tuesday, just thought id clear that bit up

xxx

6. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Ok, thanks Sara, don't think he can have a very clear impression from 2 days though. I don't know why he can not just relax and sit back to enjoy the year.

Julia

7. JOSSYPOO

JOSSYPOO New Member

to each is their own

8. thecaseman83

thecaseman83 New Member

If more people actually paid attention and read each word a lot of trouble would be saved.

I did not condem people for drinking and it is only my opinion , and as jocelyn said, to each their own.

I was basically trying to tell newbies not to worry or feel pressured. While some people may not like to admit it, their is a lot of pressure put on people to drink if even just by ourselves, but you won't have to as there is so much to do and the people really are great....

Anyway...I do not wanna get this personal, however the internet is made for freedom of speech.

Oh and by the way I have been through throw in and I have been here for a week.

9. thecaseman83

thecaseman83 New Member

I dont think I am better than people who drink a lot, I guess I just dont understand it.

Im sorry if anyone took that the wrong way.

10. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Hi!
    Maybe you didn't read my post either. I said to each their own. And sorry I didn't realize you are already there, but like I said being there even a week doesn't make you see what the Commons is really all about. There is so much more beyond all the drunken nights. I just think it's ridiculous to feel pressured by something like "having to drink" at your age. It's nonsense, unless the people have changed 360 degrees from the time I was there. The Commons is a place with many different people and always will be and I think it's the most tolerante place I have ever been, with people resepcting each other no matter what the background is.
    And I am taking it very personal when you say that people who drink are fools, because that means you are judging a majority of the people you are living and working with now, and it is not really reflecting your earlier statement "to each their own". I know you corrected yourself later, but you didn't delete your statement, you said it before because you must have felt that way when you posted the message. And just because you don't understand someone's behaviour doesn't mean it's wrong for them, too. I think Tracy made pretty clear that there is NO pressure whatsoever. Man, just chill and enjoy this great opportunity given to you and don't waste your time on something you will not be able to change. You can still have an awesome time the way you want it and you will just miss out on some fantastic friendships when you are so prejudiced!

Julia

11. funshine

funshine New Member

12. Fiduch

Fiduch Guest

as a standing member of "no ma'am", the canadian boys DRINKING club, and a firm believer that the occasional drink is more than acceptable, i'm going to have to say that throw-ins are entirely designed such that you can opt out of drinking if you so choose. that's why there's "rye guy" to drink for you. and that is the only part of the throw-in itself that involves alcohol in any way. sure, there's beer there, if you so choose, but no one is forcing the beer on you.

and as for No Ma'am, as i stated, it IS a drinking club, and we make no bones about it. it's not for everyone, but we don't look down on anyone that doesn't want to participate, so you don't have to worry about being an outcast of any sort. there are certain guys that will come to no ma'am only occasionally to sit in on the proceedings and have, literally, a couple beers, and we never pressure those people to drink at all. and off the top of my head, i can think of plenty of canadian girls and boys that don't participate in the monday night rituals at all, but are still very social. i myself am not one of the "party every night" people, as i love disney and everything it stands for as well, and i'm having a great time in the parks and at my job.

as you will probably hear from many people, this experience can be whatever you want it to be. you can be a disney nut, a party person, or just someone looking for some great experience in the hospitality industry. just don't particpate in the parts that don't interest you. it's as simple as that. you're right, there is a culture of drinking down here, but it doesn't have to be a part of your experience if you don't want it to be.

as for changing traditions, i'm sorry, but that simply isn't going to happen.

anyhow... i hope you have a wonderful, enjoyable experience here at disney. i know i have thus far.

Tim Lenz
    Canada F&B

13. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Couldn't agree more Fiduch ;D

14. StarsMeltMidnight

StarsMeltMidnight New Member

First of all, please do not ever speak for the entire pavillion again, as clearly many of us do not agree with your post.

Second of all, as I looked over my pics of you newbies being thrown in, you have a beer firm in hand in all of em. So watch the hypocrisy please.

That's about all I have to say on the matter, as I agree with pretty much everything Tim (fiduch) said.

Ashley

15. thecaseman83

thecaseman83 New Member

I was not speaking for all Canadians just me and ......I am Canadian. 

I met and spoke to every Canadian the night of the throw in and that is exactly who I am.    I never denied drinking and I am legal.

I do not mean to sound high and mighty either. My comments were made just to try and show some people worried about pressure  that there are choices. You can live your own life and get along just fine and have a blast and....make lots of friends.   The choices are yours.   

Thank You

Casey :-[ ;D

16. JOSSYPOO

JOSSYPOO New Member

Hey Guys..

It's " Pickering" or Harder.. but anyway, I had a BLAST on the first night I was here and so did the other people that I talked too!! I had no idea this was being said at all. I think what was done on the first night was fun! Tradtions were done and no-one was hurt and it was all good fun! Plus to everyone who was here before for us, you guys said there was " No pressure" and we had the choice to do it or not..

Other then that I had a blast and would do it all over again, Thanx for a great night!
    People who also thought it was a blast would do it again, it was a way to meet people.

Thanx from Ashie,Shanna,Jossy,Jayson and Rosie

17. JoRdAnA

JoRdAnA New Member

Hey Jossy!!!!

Ahh so excited to see you on here. Well thats great you had a first night. I hope you have lots of fun, and let me know how is goes. Been talking to Chelsea and she has been giving me th update..Have fun!!!

Jordana :D

18. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Ashley...

I see that you are Cart Tart!! I was Cart Tart too. Who did you get it thrown down from???

Shan

19. StarsMeltMidnight

StarsMeltMidnight New Member

Hey Shan, I got it thrown down to me from Jessica (Rabbit!) about 3 weeks ago. I actually remember seeing your signature on the Cart Tart shirt!

And to Ashie, Shana, Jossy, Jayson and Rosie, I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed your throw-in.
    Hope you guys are having a good time here thus far.

Ashley

20. Ashie

Ashie New Member

Hey Shan,

I have no idea thats what im doing.. cool cool.. is it fun?

ashie