How's the transit system?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Matt1133, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I just have a question and I figured since you guys have been there, you might have an idea of how good the transit system is in Orlando. Thanks!

2. KC

KC New Member

I can't remember whether it's the website or one of the info booklets, but according to Disney, public transport in Florida is "minimal".

In other words, with the exception of the buses to and from work/walmart-and the WDW bus fleet, there's little if any bus transport in Orlando.

That's what I'm taking from "minimal" anyway.
    KC

3. brodie1

brodie1 Guest

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

KC is correct. 'Minimal' = virtually non-existent!

5. belle

belle New Member

Public transportation in Orlando sucks!

We wanted to take a bus to Florida Mall once. We had to take one bus to downtown Orlando - then wait there....with all kinds of nasty and scarylooking people and then catch another but so the mall.....the bus stopped like every 2 minutes and I think the entire trip took almost 2 hours.....

We took a taxi on the way home...and that ride was like 15 minutes if I don't remember it all wrong...

6. KC

KC New Member

I think someone told me (cant remember who though...) that taxis in orlando are "cheap and easy to get"...

So there's yer answer, I suppose :p
    KC

7. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Cool, sounds good to me!

8. Mara Mouse

Mara Mouse New Member

Cheap taxis are a good thing. Less chance of getting lost that way.

What about renting a car. Is there any place close to the commons?

Oh, and are there any shuttle buses to any other Florida attractions ... like Universal or Sea World. I know there are for guest, but can cast members use them too?

9. Ona

Ona Member

You are talking to the hire car queen. ;D There are loads about and most give CMs a discount ;) but I found Avis to be the best (not necessarlily the cheapest, but most reliable and they don't try to rip you off). They are located in the Hilton in downtown Disney and wil come pick you up if you call. ;)

The Lynx (info. here) does suck but it is possible to use as long as your are prepared for a loooong journey. You can get the lynx from the Premium outlet mall (across the street from the commons) to the florida mall but the journey takes about an hour (by car, 20 mins ::) ). You can also get the Lynx from the Transportation & Ticket centre to Sea World but it involves a transfer and there is an easier way...

You can also catch the I-Ride trolley (info. here)from the Preium Outlet mall to Sea World (if you don't mind all the sunburnt scuzzers ;D ) and International drive, where you can easily get to universal.

The busch gardens shuttle also leaves from the Premium outlets. Never used it myself but 'tis v. handy.

Taxis are no problem and you'll get to know the regular cab drivers. I wonder if Kojak etc. are all still there? :-\ ;D

But basically, hire a car whever you can. ;D ;D ;D

Ona x

10. belle

belle New Member

Wow Ona is Kojac still there??? HE wasn't back in 97-98 I think but when I visited my friend in 2001 I rememer taking his taxi..he he he he!

11. Mara Mouse

Mara Mouse New Member

Wow, thanks Ona! That's so great to hear, I doubt I'll take my car down with me ... I don't do so well with big city driving ... plus that's a really long car ride all alone.

12. Mara Mouse

Mara Mouse New Member

What about transit to Disney Parks ... like for our days off?

How easy is it to get to MK, AK and MGM? And do the buses run to Epcot only in the morning and evening (ie. can i go in the middle of the day when I'm not working)?

Thanks for the help!

13. Jorden

Jorden New Member

If I understand correctly, there's a pretty comprehensive Disney transport system and I think you can catch busses to any of the parks right from the commons...

Can anyone elaborate on that at all (or maybe tell me I'm not right? lol)

14. Canadian_Sara

Canadian_Sara New Member

:-\ The bus system while I was there was terrible. I have heard that they have gotten a new company to do the busses since I have left, but I hear its still not great.

There are busses that go from the commons, vista, and chatham to each park and dtd. From what I remember the busses went to Epcot every 20 minutes and to the other parks every 30. They also make stops or stop at places where you can connect to the resorts, golf courses and water parks. Pretty much everywhere on property. And once you are on Disney property you can take the Disney busses which are amazing! There is also a bus that goes to Walmart every day exccept for one day a week it goes to the Florida Mall, and it changes monthly. And the busses bring you back from PI when it closes ;)

It seems good, but the busses are often late, leave early or just decide not to show up so you need to go a half hour to an hour early just incase you miss the bus. Its good to know the bus stations phone number, and also to have the phone number from work because the bus system really sucks.

15. Ona

Ona Member

Yeah the buses laid on for Cps and IPs etc run all day pretty much (as do the Disney buses themselves). Folks shifts start and finish all the time so buses have to run to accomodate that. Not exactly luxury transportation but at least it's free. ::) ;D

If you can take your car, take it! Where you'll be isn't in a big city. Even downtown Orlando isn't a big city. Driving really is a skoosh there. I'm telling you, if I could drive my wee pink car across the atlantic, I would. ;D

Ona x ;)

16. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Yep, I rented cars ALL the time too. I was one of the few who used Enterprise a lot. The cars were not the fanciest, but I usually found them to be the cheapest. Look online as you can often get even better deals. Sometimes, you can get a car for a few days for just as cheap as one or two!! It was better when the bus would go to the old Walmart. I used to take the bus to there and then catch a cab to the mall which wasn't really far from there. Used to cut a few bucks and a LOT of time, but now I guess they go to the close Walmart. Too bad there goes that plan.

Shan

17. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

It's true, it's not big city driving, only very CRAZY driving. I never saw people drive this way anywhere else ( and I drove in New York City ). I had no car, but sometimes went to the beach with friends that had a car or rented one. I was so busy with partying, too, that I didn't really miss having a car. Whenever my friends or parents came for a visit they had a car and we would go shopping and to Downtown Orlando.
    The bus system in Florida is pretty lame. It takes forever to get from A to B and the busses never come on time. On the other hand it only costs $1 here for even a 1 hour drive, so you can't expect much I guess.
    Julia

18. Mara Mouse

Mara Mouse New Member

Well when I say city I mean any city really. I live in a town so small we don' even have traffic lights. I go to school and work in the city close to us and for the most part I'm alright ... downtown still scares me a little though, and I can't paralle (sp?) park.

Thanks for the info everyone ... and Ona I will consider bringing my car if you recommend it so much.

19. CANADIAN

CANADIAN Guest

Hey,
    So im getting to Orlando early and i am planning on going to walmart and getting all my stuff. I need to no ....I want to get a cab to walmart and back home.....how much is that going to cost me and how long is the trip (there and back)) ..also is it easy to do this??
    Thanks!!

20. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Yeah I know what you mean it is definitely kinda scary to drive in Florida. BUT you will get used to it and you will not need to know how to park parallel lol There are so many huge parking garages and lots, don't worry.
    WalMart is GREAT!!! You should find someone to drive you I don't know how expensive it is, but on the other hand it will be VERY worth it. WalMart is so cheap and really good stuff.

Julia