ICP J1 Academic Exchange 2010

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by beccac123, Nov 22, 2009.

1. beccac123

beccac123 New Member

Hey, So, everyone I speak to seems to be doing the summer programme and not the Academic Exchange so I figured why not create a thread just for those doing the Academic Exchange.
    So lil bout me - I'm Rebecca, 20, from Aberdeen - Scotland, I will be leaving on the 31st January to do Merchandise and Operations and I am sooo excited. Would love to meet any others that will be joining me and make some friends before heading off!
    :)

2. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

Hey Rebecca! I'm participating in the J1 on Jan 31 as well! ;D I'm 19, from the Netherlands and I'll be working in Hospitality. I've received my Visa last week and I've booked my ticket as well. So I'm ready to go... still 70 days! :eek:

Greetings,
    Jason :)

3. beccac123

beccac123 New Member

Ah how exciting. I still need to make my visa appointment but still waiting to receive info from yummy jobs. Have you got facebook? If so add me - rebecca cannon robert gordon uni network.

4. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

My visa appointment was the worst thing ever!! :mad: Some people there weren't nice at all! Thank goodness I've got the visa now. My departure date back home is on July 30, but I'll be staying with my parents in Florida for a 2 week holiday.

5. beccac123

beccac123 New Member

What was so bad about the visa appointment? What kind of things did you get asked? I still haven't received pack from yummy jobs so can't do anything. Just e-mailed them though and they said they would be sending the packs out and we should receive them before christmas - they leave everything so late, i'm going to be so rushed with having to go down to london to get visa inbetween xmas an end of jan. What is inside the pack?

6. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

This pack includes: your acceptance letter from Disney (this one is important), some information about the Disney look and your visa application, a sample housing agreement and some information about everything you know already about the program. The most important thing is the package you'll get from your US university. This includes your DS-2019 form, which you'll need for your Visa interview.

My visa interview started off wrong. :( The guy told me I forgot some information to fill in so I needed to recheck everything. After 10 minutes I came back to the desk. Before my visa interview I needed to pay 90 EUR for the visa and I had to take a proof of payment with me. So I did, but unfortunately the guy said that he couldn't accept the page I had printed off from my internet banking account as a proof of payment. So I had to pay another 90 EUR. But the best part of this story is is that I had to put my signature under a form. This form said that I will not be able to claim the other 90 EUR back! :mad:

The rest of the interview went okay. But it took 2 hours (mostly waiting and waiting)! The question round took around 10 minutes. They'll ask simple questions, like: Who is going to pay for your stay?, Why have you visited the US before?, What are you going to do in the US?, How long will you be participating in this program. Trust me, nothing to worry about :D.

I hope you'll get the info packages soon because when you have your visa it feels a lot more serious! LoL. ;D

7. oogaboogallama

oogaboogallama New Member

Hi Rebecca and Jason!

Im doing the J1 as well. :) Im Kristy from New Zealand, and im 19. Working in Attractions and Merchandise. Moving to Florida- with as much stuff as I can possibly jam pack into my suitcase- on the 22nd of Jan. So excited! Got my visa the other day, and have booked my flight! Woohoo :) Hope your visa stuff all goes ok Rebecca!

8. beccac123

beccac123 New Member

Ah haven't been on in a few days so didn't see reply! Thanksss. Still waiting ot receive pack so it's going to be such a rush! Have you got facebook? I'll add you or you add me... i'm Rebecca Cannon and should be in the robert gordon uni network. :)

9. Spideyuki

Spideyuki New Member

Hi :) I'm Yuki from Japan. I got accepted for Lifeguard. well I was supposed to be a Merchandise cast, but my VISA support university couldn't host because of changing US VISA system....so I got another University...(University of California, Riverside) and new offer letter...and also check-out date was changed to July 30th from August 13th...sad sad sad...

find me on facebook and add me :D

10. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

Hey Yuki! My departure date has changed too to July 30th. I've bought my ticket for August 13th, so I'll be traveling around hopefully.

11. Krish

Krish New Member

Hey guys congrats on being accepted

My name is Krish, from Melbourne Australia, i will being doing the J1 program. I start on July 17th
    and am positioned in Attractions, i cant wait shud be awesome

12. Spideyuki

Spideyuki New Member

Hi Jason!! Do you have facebook account?? or something to contact you?

Guys! Which University support your VISA? my university is University of California, Riverside. I have to take 2 weeks courses at the university before going to Orlando......

13. kimmiedancer

kimmiedancer New Member

I'm from NZ and start the same day!

14. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

My Facebook should be on: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000406209291 . My US sponsoring Uni is CMU (Central Michigan University).

I first received a letter of acceptance from Disney which said my departure is August 13, 2010. Later on my DS-2019 form for my visa arrived which said my departure date was July 30, 2010. So I contacted them but they said it was changed.

15. Krish

Krish New Member

Haha dats awesome. I was born in New Zealand and lived there for 7 yrs then moved down to Melbourne. Where bouts in NZ you from?

16. kimmiedancer

kimmiedancer New Member

I'm from Wellington :p
    However, I actually have an aussie passport cos I'm like 75% aussie! XD

17. MissMouse1990

MissMouse1990 New Member

Hi everyone, I just found out on Monday I have been accepted for the J1 academic programme starting July 20th!!
    So excited!!!
    1 whole year in Orlando, I am so excited!
    Any one else going around this time? xxxx :)

18. j.fritschij

j.fritschij New Member

Well, congratulations with you acceptance!!! :)