ICP options

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by whereyourdreamscometrue, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hi guys,
    I have just completed the summer ICP but I was wondering if there were any other options other than the CRP which really doesn't appeal to me. Thanks guys.

2. cowza

cowza New Member

There's the J1 Academic Program I did. It's a six month program and similar to the summer program in that you can potentially work anywhere. You also take classes in Hospitality Management at UCF. You have to be a recent graduate to be able to do this program though.

Other than that there is some kind of front desk program but I don't know too much about that. You should ask Yummy Jobs.

3. Thanks, I have e-mailed Jason so I shall just have to wait and see. I don't think I would want to do the front desk programme. I just want to be back there with the people that I have left behind. Is the J-1 academic programme specific to universities or does it not matter which uni you have attended (I will be graduating in July 2009)

4. cowza

cowza New Member

As always it's not straight forward. There are a few J1 programs. There is one which is actually part of a degree. It's for those studying 'Tourism' or some kind of hospitality qualification where the degree requires you to spend some time working in the industry... a placement almost. Your university would normally be affiliated in someway with Disney World (but doesn't have to be). This is because your school sponsors you to do it. It's possible to work something out with your school though if they don't have any connections to Disney. That program is usually for a year.

The one I did where you take classes at UCF is for applicants who are recent graduates or who are about to graduate. That program is still pretty new tho so they keep making slight changes to it. I suspect yummy jobs can verify for you what programs you are eligible for though :)

They add programs also. There has been talk for a long time of bringing back internships for international applicants. It could happen... just keep looking out for things!

5. Jason e-mailed me back today and he says that I can either apply for the UCF graduate programme or the summer icp which I have already done. I think I am going to apply for the 6 month UCF programme and then see what I can do about extending or hopefully staying. Could you tell me some more about the UCF programme? What roles are available etc etc.

6. cowza

cowza New Member

The UCF program is the most costly because you have to pay $2000 in tuition fees plus all the other visa fees. A bus will take you from your housing complex to the classes. You'll either have them on a Friday or Saturday. Everyone doing the same program as you will go on the same day. They have a range of classes on offer you can choose from ranging from event management, guest service management, IT in the tourist industry, theme park management and even wine tasting. You'll pick four altogether and do two each semester.

Job wise it is pretty much the same as the summer ICP... nearly all of the basic roles are open to you... so there is merchandise, custodial, operations, character performer, character attendent, f&b quick service, vacation planner, front desk... probably more I forgot. But you can basically do anything except most things to do with entertainment (like singing in one of the shows... being a dancer etc).

As with the summer ICP, when they give you the list of roles to put in orde of preference I would advice you not to tick too many. At the end of the day they'll put you where they most need you. If you put something like custodial as your 6th choice and not many people had picked that... they would be likely to put you down for that. If you see what I mean?

Only pick ones you want to do coz people don't always get their first choice ;-) And in the interview try and be verbal about where you might like to work. Your interviewer has the power to put you somewhere specific if maybe it was your dream to work on dumbo in the magic kingdom or something. Once you've had that interview... that's it!

7. I am planning to do Custodial anyway. I did it this summer and loved it to bits. I was told that I can be as specific as I want even down to the area. Even if they can't get me the area they said they could get me the park so I can pick up shifts etc.

8. cowza

cowza New Member

Yeh definitely. If there is a specific location you want to work at let them know at the interview!

9. Helix

Helix New Member

Hey,

I'm doing the ICP (graduate program) and start on October 5th... still haven't thought about the university side of things :p
    Anyway what are the best courses to do? Or what would you recommend? (open question to anyone who reads)

I want to do Theme Park Management, but other than that there's nothing that really stands out.

10. alex_wallington

alex_wallington New Member

I finished my program on the 18th July and i loved every second of it!!!! I did the ICP uni of c florida Hosp Management! I really enjoyed Theme Park and Wine Tasting and also learnt quite a bit in guest service but had a shocking experience with Event Manag. The Prof was call Kris Shoemaker so if you seee his name anywhere DO NOT DO THE CLASSS! it was a complete joke from beginning to end and i spent most of my claasses writing notes between my classmates- he talk for 1 hr 45 mins about how to set out chairs for a conference- SERIOUSLY!!! but all in all- dont expect to come out of there learning much but as an experience its pretty fun at UCF- it was the one day we could all get together and gossip about the week!! I lived at Vista Way and really entered into Vista social life- there was always something happening somewhere and i made so many different friends from just hanging out at the pool and going to the parties and clubs! I wish i could do it all again....i know that $2000 is a loot of money but it was worth every hard earned penny! if you have any questions then get in contact- i love talking about it to anyone that listens!! and if your thinking about the just go for it!! it was the BEST 6 months of my life- even better than UNI!?!?!?!?!!!!!

xxxxxxxx

11. Hey, when do you have to pay the $2000 and does the day you have your classes on count as one of you two days off?

12. Helix

Helix New Member

According to the stuff that the university sent with the Visa, you can pay on the day of induction, or you can pay beforehand... payment methods are either (from memory here): Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express and ???), Cash, Cheque or Wire/Bank Transfer. They recommend paying before you arrive - which is what I'm planning on doing.

Yes, classes count as one day off... 5 Days Working at Disney, 1 Day of Study, and 1 Day Off.

On another note...

I think I'm going to do Introduction To Theme Park Management, and Guest Service Management (not sure if thats the correct title) as for the other two we need.... any recommendations?

13. cowza

cowza New Member

Theme Park is really interesting. I was glad I did that one. And then guest service... a bit hit or miss but the tutor I had was really funny and knew what he was talking about. He used to sing sometimes on request haha.

I have to recommend wine. It's so much fun and at least you get a new skill out of it!

And the day you have classes does count as one of your days off. There will be periods when you don't have classes tho. Classes only take up 20 weeks in total (two blocks of 10). And it's not like the university experience you'll be used to... there won't be studying and 2000 word essay assignments. You just wouldn't have the time working at Disney and Disney are aware of that too. If on the off chance you did have to do some *homework* it would be something really simple and easy.

14. alex_wallington

alex_wallington New Member

Andddd on the days you are at class you get a free luch- usually burger or pizza- but hey on the wages you eanr free lunch is perfect!!