ICP Summer 2011 !

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by emmdee, May 23, 2010.

1. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Hi guys,

it might be early but I'm super excited - applications for 2011 are opening in just a month (At least, they are here in Canada) .. so I thought I would post here and get to know my possible colleagues next summer! ;D

So, who's applying? I know I definitely am! I'm hoping to get either attractions, merchandise, main entrance or character attendant. For everyone who does, also, good luck! Let no one be turned away :)

2. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I will be applying for ICP Summer 2011, i did it last year and i loved it so i will try again nxt year for summer 2011.

I am from the UK so applications will not open until August. :D

3. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Awesome! Good luck... I've never done this before so hopefully I get it. Are you gonna apply for the same position or something new?

4. leomgray

leomgray New Member

You dont necessarily apply for a position, you apply to the program, then you will get a phone interview then a face to face interview which is where you pick your preferences in roles. I was Merchandise last summer, i would love to go back to the area i worked in most definitely but i feel i should go for something else, i would Character Performer of Attractions.

Do you ahve an idea of what role you would like to do?

5. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Aha sorry, that's what I meant! I've been lurking these forums a little bit lately so I knew that :D

Anyways, awesome! All those roles sound epic - I would love to be a character performer too, but I have no acting or dancing experience and would probably epically fail at that. Also, I'm 5ft.. so that doesn't help much. I think I've narrowed it down to Character Attendant, Merchandise, Attractions, or Main Entrance. Somehow I think if I get in, I'll end up in merchandise since I have experience in that... but who knows. I think they all would be really fun!

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I had a lot of experience in Merchandise so i have a feeling that is why i got that role, and my area was perfect when you took my resume into relation, all my experiences and work from the past were encorporated in my role at Disney, it was amazing :D
    As to Character Performer, 5ft is the perfect height for a Character Performer, im sure 5ft is mouse heigh meaning you could be friends with Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Lilo, Stitch etc. It is always worth a try i suppose.
    I wiil try for Character Performer as my 1st role, but i dont think i have the right height for the role tbh :D

7. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Awesomeness, I'm glad you loved it!

Really.. I didn't know that was mouse height. Somehow I thought that I'd have to be 5ft and a few inches at least. But still, no acting/dancing experience = lame. But I suppose there's no harm in putting myself out there for it. Maybe I will :)

As for your height, how tall are you? I thought they would have a place for all heights, as long as you weren't below the minimum or anything... well, give it a shot, it's not like you have anything to lose, right?

Do you know how it works? I heard for the regular college program they have to go for an audition to be a performer... I'm assuming we would too?

8. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Yea everybody has to go for an audition before they can be a Character Performer. I am borderline 6ft so yes i can be a Character Performer but i would have a better chance if i was say 6'2".

I have a list of all the character heights but you are most definitely in the best height range. There are characters for all heights, it is just there are the more popular and needed at low and high heights, if you get what i mean :D
    Being friends with the characters is an amazing role, it is praised by all the Character Performers i know. I will definitely try again to see if i would be able to get the role, but i will need to wait and see if i get through to the face to face interviews :D

I loved it and a miss it soooooooooo much, i am hoping i get to return next summer, i will hope for the best and remember to always smile :D

9. Mikey

Mikey New Member

I'm going to be applying for next year as well. :) I thought that the applications were going to be open June, not August though??

10. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Leomgray - Well, that kinda blows in terms of your height, sucks that what they care about most is something we can't control - i hope it will still work out though, I'm sure you'd be a great performer! Besides isn't 6ft near the 'special consideration' category? And then I heard there's your real height and your Disney height, which could either be the same or different...who knows, you could get lucky :D

Thanks for the info - definitely appreciate it! One last question - like I said, I have no acting/dancing experience whatsoever - I've always been behind the scenes. I didn't even take drama in high school (I always considered it, thought it would be fun and interesting, but never did - I don't know why!), and I'm not a theatre major in uni, but I am in a program that is a mix of both behind and in front of the camera (aka being the talent) work. I've acted in a couple things, but it's mostly petty school junk that wouldn't even be worth mentioning. As for dancing - yeah, nothing whatsoever.

So, that being said...is it required for me to have at least some experience to even go to the audition? Obviously, the more experience you have the better, but if you absolutely NEED at least something under your belt to even try out, then there's no point in me going for it. If not I guess I'll try it out anyways and see what happens. I doubt I'd get far, but it looks like fun so why not :)

Mikey - That's awesome that you'll be applying too! I'm not sure when the applications come out in your country, best thing would be to do what I did and e-mail your recruiter. That's how I found out they are opening in July here in Canada. What role(s) are you hoping to get?

Also, this is just a general question - people in the regular college program, or so I have heard, get to be PhotoPass photographers and there's a few other roles I've seen that I never saw for ICP... is that an option for ICP'ers? I have lots of photography experience and would love to do that. I also think the hospitality roles would be interesting too, like front desk at a hotel or something along those lines - but haven't seen that for ICP either!

Thanks to everyone/anyone who can answer these many crazy questions! :)

11. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Hiya emmdee, I e-mailed the UK recruiter, and it seems applications open in June here! ;D I'm hoping to go for operations or merchandise - but I'm guessing that they will be pretty competitive positions! Still, I can carry on dreaming about working at Splash Mountain...

12. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Haha Mikey, I'm sure they'll let you in! Why? Because I said so :D .. but that's awesome that applications open in June! Only a few more days left then, and I have to wait a whole month! You must tell me how it all goes :). I don't know how competitive this program is (Never done it before), but hopefully we all make it!

13. helveticarock

helveticarock New Member

if i don't end up getting off the waitlist for the crp this summer, i'll be applying for icp 2011 as i'll be back at uni!

14. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Well, helveticarock, good luck getting off the waitlist for crp, I'm sure it must be horrible waiting, and I really hope you make it in! But if you don't get it, good luck for applying for icp 2011 :D it will be fun no matter what! What roles were you hoping to get?

15. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Hey emmdee, thanks for the considerate words :D Yes there is your normal height and your Disney height, i would most likely be raised in height a little. 6ft is more borderline but there is no harm in trying. Dancing is not necessary for being a Performer, my friend Laura who is out at the moment has no dancing experience and she has now started her role as a Performer so i wouldnt worry about your experience.

As for the roles you are talking about, i do not know of any ICP on Photopass, i do not know if it is something to do with training or experience but as the same with everything else all you can do is ask and see how it goes. Now hospitality roles as in front desk are more considered for internships and the J1A program but you can always ask to see if you would be able to pursue this as a role on the ICP.

Due to the length of time on the program is it preferred that you would not be spending a lot of time training. Where i worked i had a lot of training to go through but it was staggered through the summer and i thought it was great as it gave me a lot of variety in my type of role and work.

I am surprised the UK applications open so early, it is normally August they open. I must check that out and apply :D

With reference to competition, in the UK this program can be very competitive and i think it varies between years. I do not know about the Canadian program, it all just depends on applicants and i know they try and die down a lot of numbers with the CV and phone interview aspects. But don't worry about it, just focus on you and showing you are the perfect person for the role. Be happy and with a little bit of pixie dust you will go far.

Chin up and have a magical day

P.S. Anymore questions then don't hesitate to ask

16. helveticarock

helveticarock New Member

oh, it's awful, and i still have a few more months to possibly hear anything! i marked f&b as #1 because i have the most experience there, but honestly, i don't think there could be a place where i wouldn't be ecstatic just being there!! i know, but if i got in for ICP, my dream of dream jobs would be to be a skipper on the jungle cruise because i know all the jokes already.

17. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Leomgray - thanks so much for your answers! You're awesome, and in that case, character performer here I come! I have heard that not a lot of ICP'ers are considered for face, but I'd love to be friends with Tink, Alice, or Wendy if I can (I know they're in my height range!)... who knows, I could get lucky and so might you! Thanks for your considerate words too :D Good luck to all of us, I hope you get your dream role also :)

Helveticarock - A few more months? Oh dear god :( .. I wish you well man. They better not turn you down!
    ... and those sound like awesome roles! I hope you get it, and I know what you mean - even if I don't get my #1 (which is now character performer, although I have no experience, since I can I am trying out for it anyways!), I would be totally content with anything else - just being there would be amazing, considering I've never been!

As everyone says, have a magical day!

18. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I have never known any ICP to be a face character as it is a different process, they are longer and more professional interviews and auditions for that type of role. As with anything you can always ask, i mean what is the worst that could happen anyway :D
    I would love to be one of the Princes, i think that would be super awesome.
    And no problem, i am happy to answer anything you have to ask :)

19. emmdee

emmdee New Member

Yeah, I figured... Like I said, I doubt I'd get far. But why not try and see what happens? I doubt I'll make it but who knows :)... Worst they can say is no, right?

Good luck, i'm sure you'd make an amazing prince. It sucks that face characters are so much harder to get! And thanks for helping answer my questions again!

20. Rebecca03

Rebecca03 New Member

I am applying this year :)

Can't wait to get in my CV :)