Info about US Embassy in London

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by britishseapower, Apr 4, 2007.

1. britishseapower

britishseapower New Member

Sorry if this has been done before, my train gets into London Euston as I was led to believe that was the closest station to the embassy on UK multimap but when I put the proper address in it mentioned some other station. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how far the embassy is from Euston station? Thanks

2. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Re: Getting to the US Embassy in London

I don't..AA the post code of the embassy and the post code of euston station...

You'll be able to get an underground somewhere 2 the embassy tho from euston, i did when i got the train there last year..

3. rachet

rachet New Member

london embassy

how strict is their "no phones" policy?? can you take one and leave it at the entrance somewhere with them?? I'll be pretty stuck without one having to go all the way to london!

and when they say no large bags, how large is too large? i want to take a shoulder bag (the kind of size you can fit a ring binder in). would that be too big?

any help would be ace. cheers!

4. acp

acp New Member

Re: london embassy

When I went last year, you could take your phone in with you as long as it's switched off. It was only cameras they asked people to leave behind at the security desk.

They did x-ray whatever bags/etc you have with you etc, a bit like airport security really.

I doubt it's changed much since then (late August).

Andy.

5. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

as long as you dont drive throughthe door with a tank shouting `death to America`, they are not stricter than an airport

6. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

That size bag is fine to take too. I think phones and ipod can be taken into the embasy, just switched off, although im sure i saw some people listening to music.

Also remeber to take food as you'll be in there for hours and the food to buy at the embassy is really expensive!

7. Jay1988

Jay1988 New Member

So if i went in the embasy, with me uni bag, with me docs, ipod fone n food init, wud that be ok, or would ther b a chance of them saying go home ur takin the piss. lol

8. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

As far as I know they just keep items that are "unacceptable" until you leave..

The embassey is actually one of the scariest places i've ever been in my life, there are two men stood outside of it with massive sniper guns :eek:

9. acp

acp New Member

There's more than two of them :p

That'll most likely be fine.

They told me that I could listen to my iPod "discreetly" if I wanted to. Might be better not to, though, so that you don't miss your number being called!

Andy.

10. Tan

Tan New Member

Went a few weeks ago and they will def take ya ipod/ mobile off you and give you a ticket number to collect it when you have ya visa sorted. Theyve changed the rules agin this year and you cant take them in with you. They also take food and drink off you too. Proberly because they want to make you buy their very overpriced drinks and food!! I left my stuff at victoria station in their secure luggage place think it cost about £2. x x

11. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

If they won't let you in with your ipod they should provide us with entertainment instead of leaving you stuck in a building for about 5 hours twidling your thumbs!

12. Emi

Emi New Member

Roughly how long were you guys there? Are you allowed to take a book in with you?

13. rachet

rachet New Member

also it said take a passport photo, which it said was 50mm by 50mm...but the photobooths iv been to and have got my photos from said the approved passport size is 45 by 35...i hope that will be ok cos its all i have!!

14. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

15. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Thats the English size isn't it..I wouldn't do what people in the shops tell you 2 do, do what the american people tell you to do..otherwise you'll risk your visa..

They are really funny about the photo as well..like all your face has to show and stuff like that and i don't think you can show your teeth, things like that..Its best to get the 50mm by 50mm one if thats what they tell you 2 do, because they really are so strict about it..Something like the size they'll be really funny about as well, if its not perfect that they won't give you a visa..

16. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

to be totally honest every time that i have been to the embassy for my visa they have accepted the passport pictures you get from the photo booth so i would say don't worry about it.

17. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Fair enough...i was always told tho they were pretty strict about it..Although i didn't even have an interview when i went last time, did anyone else?

They asked me 2 questions as i was walking towards the booth and by the time i'd got to the booth they'd stamped my visa approved!

18. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

visa interview is normally a few questions which sucks because they keep you there for so long for some thing that ends up taking so little time.
    if you are concerned about the size of the pics when you call up about your interview just ask them as they should be able to tell you either way.

19. Rymundo

Rymundo New Member

yeah should be alright, and when they say "what are you doing after your employment ends?" say "COMING STRAIGHT HOME" and smile
    haha

Ry

20. elusivemoose

elusivemoose New Member

Ook, I am an idiot and booked a visa appointment for before I'm going back to uni... so have no way of getting the letter saying I'm going back for next year. I've e-mailed Yummy to see if they can scan in the letter I've got from them saying I'm a member of the uni, etc, but do you reckon an e-mail from my head of school will do? Or does it have to have the university crest on it.

Also, will jeans be ok for the interview? I know it says dress up a little, but how much does that mean?!