J-1 Academic Program

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by Tinkerbe11ing, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tinkerbe11ing

Tinkerbe11ing New Member

I already did the Cultural Rep. program in Epcot, and now I am looking to do the J-1 Academic Program.
    I would highly appreciate it if someone could please give me all the ups and downs about it... :)

2. *tinkerbell*08/09

*tinkerbell*08/09 New Member

hey tinkerbe11ing

i was accepted for the j-1 academic program for this year, from the 19th august to january (5months).
    from what i know we'll having classes once a week, 3 to 4 hours. we'll have some assignments, paperworks, homework... every 3 weeks we have to deliver a "summary"!?...
    i really would appreciate it too if someone could give us more informations :)

3. pkatakia

pkatakia New Member

Hey Tinkerbells!!! :p
    It looks like we're all after a bit of information. I'm applying for the October start date so the interviews are in June I think, am I correct Tinkerbe11ing? And also, Tinkerbell 08/08, did your group have phone interview and was it really hard to get into? I really want it!
    cheers
    x

4. *tinkerbell*08/09

*tinkerbell*08/09 New Member

i had my interview in january, it was really easy, i was so nervous that i had to write topics. yes, we had phone interview a week after our written english test. one or 2 weeks later we got a mail with our job offers that we could accept or not. if we wouldn't accept it, we would not be part of the program.
    it was reeeeeeally easy. yesterday they made face to face interviews with those students that couldn't do it in january.
    now i've to do a lot of paper stuff because the visa... it's so stressing , but i believe it's worth it ;)

Tina

5. Tinkerbe11ing

Tinkerbe11ing New Member

Thanks for replying :)

Well, Disney contacted me before Christmas about a Work Study program with Walt Disney World and the University of Central Florida (Rosen College of Hospitality Mgt). It was a 6 month program that combines coursework at the Rosen College of Hospitality Management with a paid internship at the Walt Disney World Resort. It was a program for students in their last year in college, or for students that have already earned a Bachelor's degree (in any field).

It said that students would be able to choose four seminars from a series taught by Rosen College professors in two eight week blocks. Each seminar would be taught for 2 hours, one day per week for eight weeks (so 16 contact hours). They would be taught back to back with a thirty minute break between.

It also said that students would be placed in entry level positions at one of the four theme parks, two water parks, or 15 hotels that are a part of the WDW Resort. The students would work a min. of 30 hrs per week, at a pay rate of $6,67 USD and $7,17 USD per hour based on role.

And lastly that the UCF Program cost was $2000 USD, payment upon program start date..

So, this past weekend Disney were in Norway to interview for the Cultural rep. program, and I was supposed to interview for Work Study Program. But a couple of days before, they told me that I wasn't able to do it afterall, because if you were still not in school, you had to do it within a year after getting your Bachelor's degree...and since I graduated in 2005, I wasn't able to do it, but they told me to come in for an interview anyway for the Cultural rep. program, which I did, even tho I wasn't interested in doing that again...

During my interview I told them that I orginally had applied for the work study program, but I wasn't fit due to the time frame between my degree and the program, but they said they were gonna look into it.. BUT the case is that I got rather confused when they started to tell me about the program, cuz the lady started talking about the J-1 program, and she was saying that we'd have to take 2 classes a week (which I guess would be the back to back seminars), and work 5 days a week, and have one day off (which I was told before). But then she said we'd have finals at the end, and this is were I was set off, because when they first was in contact with me about it, they said there would be no finals, just seminars with a participation grade, and at the end of the Program, one would recieve a Certificate in Hospitality Management...

So yea, I am confused if there are several different J-1 programs...

I know this turned out to be a novel, haha, but hopefully someone cared to read it all and could clearify my confusion! :D

...it sucks, cuz I really wanna go back to WDW. I LOVED IT THERE - SUCH A HAPPY PLACE, but I wanna do something else than the Cultural rep. program again (which we can do over and over again every other year - haha, I don't even think they have a limit of times you go back and do it, nor an age limit - only a 14 months rule between the programs due to the visa)... It was a fun program, but due to my age, I want something more serious and to start making a career out of it!

Hoookay, that definately turned out to be a novel :D

So, if you have any input, please share! ...to share is to care ;)

6. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

I can't really help you much but there are definately different types of J1 academic programes, but i only know about the UCF one which im going out on in July!

7. Tinkerbe11ing

Tinkerbe11ing New Member

yea, that's what I figured. :)

I saw in my email now that the first one I was offered was a J1A Program... and I guess that's for ppl. with a bachelor's degree, but you can only take it within a year after graduation... And I liked that one, cuz that was seminars with current and former Disney executives etc, and no finals - more stimulating! :)

8. beck-y

beck-y New Member

It's more about working at Disney, the UCF part is a bit of a joke really, though you do get a cool certificate at the end of it.
    You will be working more than thirty hours a week, no homework but you may have the odd presentation you can just blag. You do four hours of classes a week, in which they use one of your days off for.
    So all in all, dont get too excited about UCF, as you are pretty much working for Disney, with a class added on.

9. pkatakia

pkatakia New Member

Is it hard to get into? I mean do loads of people apply for a few number of places?

10. ElisaTonks

ElisaTonks New Member

I have to agree with Beck-y and say tyhat the program is more abouit working for disney than going to UCF, you could say the course is there so disney can recruit more ICP's. I just finished the October 07 -Apr 08 program and loved it and it is definetly the easiest program to get onto at the moment, as the cultural rep program can not offer anywhere near as many open vacancies.

11. Tinkerbe11ing

Tinkerbe11ing New Member

The Cultural Rep. program was fun, and I love how they paid your flight ticket home. But the J-1 academic program has a lot of expenses tho, so that sucks.. 2000 dollars for the classes, plus a two way flight ticket..

So, how many finals did you guys have at UCF?

12. pkatakia

pkatakia New Member

ElisaTonks:
    That's so reassuring to hear that its easy to get onto but I don't want to jinx it just yet. Fingers crossed I get it!

13. cowza

cowza New Member

I'm on the UCF programme at the moment. As it's still quite new they are still constantly changing it to satisfy the people on it.

Would have to agree the UCF bit isn't as exciting as you hope. It's good fun but you won't feel like a UCF student. They don't seem to really get you involved with the rest of the student fellowship. When you have classes you will only see Disney people around.

Your job allows you more flexibility though because you can obviously potentially work anywhere in the Walt Disney World Resort.

You'll have a good time. Just don't take the UCF bit too seriously ;-)

Ben

14. luiselaura

luiselaura New Member

Tell me more!!! I am applying for the UCF program from jan 2009 to july 2009. where exactly do you work? (hotel, parc,...) can you chose? can you also be a character??
    I figured the college thing wasn't too important... but is it nice anyway?

So the UCF ist the same as the grad program...? are there many internationals. do you get to know the people from the other programs?

sorry, many questions. I'm just excited! would be nice to get some answers...

15. cowza

cowza New Member

At your interview you'll be asked to list your job roles in order of preference. The more you list though the less likely you are to get your top choice.

It is a possibility to be a character but it depends how many they have hired on the american college programme. That position wasn't available when I applied because there were no openings. You can apply for most other positions though... from custodial... character attendant... merchandise... guest service... operations. Potentially you can end up working anywhere in Walt Disney World.

You will only be told your role before you go though. You will not know where you are working until you get to Florida. Although you have preferences I highly suggest bringing them up at the interview. If there is a particularly ride you were hoping to be on, or a particular park that is the best time to let it be known!