J1 academic Program

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by gingerbeacon, Apr 4, 2006.

1. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon Guest

So after being put on the waiting list I was talking to Alexis this morning about appling fro the J1 academic Program. She thinks I can apply but has to check with jason to make sure Bournemouth Uni is one of the schools on the list. My question is does anybody have any furhter information on this. I can find very little mention of the program on the web.

2. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

HELLO!

I'm Louisa and I'm on the J1 Academic Program, being one of the universities on the pilot program, so I'm glad to know its going ahead!

What exactly do you want to know?

(oh you'll be glad to know that because of us, the arrival groups for this program will now all recieve time off...so I now offically hate you all because we don't :p)

3. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon Guest

I want to know pretty much anything there is to know. How are the classes? Where are you working and living? How much are teh college fees.

Thanks

4. DisneyGibbs

Erm well we officially start proper disney classes this month...we have been having a Leadership Speaker Series which is class for J1's and gradutated US seniors where CM's in different roles have been talking to us about their careers (the 2004 Ambassadors also came to talk to us and ooooooooooooh I so want to be an Abassador!)

You can pretty much work anywhere in Disney. I currently work in QS F&B at the Main Street Bakery and Cone Shop in MK. I'm moving to operations in May though so I should find out soon where I'll be. But other people in my arrival group have gotten housekeeping and such...it all depends on your university course...I'm doing Tourism with Hospitality, so F&B and Operations fits in well with that.

Our arrival group all live in Vista. We were all new so all got put into apartments together, so nobody was living here when we arrived.

Oh and college fees are somewhat expensive, but you have to think of it as you're paying way less than the Americans have to... initially we had to pay £600 (which hasn't gone out of my account for some reason :-\) and we have to pay another... hmmm well its $900 in 3 installments of $300 so it's not too bad.

I hope that helps!

5. Ona

Ona Member

Thanks for that Louisa. :)

I'm interviewing for the program, as a graduate, in a couple of weeks. But gingerbeacon is so right. Finding any info is soooo difficult (i guess due to the fact it's still in pilot stages ::) ).Hence, 'tis fab to be able to ask you, our wee fountain of knowledge on the subject. ;D

As to roles, you said you can do anything but is that in terms of the gerneral CP roles? :-\ i.e. merch, Qs F&B, recreation, etc., etc. Just wondering if it's possible to do non-entry level roles. I realise that's pretty unlikely but just curious if you know of anyone doing such a thing. Do you know if there are any grads on the program at the mo? How many of you guys are on the prog at the mo and did you share the same arrival date? I've tried asking Int. Rec. but they've just said to wait til the interview for more info but I'm a planning-aholic. ;D I like to know what's goiing on. ;D Oh also, if I remember rightly, you're swapping roles after a few months. Is that common for this prog?

Hmmm... I'm sure I'm gonna find more questions to annoy you with. :-[ Appologies in advance. ;D

Ona x

6. DisneyGibbs

I think it's just the usual CP roles, but to be honest I'm not quite sure. As you guys have found, we didn't have much information except the basic stuff, I didn't even know we were on a new program until I got here.

I think there's about 15 of us on the program; some from TVU and our group from Uni of Glos and we all arrived on the same date, on the same plane.

We all change in May, but I don't know if it is common for the program, being the first group on it! I'd imagine so though, but obviously they are testing out everything on us, so I guess they'll see how the transition goes in May.

7. adjonline

adjonline New Member

What we really want is to be able to do Guest Relations work....!

8. DisneyGibbs

I so want to do that :'(

Actually.. I want to do everything :p

Oh except parking.... ;)

9. KC

KC New Member

^And "it's a small world" ride ops right, Lou?

*chuckles* Heck, if you won't take it, I will!

The boat ride experience might make it easier for me to get to... a certain other boat ride *cough* *prays*
    KC

10. Ste Y

Ste Y New Member

Wow, they're really not letting you have any holidays even though you're there for a year! Gotta say thank you though, I'm arriving on August 15th on the business concentration. Cant wait!
    Oh gingerbeacon, I'm not at one of the pilot uni's but they still let me apply so my fingers are crossed for you.
    Ste

11. DisneyGibbs

OI! I never said I wouldn't take it! I just said I didn't want it! Anything in MK ride ops will be awesome... question...

if F&B in Mk is known as Magic Kingdom Restaurant Operations...is operatoions known as Magic Kingdom Operations Operations? ;D :p

12. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon Guest

Thanks a million for answering those for me. Do you happen to have a list of all the subjects you can study?

13. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon Guest

I also ment to ask if anybody knows if its possible to request holidays while onthis program?

14. DisneyGibbs

To be honest I don't know. For the pilot program they thought we'd all like to work for 11 months straight... but I think you should ask and see if you get vacation time. Everybody can request days off...but it's up to Disney as to whether you get it or not.

Still waiting to hear about mine :-\

15. Ona

Ona Member

Thankyooooou. :)

(I would love IASW!!! Heck, that song's in my head every day any way, at least then I'd have an excuse! ;D It's a world of laughter, a world ........)

Another question: ::) ;D How are your flights arranged? Is it similar to the IP (i.e. disney arrange, you pay, but you get the cost back in your relo at the end of your contract) or the ICP (you pay)?

Also do you know who is "in charge" as it were, of this program? i.e. Dani Mikler or is it someone else's baby? :-\ I'm just trying to get a hold of a disney someone who actually knows answers to questions I have. :-\

Thank yoooooou again,

Ona x

16. DisneyGibbs

Flights are the same as IP... Disney arrange, you pay out of paycheck and then you get a nice lump sum at the end of your program...yay!

I don't have a clue who is ini charge of it...we were never told though I'm pretty sure I can ask ;) lol I have a lot of questions to ask so I'll send an email to the International Programs Office LOL

17. nick_uk

nick_uk New Member

hey guys

I just recieved an email from yummy jobs inviting me to an interview in April for a start date in either may, june, august or september.

I am currently studying marketing with the chartered institute of marketing at a college through distance learning.

I am very excited at the thought of being part of this programme, I really do feel this is another step further in training from the best in the business!!

Has everyone already had thier interview? Ona? or are you going to be there in Leeds?

Cheers

Nick

18. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon New Member

Hi Nick.

Both Ona and myself will be at the Leeds interviews. Just booked my flights now all I need is a hotel to match.

19. Ona

Ona Member

Thanks again Louisa. :)

Woo hoo! Three of us going now. :) We're almost a posse. ;D Not quite on the scale of the March interviews, but hey. ;D

Where are you travelling from Nick? I'm driving down from Glasgow (via Burnley ;D ). Yay! ::) ;D Roadtrip! Lol! ;D

I'm looking for cheap hotels too. I'm too tired at the mo however (eeeeearly mornings at the mo :D ). I'll get stuck into it this weekend probably. I do enjoy a bit of a bargain hunt. ;) If anyone finds a good deal, let us know. ;)

I can't wait to find out what it's actually all about. Soooo exciting. :)

Ona x

20. Hyped

Hyped New Member

Good to hear from others going to Leeds,,

Im coming up from London, jeez you dont say that often nowadays..

Ona, Im a grad too, we can feel a bit older together, in body not spirit of course.. lol!!

B