Jobs after Disney

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by CoolCanuck39, Mar 20, 2006.

1. CoolCanuck39

CoolCanuck39 New Member

Hey everybody!

I was just wondering what kinds of jobs people were able to get after they returned from the program and if Disney really helped to get them?

I have an interview in Toronto at Canada's Wonderland on thursday to be a Guest Services Representative and Disney has really helped to get the interview.

Yes its yet another theme park but this time I actually get to have some responsibility and it has the possibility of advancement! OOOHH AHHH!

Anyway off I go to my next adventure!

2. Littlefoot

Littlefoot New Member

I think there have been a few topics like this, but I'll post my story (a short one) again, in case those old posts are long gone.

I got home from Disney in Nov 2000 and took a bit of a break. I got a job as an Asst. Catering Coordinator at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in Feb 2001 and never looked back. I've been here ever since and got promoted a few years back. I now do large trade shows, conventions, public shows for anywhere between 800 - 25,000ppl. While I was at Disney, I did job shadows in Epcot Events (2) and the Wedding Pavillion (2), so those experiences helped me target the areas I was already zeroing in on for my career. Also, prior to Disney, I had been planning weddings as a part-time career with my own company for a few years. I still do that too, but I have such limited time now doing the events I do at the MTCC that it's become only 1 or 2 for friends.

I think Disney helps you get in for the interview in most hospitality/toursim jobs, but the rest is up to you. I was a bit older by the time I got home (25) and had some work experience prior to Disney, along with 2 University Degrees. Don't underestimate the curiosity of Disney on your resume, but it definitely doesn't guarantee you the job. Your personality, and ability to talk about what you took from the Disney experience (ie training, customer service, ability to think on your feet, etc) is what will help you shine in the interview and make it appear as more than just a year away after school.

ali

3. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Hey Littlefoot... what are job shadows? Can you do it if you're a cultural rep? It's always been a dream of mine to plan fairlytale weddings for WDW... I would love to be able to Job Shadow something like that! Any info would be awesome. Thanks. :D

4. jenindisney

jenindisney New Member

you just have to ask around

I did a job shadow at the Boardwalk hotel, it was just for one day but it was interesting. My manager hooked it up for me as it was with someone that he knew.

5. Littlefoot

Littlefoot New Member

job shadows are the chance to "shadow" another work area. oftne you are with the manager in the area who shows you what they do and takes you along for the day. they are done on days off, and not instead of work...totally your own time.

like jenn said, you just have to ask and show interest. my managers helped with mine too, except for the dream weddings. i am not sure about the wedding pavilion. i really lucked into that, and pushed a bit to do it, since i had wedding planning experience already. but you can always ask...with disney, the more interest you show and the respect you have for your job goes a long way to getting those types of things.

i did a ton of shadows while there: security, park duty manager, my own managers, epcot events, wedding pavilion, and entertainment (tapestry of nations manager). each was either a day or half a day, and they were all great! lots of walking with the park duty and security, and my parade day was crazy windy so i had to climb up to take the wind gust measurements on the railings in case they were too high on the france bridge for the puppets. if ound they opened my eyes up to all the different things that disney has to offer beyond your ip. we were really lucky in canada MAC during my year who pushed to get us tons of things like this. one of my friends even did one with Illuminations and was out on the barge during the show...totally not done anymore!

it's just another example of making the most of your year, and making it more than just the job. they were also listed on my leaving letter which looked good.

ali

6. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Wow thanks for the info Ali!!! I'm really looking forward to doing those. One more thing to be excited for.

Did you take any courses at the Disney University? I know that there are a lot offered... but is it mostly that CP's that do them? Or are Cultural Reps even able to?

Thanks again for the info! I'm excited to see what shadows I can pick up. When did you get back from Disney?

7. Littlefoot

Littlefoot New Member

I'm long since back...I was there Nov 1999 - Nov 2000 (millenium cast). So, I'm sure that job shadows have changed a bit since my day, along with lots of other things. But, you never know what a bit of eagerness can do.

As for DU, I didn't. I do have friends who got their Mousters and one who got their Ductorate degrees. Usually, they are pretty basic business courses and depends on your desire to do them. CP's have to do them, but you don't.

You'll have a great time...even though I offically have grown up, I still miss it down there! In fact, I'll be down there for a convention with my sorority at the end of June and have already set up some reunions with some old managers. You'll just be starting your in-pavilion training when I am there, so I'll stop by and see you to say hi!

ali

8. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

That sounds great! Can't wait to meet you! I'll be earning my ears :D Thanks again for the info.

9. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

I could be wrong, but I think they'd stopped doing job shadows when I was down there because of all the visa technicalities. But not 100% sure.

AND...finally Disney has really paid off in helping get me a job. I was offered a position at a hotel here in Toronto and got the interview purely on my Disney experience. The Manager that hired me was a Merchie waaaaaaay back in the day (he figures probably the 5 bunch), so that got me a total in.

Shan

10. Littlefoot

Littlefoot New Member

Hey Shan,
    Which hotel are you at now?? And, who was the manager?
    Hope things are good with you!
    ali

11. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

That's great Shan! Congrats!

I really hope they haven't stopped job shadows...

12. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

Stephanie,
    During my interview I specifically asked Jeff about DU for the CR and he did say we could get involved with that stuff!! Also with the VOLUNTEARS program!! We can start ASAP he said!! The only thing we pay for in DU is the books!! Can range in price from $10-$120 for them!! I am SURE though that you could find someone else and brib them for thier books!!

Shall be joining in the fun of DU trust me!!

I am one of the "OLDER" upcoming cast members and I have TONS of experience prior to this upcoming visit so this experience is going to only enhance my resume!!

13. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Hey Spa!

Thanks great news!! I really wanted to take a look at what DU has to offer. I was a business major and I hear they offer some really great courses... as for the books, i'm used to them being overpriced!

14. spa_life_girl

spa_life_girl New Member

Yeah Steph......
    The only problem with the price of books is the fact that we get paid with PEANUTS!! HAHAHAH NAW just kidding here!! We do not get paid massive amounts but we should be able to get some books and get off to DU!!

I REALLY look forward to expanding my experience with Disney by attending classes at DU and doing my voluntears expereience as well to continue to volunteering ties I have here in Canada!!

15. cigarqueen

cigarqueen New Member

If you can get a shadow do it. But it's a good idea to network while your'e there.

I was lucky enough to do a few shadows, the best being that of Parade Manager in the Magic Kingdom. SpectroMagic was (still is) my fav thing at Disney so being able to shadow the management of that for 2 parades was cool. It was also the time of the "remember the magic parade" which was also a good one to shadow.
    Oh happy memories lol :D

16. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

I'd love to shadow... but the more I talk with people, the more it looks like you can't shadow anymore... :'(

ps... i loved the remember the magic parade!

17. Jorden

Jorden New Member

I'm pretty sure I asked Leanne about job shadowing in my interview, but I think her answer was that it was part of your training... I'm almost certain she didn't mention doing any outside of that...

18. monkian

monkian New Member

man i really want to do some shadowing...that would be so cool....but will certainly be at du!!!

fingers crossed there will still be some kind of shadowing thing going on!!!
    ;D

19. Ona

Ona Member

There isn't like an official shadowing program or anything. It's just down to who you know (i.e. your managers), who they know and whether your schedule can be worked to allow it. In my year, I only know of 2 folks who did any shadowing (both arranged by the same manager). But like Shan, I also got the impression that for us IPs, shadowing was being made much much harder to do. :-\ Best bet is just to ask your homeroom manager.

Ona x

20. glasgow paws

glasgow paws New Member

hey Littlefoot............

do you remember "crowd control " at the tapestry of nations.hitting unruly british kids over the head with the torches, standing in the blazing sun with terrible hangovers........getting out of work for an hour......ahhh the memories

paul

ps how are ye anyway ? ;D