Just a question...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Dan, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

Hey everyone

Is it true that you have to complete your contract on the International program at Epcot before you have a chance to go on the cruise? I was kinda told that if I self-terminated out here, then my chance of going on the cruise would be all but over.

Cheers

Dan

2. Rudy

Rudy New Member

hello,

when i got offered a job it was subject to many conditions and one of these was my disney re-hire status, basically if i'd left on bad terms or had been terminated they wouldn't employ me.
    i'm sure if you had a really good reason to shorten your contract and you told them from the start they'd be ok about it.
    It's probably better to complete it though (why would you not want to? it flew by!) at least until you graduate, if you don't graduate you don't get the completion certificate and references.

hope that helps somewhat!

;D

3. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

Dan

Rudy is totally spot on - you need rehire status to be considered for employment on DCL. 

Weird thing is... - if you work for DCL and decide you don't like it, you can hand a month's notice in and lose DCL rehire status but not lose rehire status from WDW or any other Disney affliated company....strange (also nice to know that if things don't work out on the cruise - there always the opportunity to work at DLP for example.)

i hope this makes sense to any readers!?

Doei. :)

4. Sophie

Sophie New Member

yeah thats what I thought as well until a friend of mine get hired on the cruise after she self-terminated at Epcot ...
    I dunno  ???

Sophie  :-*

5. Quark

Quark New Member

I heard too, and it's pretty credible, that at least SOMEONE got hired for DCL after terminating at WDW. It was self-termination I believe, not sure what happens if the catch you dealing drugs...

6. Dan

Dan New Member

So,

If I finish my contract in march, presuming Ive already applied before then, how long can the whole process take? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time after your current visa or anything?

Thanks for your help

Dan

7. flavour

flavour New Member

you have to be out of the country for a certain time, 3 months i guess, before you can go back after your visa has expired...same if you've finished one contract with dcl and wanna go back for a second...

later! flavour xoxo

8. RichardGandy

RichardGandy New Member

Just to elaborate slightly on whats already been said,

You can only apply for the Visa when you're in your home country so the length of time you spend at home would really depend on the speed that the Visa is processed. There is no way to get around this and now I believe you even have to visit the embassy in person for an interview before they issue a visa.

The way the Q-1 visa works is slightly complicated but basically, if you extend (ie use the full 15 months of the visa), you have to remain home for 3 months before applying for a new visa. Otherwise there are no similar restrications.

As has already been mentioned, your Disney re-hire status is vital in securing a place on the DCL. If you get terminated then you have no chance, but if you shorten your contract (ie self-terminate) then I would imagine you still have some opportunity.

Rich

9. flavour

flavour New Member

but you rather don't wanna do that either...i know people who still didn't get the job because of the fact that they self-terminated...and why would you wanna leave earlier anyway??

flavour xoxo

10. charlie

charlie Guest

hey dan,

its charlene here, first time i have been on boards since coming home. just a note with the whole dcl if u self terminate thing...

if u self terminate it means you have decided to leave and get no reload and bad rehire status or anything like that which is the bad side....

BUT... you know that if the uk merch has enough staff you can shorten your contract by managers authorisation.. you still get reload and have perfer rehire status. you know a few people who have shortened steve, laura, leyla, etc.

hope that u r enjoying it babes, make the most of it....

charlene.. xoxo :)

11. Dan

Dan New Member

Hey Charlene! ;D

Great to hear from you! How are you doing?

Yeah, Ive considered most things and in an ideal world I'd stay, complete my contract and then go to the DCL. Ive gone as far as I can in UK Merch now, and I may as well look at my other options. I'll probably complete my program though.

So, what are you upto these days?

Dan

12. shannypooh2

shannypooh2 New Member

You are always better to complete your year at WDW than to terminate your contract. Even if you do, if you have a good record and give them at least 30 days you should still have re-hire status. If not you will not be hired by DCL or any other division of the company! My advice would be to complete your year and if DCL is doing interviews for IP participants take part then. Even if you just go to the information sessions and apply at a later date.
    As for leaving the US first, I am Canadian so am not sure how visas work. I believe you must obtain your visa from your home country though. But I do know that when you finish a contract with DCL you have 29 days to leave the US. The usual break times between contracts is 8 weeks. You do not have to wait 3 months in between contracts. Actually if you are on break for more than 12 weeks you lose your seniority and must wait for a position to become available to return which could take quite some time!

Working for DCL can be very rewarding and is a real work experience. You will have gained so much by having DCL on your resume!

Good Luck,
    Shannon

13. Chris

Chris New Member

i'm applying to come and work at epcot next september but am also interested in disney cruise line and had an interview for a youth counsellor position last october (still waiting to here!). From what i can gather from you guys... do they tell you when your at epcot about other opportunities to work around disney, like the cruises? ie you don't just work with them for the year and then say bye bye disney? DO the cruise line come round and look to hire people who are on the program?

I'm confused, puzzled, excited, aargh! Disney is driving me mad, i just want to work there but all this waiting and not knowing information is driving me insane!!!
    Chris

14. T

T New Member

DCL does do interviews for those doing the WDWIP. I interviewed while I was finishing up at Epcot. Even if they offer you a contract it is conditional until you finish at Epcot and are able to get home and complete a background check and medical. After that is done you are put on the list of those people who are ready to go and then they will give you your date of departure.

15. topsassyuk

topsassyuk New Member

Have you heard about the youth counsellor job yet?

16. ItsTough2BePatty

ItsTough2BePatty New Member

what i knew was that if you self-term you can get re-hire status after 6 months. If they termminate you, well that's another story