lifeguards

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World College Program' started by jayni, May 6, 2006.

1. jayni

jayni New Member

hey.. any soon to be lifeguards out there???

i go out there May 30th and cant wait to see where i get placed! hoping for a park.. but i think a resort would be cool also.. in a laid back kinda way!!
    i heard the new guards at typhoon all jump off the huge wave wall when they first get placed.. i dunno if its true.. but its got to be a cool (scary!) way to start your job!!

jayni
    xx

2. Michael

Michael New Member

hey

im gonna be a lifeguard then too kiddo... 22 days til it all begins ey.... pair of red shorts and some Oakleys.. The Dream 8)

i hope to GOD i end up in a water park they look SOOOOOOO much more entertaining.. obviously i wont be complaining with anywere i get but i fancy the challenge of a waterpark...

havent heard that about Typhoon Lagoon but it wouldnt suprise me in the slightest.. its not that big a drop so i wouldn't worry...

3. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I don't know about an initiation jump, but I'm sure you'll end up jumping off in a rescue during your stay...!

4. jayni

jayni New Member

ok.. i was only small last time i went.. i thought it was HUGE then!! haha.. maybe not.

i really really hope i get a park too!! dont mind which.. and yeah a hotels would be cool too.. but so much more going on in a park!

i cant wait.. one more exam to go.. then three weeks before we hit the florida sunshine!!!! oh yeah!

although.. im going tohave to do something about a tan soon... want to do the red swim suit justice! :D

jayni
    xx

5. Mat

Mat Guest

Hi folks,

I will be flying out from Gatwick on the 4th June.

Apparently the Disney water parks need quite a lot of attention......Americans seem to have trouble swimming! lol. So I think we will be quite busy!

If you want to chat my MSN is: mheaume@hotmail.com

Speak to ya soon,

Mat

6. adjonline

adjonline New Member

The British swimmers at the waterparks are worse, trust me!

7. Dav

Dav New Member

Hi every ones i'll be a life guard too , i going out the 23th june and i'm so exciting to lifeguarding in a disney waterpark . But i got some question about the lifeguard test and training , what do u know about it ?
    I have any experiences in lifeguarding and what about yours ; nevertheless i'm a good swimer but i still anxious about that test .

bye bye .

Florida ---> Only two month to wait for ur sun

8. jayni

jayni New Member

hey!
    i dont know much more than you.. but this is about i'll ive gatherd.. not sure how accurate any of it is!!

swim test... 8 lengths (no time limit i dont think) and something like picking up a brick from the bottom.

Training.. over three days.. doesnt matter if youve not trained before.. alot of people wont have.. but i guess its always going to be a slight advantage to have done your NPLQ.. just caus you'ld have more of a feel of things.. but dont worry about not having done it before.

The way we are going to be assessed means you pass or fail as a group.. you get put into little groups.. but if something goes wrong, and you fail.. you can still have 1 more attempt at passing.

hope thats helps a bit!

jayni

9. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I was going to reply, but I think Jayni has it perfect :p. Don't worry too much about it, the vast majority of people pass in the end.

One thing I would say: don't get your hopes up too high about working in a waterpark! You won't necessarily be. A lot of people last year expected that and were very disappointed to end up in a resort - by the end, however, they did enjoy it. Lots of ICPs - lifeguards and indeed those in other roles - did end up in resorts last year.

(If you have done your NPLQ, as I assume Jayni you have, see what you think of the Ellis spinal recovery methods. They are, imho, not a patch on what we (RLSS) teach!)

10. jayni

jayni New Member

see.. i have been paying attention to your helpful posts ;D

yeah i have, im just about to requalify too so my head all full of NPLQ stuff! spineboard nightmares! haha.. so they use boards there? i guess they do...?
    im just worried im going to get all mixed up and start doing stuff the way we do it.. i do my exam literally like three days before i leave for florida! i'll have to try and forget it all!

are there ways real different?? head splint where we would use vice grip?? im sure i read that somewhere??

im sure it'll be cool
    i just cant wait now!!! and im tryin real super hard not to get my hopes up for a park.. but its just not working!! :-\ but i'll definately make the most of Where ever i get put! :D

jayni
    x

11. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Hehe...they were worth typing then!

Yes...but nowhere near as high-quality ones, surprisingly. Suffice to say, you'll be squashed with the quality of board used in training.

You never forget! I still have US CPR protocols and such like in my head. Eventually you start compartmentalizing. The RLSS protocols will always seem more natural mind!

Yep, that was me. They use a head splint where we would use a vice-grip, but still call it a vice-grip! Very insecure in deep water imo.

Most of what they do isn't too different - it's minor things, but minor things are, in a way, harder to get used to! I'll be interested to know what CPR protocols Ellis are using. They weren't inline with international protocols last year, but the new ILCOR protocols came out last December (30:2 etc) so they may have moved inline.

Hehe...Disney is Disney, after all; whereever you are, you'll have fun. Blizzard Beach is wonderful, I must say :D!

Good luck with the exam :D

12. jayni

jayni New Member

thank you!! :)
    you have been real helpful in lettin us newby disney guards know a bit of what its going to be like there! always good!
    ive got another three weeks to go now... so im sure there will be other random question heading your way! :p

jayni
    xx

13. adjonline

adjonline New Member

You're welcome, and feel free. Only wish I was joining you!!

14. jayni

jayni New Member

did you do it last summer?? doesnt the one time only rule suck?! it seems like alot of people would be going again if there wasnt that rule.
    so you were at blizzard then?? is it all fun??

xx

15. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Yes, I did. The one time rule is silly, especially given the labour shortages. I'm sure they'd have a lot of cast returning, but what can one do!

Blizzard is wonderful, yes. A great collection of attractions, wonderful theming and overall a pleasant place to work. I even liked the soundtrack (although I'll concede I'm probably the only person to have worked there in the 11+ years it's been open to say that :p). It's as fun as you're going to get anywhere I'm sure!!

16. Dav

Dav New Member

Thx all i feel a little bit better now . But i'd like to know how they decide if we will work in a park or in a resort ?

17. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Basically it's random. It's wherever they need you!

There is a slight qualification that all shallow-water-only guards are placed in waterparks, whereas deep-water guards can be placed anywhere in property, but afaik all ICP guards are hired for deep-water.

18. jayni

jayni New Member

so basically just fingers crossed for a park! :D

19. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

Ok question about sunglasses

What type should i buy? as it says in the Disney look book you need to have sunglasses that allow for eyes to be seen and are not allowed mirrored or dark, opaque lenses.

Or is it one of these things that should be left to purchase when you get out there? once you see what everyone else has?

Mhairi

20. emma

emma New Member

to be fair they tell evry1 that and i see loadsa ppl with fuly tinted lenses, especially in liek outdoor foods n that, the girls wear the guccis haha full works like, but a good sprt pair wud be good.x