Medical checks

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by CazzieAnwyn, Dec 19, 2010.

1. CazzieAnwyn

CazzieAnwyn New Member

Heya! So I was wondering what the medical checks involved? I havent applied for a cruise line jon (underage at the moment so =/ ) BUT I have wanted to work on a cruise ship for absolute ages D= I mean its why I wanted to get into uni so I could do a cruise management course (though it being possibly canceled very soon and me having left college not going so great in that sense xD)

Cruise lines kick started my love for travel & repping, Im the sad person who goes to a holiday camp and ask the campers what its like to work there xD So my ideal would be to get on a cruise ship and work on it for a few years.

THING IS I think you need to have a blood test correct? Because if so major down fall considering last time I went to have one I had a panic attack and then just never had it. I may cry like a big baby if i do have to have one, but It's what I want to do so im just going to have to do it.. aha.. (dies inside) so yes whats involved in a medical check? A big ole rant for a rather simple question? XD

2. Blondie85

Blondie85 New Member

Hey!

So this is kinda unhelpful as replies go... but i have my medical next week!! Right now im not sure what to expect, think we have to have a blood test, and ive been told i may have to have a new vaccination too... but i'll come on here and let you know next weds after i get home!!! :)

3. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

Blood test, reflexes test, they'll probably make you touch your toes. They check your vision and hearing & if you're color blind or not. Knowing your left & rights, I think that's what they're actually testing you on! They also do a medical history & make sure that you're not going to die on board. I've had two knee surgeries and I have a digestive disorder but I was cleared to work on the ship. Keep your chin up through the blood test & you're golden!

4. Blondie85

Blondie85 New Member

So ive been really bad at posting on this forum this week!! Sorry!

CazzieAnwyn - the medical check was fine, quicker than i expected! I had a blood test, which was absolutely fine, they are so quick, i barely even felt it. I also had to have a booster vaccination, but that wasnt bad either! other than that it was mostly what tinkithink said, vision and hearing, they asked about my medical history, and allergies, all the stuff you would expect! but it was quick, easy and painless! and now i get to go sail the caribbean so TOTALLY worth it! :)

any more questions, let us know!

5. CazzieAnwyn

CazzieAnwyn New Member

Omg sorry for late reply! I didn't think anyone was going to reply because it was a silly question xD

Ahh ok then (shudders) Suppose if its what you gotta do its what you gotta do to do what you want I guess. Glad to hear everything went fine though!

edit:: Also thank-you for the replies =D I know its been ages since you replied, I do apologize really

6. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Sooooo I had my medical today. Went quite well I think! Until I got home and had to phone the doctor back up urgently. Turns out I had dangerously high potassium levels and had to go to A&E for emergency blood tests (got to skip the queue and everything! Fastpass!)

I would like to pass on a bit of advice to all you medical goers (I'm fine by the way).

DO NOT EAT A BANANA BEFORE YOUR MEDICAL!

Unless you feel like spending an evening in casualty.

(And having arterial blood tests...which hurt. They take it from your wrist :-\ )

7. CazzieAnwyn

CazzieAnwyn New Member

Aww welldone, apart from the whole high potassium thing, which sounds very painful and I think I would cry if I had that done =[ is it all easy stuff? Is it lots of needles D=

8. Isis Supernova

Isis Supernova New Member

Anybody knows what they test your blood for?