Medical test

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Dannii, May 13, 2005.

1. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey there,

I just did the cruise line interview in paris and got accepted :D . I am really happy but this medical test thing drives me crazy. How much did u guys pay for all those tests?

dani

2. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

hey just thought id say "congrats" ;D ;D ;D

3. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

I'm not sure how much you have to pay for the medical but I do know you get it back when you get to the ship. I went to a doctor that the cruise line recommended so Disney paid for it. I think here in the UK it was around £300 if you went to your own doctor.

Hope this helps.

4. Dannii

Dannii New Member

thank you, tink :D

@ dougslar: thank you for your help. do I really have to do all the 17 tests? I applied with International Services and first they told me I have to do like 5 tests but now I see on the paper 12 more :eek:...

dani

5. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Not sure. I had to have a full medical done, which included a lot of blood tests for HIV and hepatitis! Then just the usual things like eye tests and hearing tests. Also had to go to the hospital for chest X-rays too. It was pretty thorough! As I said I got mine paid for as I went to a Disney doctor but that was a pain for me as the two they recommended were both in England and living in Scotland it meant a long journey for me!
    The only thing I would say about going to a Disney doctor is they have all the right documents and know exactly what they need to do as they have done many before. But I think if you go to your own doctor the Cruise Line send you all the relevant paperwork.

Hope this helps. Any other questions about the cruise feel free to ask! What are going to do on the ship?

Laura.

6. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey Laura,

thank you very much for your help. I guess within the next weeks I will have a lot of questions for you ;)

I got the papers and I have to do a lot of tests like you said. I am a little bit worried about the eye test - I am wearing glasses. Do you know how blind I am allowed to be? ;)

About the ship - I am going to work in merchandise, thats what I did at Epcot, too. I would like to work at Guest Relations but I dont have the qualifications for it. but thats ok. Let's see what happens. :D

Any experience with hurricans during your trips??

Thank you again,

Dani

7. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

I did merchandise too on the ship.On the Wonder. It's ok can get boring sometimes but it is definitely one of the easier jobs on the ship, more time off than other jobs! And better perks, .i.e get to use get areas, like the pools, etc. Just no drinking in front of guests!!! I'm not sure about the eye test but it shouldn't be too bad, there were lots of people who worked on the ship that wore glasses.

I didn't have an bad experiences with hurricanes. Got caught in the end of one during my second contract but it wasn't too bad. The ship moved a little and there were a lot of sick guests one night but it was good for us as the shops were quiet as everyone went to bed!!! But it really can depend with the weather as last year they had 4 hurricanes and the ships had to be routed to different ports!!! But the captain usually does his best to steer away from bad weather. Unfortunately that sometimes meant for us missing Castaway Cay on a few cruises which meant there were unhappy guests! And trying to explain to them it was for their own safety wasn't easy!!!!

The ship is good fun when you get used to ship life! It's hard to adjust at first to living at sea but you get used to it. It's a lot harder work than at Disney World as you do 70 + hours a week doing the same job cruise after cruise but it's great fun!!!

Enjoy!

Laura. xxx

8. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Hey Laura you are always there when people need information....I told you : you are great   ;)
    Dannii I did the interview also in Paris last week...which day were you there? I got accepted too in merchandise so we might see each other again on the ship.
    All the medical stuff seems expensive and rough...but that is part of the deal...
    Talk to you soon.
    Aurélie.

9. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Aurelie!

Congratulations on getting the job! Just let me know if you have any other questions. Do you know which ship yet??

Take care,

Laura. xxx

10. sebonlavie

sebonlavie New Member

hey dannii,

I did all the process and I am supposed to leave within 1 month.
    What I did (don't know if it work the same in germany), I went to see my usual doctor, and I asked him to write a prescription with all the tests I have to do (anyway you will have to see him to fill the final form) - it is useful in France to do that, because the social security system give you back almost 80% of the cost.

DCL give you back upto 300$.

Just one tip, take care, I was frightened because I went to do the drug test...and we found that I had some opium in my blood. I didn't understand because I don't use any drug...after some investigations we discovered that I used a throat sirup with opiates in it. There are some tests that can prouve it, but it is really expensive. So be careful....NO DRUGS !!! of course ;) and then ask to you doctor to be sure you haven't use any medicine with opiates in it for the last month (it takes one month to deseppear)

Good luck ...
    ...congratulations and see you there...

sébastien.

11. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hi there,

thank you all for your help. I did all the tests this week, waiting for all the results now. I am really happy about that and also got my police report earlier than I thought.

Sébastien: I think I know you. Did you work in the french Pavillion in Merchandise?? I dont know why but you look very familiar too me. If you worked there than we met once in the bus. You were very tired and upset because u had to work overtime - ppl called in sick that day. I hope its you. Thank you for your advice. Luckily I don't take any medications right now. Can imagine what a shock it was for you.

Aurelie: Congratulations also from my side. I was in Paris on the 10th of May. :D

Sébastien & Laura: How does the visa application work now? Do I have to go to the embassy?

Have a nice weekend

Dani

12. sebonlavie

sebonlavie New Member

hello Dannii,

it can be me...
    I was timo's roommate ! Living building 1011 ...
    I know franzi and diana too.
    And yes, i was in french merchandise...

For your Visa, you need to wait the nurse's answer...should be a piece of cake....then, you will, trough you ALLY, recieve the paper from the DCL (Employment letter with DHL).
    Then you will have to make an appointment (15€ for a phonecall to make this appointment) it will be something as 4 to 6 weeks later.
    Then, go to the embassy...they told us to come 15 min before...in fact they never asked me at what time was my appointment, I entered a line and...waited...waited....and waited...3.5 hours for 1.5 min of interview!!! (during this 3.5 hours, they took time to take my fingerprint.
    They told me right away: "You have your Visa".

And then 2 days later... I've got the VISA....was hoping 1-year and I've got a 5year one...

If you need any other information....feel free...

And If you have a pic...I am very curious...

13. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hey sébastien,

it's you. for sure... are u still in contact with some of the frenchies like silvain or fabrice or sabrina? diana is leaving for the cruise on the 14th of june and svenja is already somewhere in the carribean :D

it seems that it will take more time to get over to florida. they told me they want me as soon as possible. hope everything works out well for me. but if you guys made it i will 2.

they really gave u a visa for 5 years???

picture?? http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/104_0443.jpg

dani

14. Dannii

Dannii New Member

i forgot.. i am the one on the right side... one of the pictures we made the last days at epcot... guest thought we are crazy ;D

15. franzi

franzi New Member

@Dani: why don't you just call Diana, she can tell you everything about the medicals, she just went through it all.. I can give you her number if you want to. By the way, nice pic! ;D

@Sébastien: Nice to see you're still alive. I thought you're already cruising in the Caribbean.. Do you already know the ship you will work on?

Franzi :)

16. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hey franzi,

danke fuer das angebot - nehm ich doch glatt mal an ;)

about the picture.. thank you... spended too much time as a dollmaker ;D

have a nice weekend

dani :)

17. franzi

franzi New Member

Hey Dani,

you crazy dollmaker.. :p
    I sent you a personal message!!

CU!!
    Franzi

18. DCLlulu

DCLlulu New Member

Hey....

The Medical Test is oh so much fun..hahah..just kidding. You do get reimbursed for it, but in Canada, you don't have to pay for it, you just go and do it, its already covered by Disney.

And Franzi - are you my Franzi from #121....I hope so...I hope you are well...I love the ship so much more than Canada Merch.

Take care...

Lynsay

19. sebonlavie

sebonlavie New Member

hello, all of you....

As we already know: "it's a small world after all" ... hi hi hi...

I am not cruising yet...i've talked with Sandra (DCL HR) and she's waiting to have a position. We should talk next week...
    Hope i will know for sure soon. But we all know how it work with Disney...Lon Long waiting time....(It was already the case for the IP program, I've been delayed by almost 5 months)

Please say to Diana that I am on the board and she HAS to contact me...

Franzi => What's happ?

talk to all of you soon

20. franzi

franzi New Member

@Lynsay: Yeah, that's me. How are you doing? On which ship are you and in which position?? I'm glad you like it there! :)
    I'm back in Germany for nearly 10 months now and I found a really good job. But still I miss Disney sometimes.

@Sebonlavie: I keep my fingers crossed for you that there will be a position open for you quite soon!! Svenja and Diana will wait for you on the Magic.. ;)
    I'll tell her about you being in the board. Take care!!!

Franzi ;D