More questions!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by Vanyaloth, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Vanyaloth

Vanyaloth Member

Hey all you wonderful people!

I've got a couple more questions. First: cellphones. Is it worth it to get one for a year? What providers and plans does everyone recommend?
    Second: how do they generally pair up roomies? Do they keep cultures together, or do they mix it all up?

That's it for now! Thanks everyone! ;D

2. Snowheyoh

Snowheyoh New Member

I'm not sure about cellphones as of yet...but I'm from Canada and I think I'm going to go to the Apple Store and buy an iPhone 5 flat out and just get a sim card and data plan here until I leave, then go to at&t or something with a new sim card for the US.

And for rooming, I'm positive they try to mix it up at first. After 3 weeks or 3 months (can't remember which) you can request to move in with a specific person if there is an empty bed in the apartment. Pretty sure it's a $50 fee to move though.

3. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

Definitely worth getting a cell phone. I use Virgin mobile, 40/month 1200 mins unlimited text (including to Canada) and web. They also have Blackberry/Android plans for like 55 or something. No contract.

They put you wherever there is room for housing. I actually emailed them a little bit beforehand though, and asked that I can be put with a friend who was down there already, and what they did was they told her she had to move into the apartment they put me in. If I remember right, you have 21 days to file for a move without having to pay the fee in the case that you don't get along with your new roommates.

4. catfish278

catfish278 Member

During my ICP they said you were not allowed to move in the first 3 weeks (unless it was for something serious like bullying, something against housing codes of conduct or a heath-related problem) and then after 3 weeks you put in the request to move and pay $50. :)

5. abnorman

abnorman New Member

Yup, still works like that (I'm here now). I got an unlocked cellphone off Amazon (it had to be GSM to work once I was done in the US) and went with the cheapest T-Mobile package ($15). No contract, so you can change it each month if it doesn't suit you.

They don't keep cultures together, but they do try and make an effort to keep newbies together - you'll often move in to a room with another new arrival, though really it's based on available space more than anything.

6. Vanyaloth

Vanyaloth Member

I have another question to add to my ever growing list...do the apartments have vacuums?

7. forloveofmusic

mine did. i dont think they usually do though. you can rent them from the clubhouse :)

8. Vanyaloth

Vanyaloth Member

Can I request which apartment complex to be placed in? I like that Commons has laundry facilities in every room. On average, what is the rent for Commons, and what is the rent for Patterson Court?

9. catfish278

catfish278 Member

The Commons is more because it has the washer/dryer inside the apartment. Patterson Court is slightly less but is still more expensive that Chatham or Vista Way because it's really new (opened in 2009 I think)... Patterson doesn't have it's own bus stop, you have to walk to the Commons.

You don't get to request but if you're unhappy then you can pay to move apartment complexes after 3 weeks (fee is $50 if I remember rightly)... both complexes are nice and there's not much in it rent-wise... rents vary between $80-110 a week depending on how many bedrooms and which complex it is.

10. forloveofmusic

I think I remember seeing somewhere you can't anymore, but I'm not sure....

My rent for a 3 bedroom in Commons was 89/week. Having a (FREE) washer and dryer in your apt makes a huge difference. Yes, PCourt is a million times nicer (it is like 10 years newer) but personally even if I had spent any time in housing I wouldn't have changed like everyone else around my time did just for the laundry lol

11. mousefreak

mousefreak New Member

just a correction... if your in patterson you walk to chatham not commons for the bus stop.
    i lived in pcourt my whole contract and didnt mind the whole washer and dryer situation

better parties in commons but pcourt was a nice place to call home... loved the pool area and fitness room1!! so nice and new

12. ~Disney_Princess~

~Disney_Princess~ New Member

If you live in the Commons are you still allowed to use the pool and fitness room at Patterson Court? I'm assuming you would be but I just wanted to know for sure :)

13. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Yes, you can use all the facilities at all the other complexes. Just make sure it's not "curfew" aka the time you're not allowed to be in any apartment complex except your own.

14. catfish278

catfish278 Member

oops!! :p

15. ~Disney_Princess~

Thanks! :) And curfew is 1am right?

16. DisneyGibbs

Yes, curfew is at 1am...doesn't sound too bad but it was always annoying when we were watching movies and none of us finnished until 11pm!

17. mousefreak

mousefreak New Member

its also annoying if your trying to enjoy happy monday lol

it sucks cos your all on the same program but cant hang out past 1 in your apartment :(

18. ~Disney_Princess~

What happens if you get caught out past curfew? :eek:

19. DisneyGibbs

Most likely get a housing warning (I wouldn't really know, I never had any ;D ) but then it depends on how many housing warnings you already have, if any, and if could be the reason for you getting terminated! Just don't climb the fences. That's a really stupid thing to do! So many people have gotten caught doing that.

20. forloveofmusic

Ya climbing the fences = termination.

At the beginning of my program, I signed someone (non CM) in who actually wasn't hanging out with me one night, he was partying with my brother and was caught past 1 am. I was held responsible and was never allowed to sign anyone in again. It sucked big time, especially considering I had to get people to sign my local bf in every other day. So if you do sign someone in to the complexes, or you are signed in by a friend, make sure they/you are out by 1.