One-Way or Return Flight?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Helix, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Helix

Helix New Member

Hey,

I was off work yesterday and done some research into my flight to Orlando.

Now I've priced both a one-way and a return flight (october 5th - May 3rd)... now I don't know what is better to do, a one-way or a return.

I know that there must be other people weighing this decision, and was just wondering what other people are doing and what their reasons for it are... like pros and cons.

2. Helix

Helix New Member

I know the program ends on April 3rd, but then you get 30days to travel the USA. Which makes the last day of return May 3rd - unless my calculations are wrong.

What do you mean you booked both flights?

3. Princess Laura

Princess Laura New Member

i've booked a return, due to come back on the date the program ends (apr 3rd), with BA, but they say you can change the date of the return flight for a fee of £50 plus however much extra the new flight costs (if any), so if towards the end of the program, i do decide i want to/can afford to travel around america before i leave then hopefully i can change my return flight.

4. Helix

Helix New Member

Thinking about it now, that's seems to be the best and safest option... once i thought about "can i actually afford to travel at the end?"

If you don't mind me asking, what is British Airways asking for the return flight? I assume that its a direct flight?

I called STA Travel - who Yummy Jobs recommends and they quoted £745 return with BA.
    I managed to search the net and get it down to £574.30 with another airline, but its got a 1 hours stop in Newark.

5. Princess Laura

at the moment, BA seem to have lowered their prices, it was over £600 the other day, but today it was £468, 11.05am from gatwick, direct to orlando,so i thought i'd better get in there quick in case the prices go back up. 3 of us on the program have booked oursleves on that flight so far, so if you do decide to book it, let us know, and we can all try to check in together, i'm going to need people to talk to for those 9 hours or i'll go mad!

someone made a facebook group for people wanting to sort out flights, if you want to have a look and maybe try to get talking to some of us if you're looking for people to travel with :) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20659651827&ref=ts

6. Helix

Helix New Member

£468! :eek: That's a fantastic price, its the cheapest compared to everything is i've seen and its direct...
    I wonder if that offer is still on the now... did you book it online through BA? or another travel company.

I assume that was 5th October - 3rd April - with that Change of Return Date: £50.00

7. Princess Laura

yeah i booked it this afternoon on the BA website, so the price should still be the same, not sure how long it'll last tho! what i understand from what i've read on the BA site, it's a £50 fee to change, plus the difference in price between your original flight and the new one you are changing to (if the new flight costs more). but don't take my word for it, check the terms and conditions just in case i'm wrong!

8. Helix

Helix New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, as you can tell i'm jumping at this oppertunity and have found the flight that you are all talking about... the difference is I'll go GLASGOW > GATWICK > ORLANDO.

The flight out i'm looking at must be the same... leaving Gatwick at 1105am

What about return flights? - i know that it could change between now and then, all depending if we're going to stay and travel or not.

As for those terms and conditions, i'm reading them very closely after this reply.

9. Helix

Helix New Member

Princess Laura, are you retuning from Orlando, or are you changing your departure airport to somewhere else in the UK.

The downside about changing after its book, is that you need to do it before you leave the UK.

This is making me think of booking a one-way out and just risking it when i'm out there to get a return booked.

10. Princess Laura

yes i'll be returning from orlando. i didn't realise it had to be changed before i left the uk. serves me right for not reading those pesky terms and conditions closely enough. ah well, i'll know before i leave if i have enough money to travel after or not, as i'm sure any money i use for travelling will have to be saved up before i go, because i doubt we'll earn enough at disney to fund any adventuring across america!

11. Helix

Helix New Member

OK... here's some good news for you.... you don't need to change your flight before you leave the UK...

you can't change it on your day of travel (ie. on the 5th October and the 3rd April)... but you can change it anytime, even when you're over there if you feel you want to stay.

It was a friend who also booked the flight tonight who pointed this out... i thought the same as you.

I'VE BOOKED MY FLIGHT!!! Same one! Meet you at the airport!

12. Princess Laura

ah brilliant! i was a little worried i'd made up the being able to change the flight whenever thing in my head haha. see you at gatwick ;D

13. berle.s

berle.s New Member

hi guys,

so you`ve allready booked your flieghts on the 5th?
    Or does anybody come some days earlier?

Is it actually allowed to arrive one/two days before the 5th?

Does anybody fly from Paris?

14. Manu

Manu New Member

One important question about booking the flight: Have you booked it before getting the J-1 VISA?
    I'm supossed to go on August 19th, in just 6 weeks left, and i haven't booked it beacuse I was told by the recruiter (and the TC3 responsable) not to book until I had the VISA for sure, and well, as I'm used to book everything with plenty of time before, I'm getting a little bit nervous about this...

So, anyone going on August 19th in the same situation?

???

15. Helix

Helix New Member

I'm in the same situation here. I only booked it because it was the cheapest and I had been searching for a week, and the prices have since went up by £300... so i'm glad I booked, and i've made it fully flexible, so if i change it its only going to cost £50. - that if the visa stuff doesn't come in time.

16. Princess Laura

you can arrive earlier than the 5th but you need to find your own place to stay, as we can't check into the apartments til the 5th.

17. berle.s

berle.s New Member

Aren`t there any problems with the Visa, when you arrieve earlier, like on the 2nd or 3rd Oct.?? Does anybody of you arrieve earlier?

18. Manu

Manu New Member

The J-1 VISA gives you 30 extra days to spend in the USA, either before or after the program dates. I supose that you can take some days after and some before if necessary.

Bye.