Previous Disney work help?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by morrs084, Apr 25, 2011.

1. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Hey,

I'm thinking of applying to DCL in the fall when i turn 21 and was curious if working for Disney in the past is an asset? When i worked at Disney the word on the street was that if you've succesfully completed a Disney Program (CRP, ICP, CP, etc) then they tend to knock the two years experience off for you. I spoke to a couple people who said that's not true, so i was just wondering. I'm hoping to apply for YAC, but i don't have buckets of experience. So i was hoping working at wdw was going to help me out a lot.

Also, on my program my friend and i took a cruise a spoke to Ray? I think he was the Cruise Director.. anyways.. he said because we're CRP's it pretty much guarranteed us a spot. Can anyone confirm this? Obviously it's not going to be true for all cases, but is it quite common?

2. cowza

cowza New Member

It will help just in terms that previous experience proves you understand the high Disney standards.

But definitely NOT a necessity. When I first started there I was about the only one that had come from the parks. They started to show up more a year or so after I joined. As did people posting here about their cruise experiences. I am the original :)

3. cowza

cowza New Member

Also I guess it's about how you conduct and sell yourself in the interview. I was very worried at my interview because everyone had childcare qualifications or had worked at a summer camp or something. My experience all came from high school where I assisted the music teacher with a 11/12 year old keyboard class and monitored the homework room. It didn't seem as intense as everyone else. I will also add I interviewed and got the job before I had worked in the parks. So it was obviously meant to be. Even if your experience involves looking after cousins or siblings it's worth mentioning. Unbeknownst to you it puts you in touch with what kids are into these days.

4. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Ohh.. well that's good.
    I volunteer at a camp every year for a couple weeks for the past 6 or 7 years.. do you think that's a good enough lee way?
    I'm looking to get a second job and it would be easier for me to get a service job (and pays more..) but i'm not sure if it would be better for me to find a job working with children. I just don't know. haha

5. cowza

cowza New Member

Your experience sounds more than adequate to me :)

Thing with YA is... they run things very specifically anyway. So everyone has to be trained the same way regardless of your past experience. It's a fun job though. You'll enjoy it.

6. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Awesome, thanks!! That's quite helpful and it's got my hopes up.
    Also, on a totally different note.. do they take your previous record card/points into recommendation for the cruise? Or do they not bother looking at it? I didn't get any reprimands, but i was there for a year and didn't really think i would ever work for Disney again at the time.. so i definitely racked up my fair share of points. Should that effect me getting hired?

7. cowza

cowza New Member

They don't use that same system at the cruise line so I doubt very much they look at it. My cruise line file had nothing to do with the parks in it. I have never even seen evidence that they check you have a rehire status within the company... but apparently they do that.

8. kate003

kate003 New Member

they check that you have rehire status for sure as someone with the same name as me (I'm common) didn't have rehire and it made it so I almost wasn't allowed to interview. Sam you for sure have rehire status so don't stress!! I did the interview process and as long as you can get a hold of Eric it'll all go well!! You're an all star!

9. cowza

cowza New Member

DCL is a different division of the company also. You are technically employed by the 'magical cruise company'. I know americans who have come from the parks, working there for two, three four years... and they lose all affiliation regarding their seniority and stuff.

10. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

So whether you have Disney experience or not (I did the ICP) how necessary is a full two years experience? I have like experience here and there with kids, retail and food, but not a straight 2 years experience in one job.. so where does that put me?
    xxx

11. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Yeah that's where i'm at. I have no real clue on how the interview process goes, so i'm going to apply and whether i get in Merch or YAC doesn't totally matter to me, obvs i'd prefer YAC, but if i don't have the specific '2 years' then that's that. I do know that for Service/Food & Beverage they're pretty stingy. You have to write a test/assessment and need to have a significant knowledge of wine.
    We'll see though. October can't get here soon enough!

12. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

I got told when I applied for fb on the cruise that I didnt have the experience as the year at disney wasnt enough but if i wanted to get a job somewhere for 6 months waitressign and get back in touch they would reconsider so I think for fb anyways the experience does matter - well for the uk recruitment anyways

13. cowza

cowza New Member

I think it depends on your recruiter and how selective they are being because they screen for the actual interviews with Disney. I didn't have two solid years worth of experience working with children but I wasn't refused an interview and I got the position. And my experience certainly wasn't as detailed as other people I met. I guess it depends what exactly you have on your resume. I did have a lot of experience in entertainment and Disney though and I think they liked that seen as its more of an entertainment focused role.

14. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Yeah, i think it varies with each department and each recruiter. If you don't have exactly 2 years you should probably be fine (or i'd assume) like if you off within 2-4 months. But who knows really. It's all chance i guess.

15. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

OMG SAM i just realised it was you. just apply and see, it'll be the best experience. DO NOT COMPARE it to the park lol its completely different. you'll get to meet alot of people and etc. Merch and YA are awesome departments to work for but heads up merch does have a lil perk of being off majority of the time when you're in port.

16. Emily

Emily New Member

This is completely off topic but Tino_Bambino which ship are you Guest Services on? I have applied for Guest Services and I am waiting to hear back. If I get the position I will be joining a ship around December.

How do you like Guest Services? It must be a pretty crazy place to work; with all the guest complaints and also doesn't Guest Services have to deal with crew problems as well?

I have so many questions about the position! Fingers crossed that I will get the job.

Have a great day!

17. kate003

kate003 New Member

Tino_Bambino you are a beautiful beautiful piece of British amazingness <3

18. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Agreed with Kate!! And yupp it's me! TINO!
    I'm so excited to apply. I can't do it until Oct though when i turn 21. Just the waiting game until.
    I'm interested to hear your stories/thoughts on Guest Services too!

19. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

OMG ARMSTRONG i just realised it was you too. love u both!

Guest services was great, it was a combination of having enough time to visit the ports and also to experience working for a cruise ship. everyone has their own experience on the ship so just try it out. I worked on the Magic which is great coz i got to see over 20 ports in just 6 months. the Magic is moving up to New england next year once the Fantasy settles in to the Carribean. you'll love the Magic, Although the Wonder would be great coz it does alaska and seattle

20. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

The Magic rocks! I miss it and I've only been home for one day. Don't worry, I am glad to be home, I just miss the people :-[