question?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Laura231291, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

hi peeps im new here, just a quick question

I realise you have to be 18 to take part in the program but can you apply when your 17 ? Im still too young at the moment! its rubbish !!!!!!!!!!

2. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

I presume you could apply as long as you are 18 when the program starts but I'm afraid to say you would probably be rejected due to lack of experience as a requirement of the program is at least 2 years experience in hospitality.

Hope that kinda helps

3. Yea u can apply when ur 17 if u have the experience. But just my two cents worth, Ive done 2 disney programs, and although i had a cracking time. I would completely 100% recommend waiting till ur 21 when u go out there. Apply when ur 20 and either be or turn 21 when ur there. Cos being under age restricts ur enjoyment in more ways than just being able to drink. Alot of worries and constrictions are attachted to being under age that u wont think will bother u, but when ur there they will.

4. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

thanks for the advice !I went on the yummyjobs website and it says you have to be 18 to apply but im sure i have seen ppl write they r seventeen n have applied! well i have been working since i was 13 in a shop part time n have also had some waitressing experience. Right now im working full time in a department store so i dunno if this qualifies as enough experience?

wow ur so lucky getting to do it twice ! I dnt drink anyway so that wouldnt b a problem. what other constrictions?

5. Well I worked in Magic Kingdom for 2 months and got offered another program but 2 months in i had a family bereavement and came home. So now im going for a interview 2 see if i can get a chance to go out and complete it!

Well lots of pety things, u cant go to certain places which ur friends will go to, security at ur housing are harder on you, and all in all u just feel like a child.

Im sure u can apply, the only reason u need to be 18 is due to the fact u need to be to get a visa. So as long as u are 18 when u start the program its fine.

6. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I no what you mean about being 21..On my first program I was 20..But on my second program I was 21..

I felt that being 21 I could do alot more than the people who weren't 21..Im not saying you wouldn't have a good time if you weren't..Being under 21 you always seem to be not allowed to do other stuff when you least expect it..

Even things like hiring a car, its a nightmare if your under 21, coz the majority of places wont let you hire a car..

Also, if your in a wellness (under 21) apartment, and someone is there is caught with alcohol, im pretty sure you all get termed..Which obviously wouldn't happen if you were in an over 21 apartment..

7. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

Bombay-sapphire (soz dunno your name!) what program was it you did if it was only two months ? or was it only 2 months cause u had to cut it short ... sorry to hear about that.... ...yeah i know it would prob be better waiting until im 21 but thats ages away! i just cant wait that long !

As for hiring a car do u think u really need one to get around? is their no transport or are the bus services pretty bad?

i would imagine they have to be quite strict on alcohol consumption, at 18 do they let u in any clubs ect or do u have to b 21 to get in anywhere ?

8. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I'm going to be the devil's advocate and disagree ;D

I was 20 when I went. All my roomates where younger than I, either 19 or 20. We had the best time of our lives. We had no problems with drinking, we rented a car with no problem and there was no issues at all with security. This may be different because we were there for a summer program, but really I wouldn't let it deter you JUST because you're under 18 or 21.

The facts to keep in mind though considering what has been brought up are that you can't control who your roomates are. I do have to admit I was probably really lucky in that all 5 guys that I roomed with were awesome and there were never any issues or conflicts between us. (Aside from a lunchables that went missing... lol)
    I know some friends of mine though whose roomates drank and who were under 21. Obviously they got caught and my friends were almost sent home. So even if you don't drink, doesn't mean other people won't.
    You can rent a car if you're under 21, there are some companies which won't allow you, but there are some that definitely will. You will be charged an underage fee, but that is if you're under 25 so it doesn't really matter if you're over/under 21 in that instance.

It also depends on what you're planning to do in the future. Like if you want to do this before you go to post-secondary education, than now might be the perfect time to do it, rather than wait. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not that if you're under 21 you won't enjoy yourself, it really depends on different factors, some of them regardless of your age.

9. Oh im all fired up for these responses lol.

Laura, the first 2 month program was a international program and basically i took over someones visa and it was 2 months i worked in MK. The second program was supposed to be for a year, but due to the bereavement i came home, and thanks for the condolence. And the names james or jasper.

And Matt, i totally agree, i was 18 and 19 on my programs and they were the best time of my life! However, if i think that it best for lots of reasons to wait till ur 21. However i dont really think anyone would! lol! I wouldnt.

10. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I have to completely agree..I had an amazing time on my first program, when I was not 21, hence why I returned!

I would definitely say though, that I had a better time when I was 21..Id say you definitely need to experience it when your over 21 tho..So if you do go when your under 21, dont worry, you'll still have an awesome time..But go back again when your over, coz i'd definitely say its a better experience...

11. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

Matt i thought about doing the summer program but i just dont know if its long enough! i dont think i would want to come back so soon! yeah i have heard some horror stories of roomates from hell and a year is a long time if u dont get on with ppl! its good to know that their are some companies that will give you a car i thought it would b impossible to get one under 21!

right now i have left school n i am thinking about applying to uni but i dont really know what i want to do yet so im kinda putting it off until i work it all out! hence thought running off to disney would b a great experience! the other option is to wait until i finish uni but it seems too far away considering i havent even started lol

there would have been some conflicts in my appartment if the lunchables went missing haha

12. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

What country are you from?

I know in the UK when your at university, you can take a year out or a placement year, and do disney for a year..

I did my placement year last year in Disney..

13. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

o im from Scotland ! really i didn't know that! can u do it from any uni or just certain ones? is it only if ur course is linked with hospitality or something disneyish? i mite look into that thn ....

14. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

James and John, I can definitely agree with that. Why not do both? Once when you're under and again when you're over? That's the best of both worlds!

Laura, if you're thinking about going to University, you can do the ICP which is a summer program basically in between semesters. Then you can go back for the full year after you're done! That's what I'm doing! It may be awhile to wait, but you can go visit in the meantime! :D
    Also, it'll give you a good idea of what it's like. Unfortunately, there are some people who don't enjoy it as much as they thought it would. But if you do like it, which I ceratinly hope you do, then it'll make you even more enthusiastic about it!

15. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

There's a list on the yummy website of which universities they accept people from..Im pretty sure though that if you ask yummy, they'll probably be able to sort you out though..

Im not really sure why there's a list of universities, I wouldnt have thought it would make a difference too be honest..

As for the subject, I was doing business studies and I did it..I dont think it makes a difference to be honest..As one of my friends was just on a year out and doesnt do anything to do with hospitality or anything and he done it..

16. Laura231291

Laura231291 New Member

thats a really good idea! can u do both though? i thought once u had done it once u couldnt go back? do u know if u can still apply to go next summer (2010) or would it b the year after that ?

17. ChelBelle

ChelBelle New Member

They are going to be finding new applicants for 2010 this summer coming up, so you still have a bunch of time to apply!! Also, once you have done a program you can most definitely apply again, which is pretty awesome!

18. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Yeah my sister did ICP for the summer while at uni (tourism course) then after she left did CRP

19. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Definitely! I think the restrictions for going back are more for if you're looking to do the same program more than once, then that would be more iffy.

If you would be looking to go in the summer of 2010, you probably wouldn't apply until later this year, probably close to November or December. But keep an eye out on Yummy Jobs website or the forums to find out exactly when.

20. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

Yummy are reviewing applications for early 2010 in August, so you want to get your cv/cover letter to them by June/July.