Question

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by Keri_07, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

I wasn't sure where to post this but seeing as you guys have already been to Disney World you would probably know :)

Ok it's a bit random but I either read on a blog or had a dream about this lol but are there sometimes snakes found in the pools/water parks? I swear someone said there was one in the lazy river pool with all the tubes but it sounds more like a dream...

2. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

I did some research...it's true *shudders*

3. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

lots of little snakes - you will see them by pools, on the paths early in the morning, animal control usually come pick them quickly and move them on

4. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

Thanks for your reply :)

I freaked myself out by looking it up on google because there was a photo of a huge 7ft snake that was in Animal Kingdom. Which I'm sure is rare but it still gave me an uneasy feeling lol.

5. pinkspideruk

there is a lot of wildlife around but they have aimal control on property who you call and they deal with everything

big snakes are rare but little ones - they are harmless - are quite common

6. missginius

missginius Member

By "Move them on" you don't mean kill do you?

I hope not!!!

7. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

The outcome of the snake generally depends on the situation. I don't know Disney protocols on snakes but I was in a villa this summer in Orlando and there was a 3 1/2 ft Black racer snake in the pool area. Black racers are not poisonous but they will attack if they feel threatened or they panic. We called the management company and they sent someone over. The problem was that while we hadn't provoked the snake it was obviously panicking because it couldn't find an exit through the net cage that covered the area (standard on many new FL villas). As a result the only safe way to remove the snake was to kill it. I believe that in general most people would avoid killing the snake unless it was going to prove to be a danger to anyone in the area. As I said though I don't know Disney's own policy on snake removal.

I have seen many snakes in Florida over the last 20 years. It just something you have to be aware of. Equally I know people that have lived there for years and never seen one.

8. pinkspideruk

disney dont kill them they just move them on

generally involves a stick with a hoop on the ed ad a canvas bag for removal to a safe space

disney owns a huge amount fo land - htey move them on to the less developed areas

9. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

I saw two snakes in my whole year. One was just chilling in the sun in the commons and the other was making it's way towards the lake in the middle of the world showcase. Neither were harmful and I didn't need to call animal control on either. They are gone as quick as you've seen them.

10. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Re: Question -Snakes

Yeah, we are really spoiled in Western Europe. I'm from the Northern States and even there there are tons of them - mostly harmless. In the South you have even more snakes and reptiles. I've lived in Germany for half my life and 3 things I do not miss even though I am in the woods constantly are 1) Snakes 2) Mosquitos 3)Poison Ivy, Oak and such. It's just for a year.

11. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

I guess it's just one of those things you learn like to be wary of snakes so now I have this fear of them even though they are usually more scared of us. Lol I'm going to regret asking this but how about spiders? Are they common?

Thanks everyone for replies :)

12. pinkspideruk

i can honestly say i never saw spiders.

You do see a lot of bugs tho

mozzies are common and then in may and sept you have love bugs which are revolting but harmless[​IMG]

theres also fire ants, millions of dragon flies, butterflies etc and of course roaches

13. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

Yay :D all of the other things you listed don't bother me :) lol but I'll be watching my step for snakes :p

14. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

Omg I completely forgot about the love bugs!

15. Chiyo111

Chiyo111 Member

I also saw two snakes during my year in Florida. One was at Animal Kingdom: I almost stepped on it :eek: but as I recognized it, I just told a cast member who was near, but suddenly the snake was gone....

guess I took a picture from it...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196103303734997&set=a.196103200401674.51939.100000059858095

Hope you can see it.

The second one I found in the commons - and I also almost stepped over it ;) it was a big black snkae.

Yeah, I remember the lovebugs.... they were harmless, but I hated them though.

And the crockroaches: Once I opened the drawer under my register to take tissue paper, and there sat a big one.... and it smirked! I swear! It was horrible...

But that's Florida... neither you deal with it or you leave. I decided to deal and stay. And I don't regret it :)

Greetings,
    Chiyo ^^

16. snowwhite2

snowwhite2 New Member

Sieht aus wie ein Gardener Snake - eine seeehhhhrrr lange. Wenn es sie war, ist sie harmlos :p. Wie du sagst - damit muss man in den Breitengraden leben. :)

17. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

Ugh those lovebugs are a pain in the butt.

What I hated the most when I lived in Florida was all the stupid frogs. I hate frogs. Always have. There are tons of them most of the year. And sometimes you will see a BIG one. There was one that lived at the Canada Cart. We even had a custodian pick it up and set it free past the UK pavillion... it was back the very next day. No joke.

18. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

Our squirrel probably had a word with it...I hear he was very territorial. He may not have understood that Canada & the UK love each other!

On a totally different note we once had an eagle of some sort catch a duck and eat it on a patch of grass right next to the chippy...it was there for about half an hour before animal control came along. There was nothing anybody could do, guests were all stood there taking pictures and recording it on their cell phones!

19. pinkspideruk

ah yes Brian the UK squirrel :) I remember one day with ym tables on lower deck I had him a rabbit ad a duck all begging fgrom my table on 701 lmao the guests loved it.

Mind you the parents didnt enjoy watching Brian and his friend getting loved up next to beer cart

I didnt mind frogs or geckos at all but I accidently killed both - i stood on them without realising :( I felt really bad after - I stood on a gecvko in work - ormally they move out of the way but this one didnt I think it was on a suicde mission and I accidently ran over a frog with a borrow shopping trolley from publix :(

Loads of people run over the frogs in their cars you often see splattered ones

20. Hamburger

Hamburger New Member

OMG I forgot the love bugs.

The way you couldn't even look out of your windshield at times, and how the whole front of the car was black! Yuck!

We had no frogs or anything I could think of at the German pavillion.

I do remember stopping my car a few times to help a turtle across the street, though. Ungrateful li'l critters!