Questions about disability!

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by Leeds-josh, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Leeds-josh

Leeds-josh New Member

Hi

Im looking to apply for the 2014 International summer program but I dont want to get my hopes up only to find out I would not be able to take part. So I have a couple of questions.

I have a heart condition and can become fatigued easily if doing physically demanding work and I was wondering what roles would be best for me to do?

Just to let you know the roles I would most like to do would be Attractions, Character attendant and Merchandise.

Also because I get generally tired I think the maximum amount of hours I would be able to work would be 30hrs maybe 35hrs, is this enough to pay rent and still have some money left over because I heard you have to do at least 60?

And finally who can I contact to talk more in depth about my situation?

Josh

2. DisneySparkles

DisneySparkles New Member

I guess the best answer for this question would rely on one thing: Have you had another job before? As someone with several physical disadvantages (Including having to have surgery on my spine), I know best from my work experience what I can and can't do. For example, merchandise is the role closest to what I currently have, and I know that I can stock things, but I just have to take it slower than other people. If I can't life a whole box, I'd take them a few at a time until the box was light enough. It's all about knowing your personal limits.

That's pretty well all the information I can give you. Maybe somebody else who's worked for Disney already could give you a more thorough response?

3. Piglet

Piglet New Member

I worked 30 hours a week over there because they didn't have the hours and it payed rent and allowed me to save just fine, if ur wanting to splurge though u'd probably need more money but I managed great on an income of only 30 hours :) 60 is the maximum u will work per week x

4. Leeds-josh

Leeds-josh New Member

Good to know 30 hrs will be okay, that is very reassuring!

5. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

I havent worked out there before, so this is a guess. But I think the best roles would be either Merch or Attractions. As they sound like the most normal jobs..
    Full service food and bev could be good too.

6. Leeds-josh

Leeds-josh New Member

I kinda guessed that too! Am i also right in thinking that character attendant doesnt include and heavy lifting and is mainly crown control, making sure the character is on and off stage at right times and making sure they are safe?

7. kerriejordan

kerriejordan New Member

I thought that too, but I think it involves alot of walking I think. I spose it's whether or not you feel you can walk for hours a day.

8. DisneySparkles

DisneySparkles New Member

It's a lot of walking and standing from what I've seen. And bare in mind, that's all in FL heat and humdidity. Of course, crowd control is the main aspect, but there are other various aspects, as well. And this is all from just what I've seen as a guest.

9. Leeds-josh

Leeds-josh New Member

Im thinking attractions is definatley my best bet! Thanks for the help guys cant wait to apply next year!