Questions Questions And More Questions

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by Sheridan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Sheridan

Sheridan New Member

Hey everyone...I thought I would start this discussion for all us newbies who have been accepted into the program and dont know exactly what to expect when we get in beautiful FL =) I have questions questions questions! Like, for instance, how much money in Amer $$ should I bring with me?? When do we get our first paycheque? And will I have money left from it to have fun?? LOL... What should I bring with me in ur opinion?

Any other questions? I'm sure I will have more! hehe...and feel free to leave questions of ur own!

2. myriam

myriam New Member

Hi ! you have evrything in the packing list :
    Documents and Other Important Stuff

Valid ID/passport
    Birth Certificate (original, non-translated certificate)
    Backup copies of ID's, etc.
    Driver's license/vehicle registration
    Auto insurance card
    Airline/train tickets
    Travel itinerary/booking confirmation
    Health insurance
    Notify credit card companies, utilities, etc. of change of address.
    Address book
    Visa (if necessary)
    Credit cards and checks/traveler's checks
    Insurance (travel/luggage/emergency)
    Necessary immunizations/medications
    List of friends' email addresses/phone numbers
    Photos from your country, family and friends to share with everybody!

Swimming/sun items (although most of these things are easily bought down there)

Swimming trunks/swimsuit
    Beach/swimming shoes
    Towel/bathrobe
    Suntan lotion/sunscreen
    Sunglasses
    Air mattress

Sports/Hobbies

Books/magazines
    Camera
    Film
    Cassette tapes/CD's/radio/walkman
    Batteries
    Sports equipment
    Shoe cleaner/polish

Toiletries

Soap/shower-gel/shampoo
    Face lotion/creme
    Toothpaste/toothbrush
    Deodorant
    Comb, hairbrush
    Manicure kit
    Shaving kit
    Hair dryer
    Contact lenses/case/solution
    Body lotion
    Hairspray, mousse/hair gel
    Hair clips, hair net, barrettes
    Make-up
    Feminine hygiene

Clothing

Underwear (preferably clean)
    Pants/shorts/belts
    Sweaters (it gets chilly in Winter)
    Evening wear outfit (for the formals)
    T-shirts
    Dress clothes/skirt (one outfit for Traditions)
    Necktie
    Jacket/coat
    Socks/nylons/tights
    Pyjamas/nightshirt/nightgown
    Hats, caps, etc.
    Day shoes/walking shoes/running
    shoes
    Sandals (if you're Canadian)
    Black dress shoes (ladies - closed toe, mens - leather oxford-style)

Other Travel Accessories

Towel, bed linens, wash rag (if you don't want to use the Commons ones)
    Insect repellent
    Can opener, corkscrew, pocketknife
    Travel alarm clock
    Sewing kit
    Language dictionary
    Travel guide
    City map
    Travel map
    Electrical outlet adapter
    Extra set of glasses
    Snack food
    Sunglasses
    Umbrella
    CD Discman/Walkman
    CDs
    Favorite Videos
    Notebook Computer (if you have one)
    Small Stereo
    TV/VCR/DVD (if driving down)
    Combination/padlock for your locker (thanks Richard!)

you should bring american $$$ but not in banknote in travelcheck but some in banknote you know what I mean

For the 1st paychek it's at the end of the week so it depends when you're going

hope it helps ;-)

3. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Bring as much money with you as you can. Definitely bring travellers cheques...but have some cash with you for small things. You can always deposit extra cheques into your account...or just lock them in your locker for when you go on trips on your days off. That's what I did...it was my mini-savings account (I only had a couple hundred leftover). The amount of money from your paycheque that gets put into your account, already has your rent deducted from it, so it's all yours to do what you want with...you don't have to pay anything out of that. But...your first couple of cheques while your going through traditions,etc. and training won't be very much. I think my first cheque was like $36 or something ridiculous like that. I was in Merch and took any chance to have a day off or ER (get off early), so my paycheques were never all that much...often from $100-$150 a week. So not that much, when you consider my boyfriend in F&B was making that a night plus.

Look at some of the older pages on the boards...they will answer lots of your questions because most have been asked before. But if you have any other questions...shoot!

Shan

4. jenmacp

jenmacp New Member

But... but... $36 will only buy, like, TWO cases of beer!!!

Oh Disney, how do you expect us to get really drunk and embarrass the shit out of ourselves to entertain the older particpants our first week there?

~ Jen

;D

5. Canuckliz

Canuckliz New Member

Umm I was wondering the basic rate of pay when one works in Food and Beverage? I heard somewhere it was only $3!!! Can I live off of that?

Liz

6. joelle

joelle Guest

liz plus 50 $ of tip per night lol yes !

:p
    joelle

7. myriam

myriam New Member

I'll be in merchandise so I won't have tips ... :(

8. Canuckliz

Canuckliz New Member

Joelle ...is there any out door carts for the Canadian Pavillion?? or do we automatically start inside ..and are we guarunteed $50 a night?

9. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

isn't it only the ones serving tables who get tips, and in that case it's not certain what you're gonna get each night, can be a billion bucks as it can also be half a penny...

10. joelle

joelle Guest

I heard that it wa sabout half of the year outside on card , ( with the mech salary) , and then you go indise the cellier and you start to get tippep, it seems to be like that in pretty much all the pavillion ... that make sens also, if the old batch of FnB are leaving we replace them in the cellier and a new batch replace us outside( i guess?)

beybye
    joelle :)

11. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Canada does have outdoor foods. When you first get there you'll start outside and in the restaurant greeting and seating...and possibly allocating, if you get trained in it. While you are in these places, you'll get paid the same as the merchies...except I think allocators get paid a little more. You makes tips once you become a food runner and then even more when you are a server. I think you make like $2.50/hr as a server...but like $100 a night in tips...you'll be more than surviving...TRUST ME!!! Merchies survive...Foodies go to Vegas and Cali and NYC.

Shan

12. myriam

myriam New Member

So in Merch I won't have enough money to survive ? or to travel ????? ???
    Please answer me Please....................

13. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

LOL, as I've heard, merch people get more time off, but yes do make less money, but they probably make enough to travel some, it's probably all good....
    If my calculations are right, I'll have moooore than enough money at the end of the week, after all expences etc...

14. myriam

myriam New Member

I hope so :p

15. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

You'll make enough money to survive and to go on trips. You just won't be able to do quite as many. You'll have to save up a little first. It helps to have a savings before you go over. If you want to travel all over, you just might not be able to shop quite as much or eat out as much. I know foodies who ate out 5 nights a week. They never cooked because they didn't have to. You don't ever have to think about money if you are a decent server!!!

Shan

16. myriam

myriam New Member

Oh I'm so sad about that ... :'( I'll stay all alone when my roomies will be outside and having fun !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO So I hav a solution I'm bringing all my money with me ;-)

17. kiwin

kiwin New Member

hy all
    i'm going to work as server into the french pavillon , can anyone told me how much money per week i can ecxpect to earn ?

18. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

you say server, I don't think you start as a server, think that's about half a year after you start. First you start with carts/bakery, stuff like that. And then your hourly wage would be 6.80. and you work a minimum of 30 hours a week, so that would add up to... $204, minus rent (ca. $70) = $134

19. kiwin

kiwin New Member

no i start as a waiter , ( my basic job is waiter ) and noelli confirm me i was starting as a waiter .

20. Celephaïs

Celephaïs New Member

lol, that's cool, getting the good wages right away....
    well, in that case, I'm not exactly sure what your hourly wage will be, think it's 3 bucks or so... but of course you get tips and that can be very lucrative. heard it can be from 50 - 100 - 125 or so a night....