Questions, questions ...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Ona, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Ona

Ona Member

Ok. So my brain is working overtime at the mo and I seem to constantly be thinking of more things that I DON'T know anything about. ::) I figure you guys are probably my best bet at actually finding answers. :-*

First question, do you book your own flight out? And if so, do you think it would be possible to arrive a week or so earlier that your contract begins?

Next, laptops on board. I'm guessing there's a CM computer room type thingy on board but using my digital camera, mp3 player etc, I'd prefer to use my laptop. Is it worth while bringing it?

Next, if you are contracted for 6 on 2 off, do you still have your ID etc for the 2 off? And what is the DCL CM disney Difference like? Do you get maingates, discounts etc?

That'll do for now but I'm sure I'll think of more questions to bug you all with. ;D

Thankyoooooooooou,

Ona  ;)

2. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Sorry don't have an answer but I have a similar question to one of yours so I'm sneaking it in here.

If I were to bring a laptop would I have anyway to access the internet with it (ie wireless ineternet somewhere or a place to plug it in) or would I need to use the labs for that?

3. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

Ona,

Disney book your flight for you. They flew me British Airways from Glasgow through Gatwick.

A few of my friends had laptops onboard for things like watching movies and digital cameras, etc. They do have an internet room for crew but with very few computers!!! To be honest you're best bet is to find an internet cafe onshore to check e-mail. There was a good one in Nassau if you get the Wonder. I also heard they are trying to get wireless internet on the ships which would be great but not sure how it would work.

With regards to maingates, etc you get the same perks as on land but unfortunately don't get to exploit it as much as you're at sea!!! You get your ID for yourself at traditions then you should get your maingate after three months onboard. Just make sure you get it before you disembark!!! You still have your ID and everything on your 2 months off as long as you tell them you're planning to go back for a second contract and obviously don't get fired or anything!!!! And you get the normal 20% discount onboard (or 35%) if you've been there long enough!!!! And you get the 40% at Christmas but that's no good if you're stuck on the ship at Christmas like I was !!!!

Hope this answers some questions! Let me know if you have anymore. I could still be joining you on there!

Take care,

Laura. ;D

4. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey Ona,

bring your laptop with you. It's good to have one. We have wireless internet already but not in our cabins. You have to go to the internet room or to the crew function room on board. To use the internet you have to buy an internet-card which is 20 bucks and and one minute costs you 10cents.

Never went to any of the internet cafes in nassau or port canaveral but i have been told that they are pretty good.

The internet is sometimes pretty slow on board but better as nothing...

Dani

5. Ona

Ona Member

I knew I could rely on you guys. ;)

So glad about the wi-fi. Couldn't live without internet access. I'd have serious withdrawl. :eek:

Glad about the maingates etc. too. I already have some exIPs lined up for a holiday when I finish my contract (whever that is ::)).

Another random question that jumped into my head; is there someplace on board to store suitcases etc. since I'm pretty sure that the cabins are only about the size of a suitcase and I'm thinking storage must be an issue. :-\

Also, are merch CMs able to use guest areas? What are the "rules" on the issue?

What about laundry facilities? I realise that we wear our costumes most of time, so how does that work? New one everyday or like the IP? And what about our personal laundry?

I take it the first few on-shore training days are similar to the first few days of the IP. Banks, traditions, etc. ??? Do you get your ID while onshore?

Thanks again. :-*

Ona  ;)

6. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey Ona,

there is some space for suitcases buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut not too much. my suitcase did fit in my locker because I could press it together.. Some ppl even have the chance to store the suitcase at the end of their bed... Don't worry....

We Merchies do have guest area access. We are allowed to use the pools, deck 4, can go into the walt disney theatre when there are shows, movies ... as long as we do not take away seats from guests. We have to be in Disney Look but none really cares. On your night off you can request Dinner in on of the Restaurants or even go to Palos (adults only).

Laundry: There are washing machines for the crew. I usually did my washing monday night or on nassau days.

Traditions: The three days that u stay in orlando u will have the boring traditions like of the IP. You have to do a saftey test (written) and later on CC a wet drill. U will get ur Disney ID already, your crew ID for the ship u will get when u r on board. You can open a bank account on board with bank of america. they are on board every two weeks..

hope the informations will help you.

See ya on the ship,

Dani

7. Ona

Ona Member

Thanks Dani. :)

Yet more questions, what does the CC wet drill involve? ???

How are the merch staffing levels on your ship at the mo? It would appear that my hold up is coming from DCL now. That's been 4 months since the interview and over a year since I started trying to apply. Patience certainly is a virtue. ::) ;D

Ona ;)

8. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hey Ona,

wet drill is much fun. at first everyone is scared but u will love it. You just jump into the water with your life vest, you gonna wear one of those oversize diving suits and jump into the water and you have to roll over a liferaft.. its fun, don't worry.

I have no idea about the staffing level, there are no ppl resigning right now (wonder). But that can change pretty fast. I know about a german boy who applied during his year in Epcot and he's going to work at the wonder (hiring date 03/21).. He had his interview last august.

Don't understand why you have so much trouble wit IS. I applied in April last year and got hired right away, left for the wonder in June. From October - first week of January we really needed ppl because we were shooooooooooooort and the magic as well.. Have you ever tried to get in contact with someone from Disney Cruiseline @ Celebrations?

Dani

9. Ona

Ona Member

Thanks again Dani. :)

Alas, the saga continues. ::) Spoke to IS today. The lastest update from DCL was sent out yesterday (i.e. the list of people to get started with visas, medicals etc.) and I was apparently the only merchie not on the list. DCL now have too many merchies lined up apparently. So there's still absolutely no idea what's happening. I suggested maybe I should call DCL myself and IS said that would achieve nothing. ???

This is really starting to cause me problems. :-\ I've already finished up with my job and started packing up my flat. It's very difficult to get another job as i have no idea when I'm going to have to dissappear down to london for medicals and visa interviews or leave for the cruise. :( It's also leaving a hole in my CV which is never a good thing either. IS suggested I take another job and let IS know when I'd be available from that job (i.e. sept or later!!!!!!). I don't want to wait till sept! That's crazy.

I really feel like I'm going crazy here.

I just have no idea what to do. ???

Ona ;)

10. *Laura*

*Laura* New Member

hey ona its loobie

cant believe theyre so unorganised.....u dont think ul get there til sept now??

im typing my cv up at the moment, gonna email it to IS as i wanna try and get interview for cruise...

does anyone know how many times a year they recruit is it just one set of interviews in london in october each year???

do i need to email and post my cv or is emailing it enough, do i need to attach a covering letter too? HELP!! is the address the infos@internationalservices.com one?

lol, ona i bet u cant believe im applying for cruise, but im actually totally serious! im 21 now and i need a bit of a change!

love loobie
    xxxxxxx

11. Ona

Ona Member

Hey Loobie. Tell me about it! ::)

I've emailed you.

BTW, just remembered when I got on the train, you still have my bubble gun & machine. ;D Lol. ;D

Hugs,

Ona. ;)

12. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

Ona
    if you're a qualified teacher - can't you get a job in a more indemand position like Children's Councellor? maybe you'd get on the ship quicker?  or would have to re-interview?

Just wondering...  just an idea to end your saga!
    Good luck
    :)

13. Ona

Ona Member

Yeah I asked about that and I was told I was not qualified enough! :eek: Apparently they want specific experience for those roles i.e. summer camp work. But I still find it rather odd. :-\ ::) It almost felt like I was actually sort of railroaded into merch so I assumed they really needed people there. So much for that theory. ::) ;D Lol!

Ona ;)

14. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

AH! I couldn't do the stupid wet drill cause I can't swim!!! AHHHH!!

Shan

15. Dougslar

Dougslar New Member

When I worked on the Wonder there were quite a few people who couldn't swim! I found that quite strange, why would you want to work on a ship if you couldn't swim? Although I don't suppose you would survive very long in the freezing Atlantic even if you could swim!!!!

You actually don't have to be able to swim to do the wet drill. You have a life jacket on all the time. Although it is much harder to swim with that thing on than without it!!! ??? And they are such a lovely fashion accessory during drills especially when accompanied by a bright orange traffic control vest and hat!!! :p

Laura. :)

16. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

But I still have to JUMP into the water!

If the boat goes down, you're screwed anyways. I'll just have to try to float on a piece of wood.

Shan

17. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

any word Ona on when your gonna be leavin for the ship?

18. Ona

Ona Member

Alas, no. The wait continues.

How bizzarre. Although, having said that, I know of a few folks wanting to head out for DCL who have fears of ships/boats. :-\ ;D Lol.

Ona x

19. *Laura*

*Laura* New Member

ona, i couldnt possibly imagine who u mean wen u say there are some who are afraid of ships! haha

il get over it

anything for disney

loobie
    xxxxxxxxx

20. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

HA HA HA!!! I'm not afraid of big boats and I'll go in a pool, but I HATE getting water in my face and don't like being around water when there is a chance someone will throw me in. I would have issues cause I'd have to jump in and go under water...ahh! Am I jumping into the ocean or a pool??

Shan