Setting up ICP in my University

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by JasminClermont, Jul 3, 2013.

1. JasminClermont

JasminClermont New Member

Hello! I'm Jasmine from Montreal in Canada, I'm a future student in Communication or Administration at Sherbrooke University. It's been over 3 years that I learned about ICP and since then, I want to make everything possible to do that program. If it works, I'll apply for ICP in 2015-2016

The only problem is that my university doesn't ofer such a program, so what I would like to do is to set up that in my own university. To do so, i would like a little bit of help from all of you. This means tat I need to know how exactly does ICP work, what is done once there, is it compatible with my program ( does the course a ken have any link with communication, marketing or administration( management)). And also, if anybody can eli me b telling me what I should do and to won I should talk to.

I already talked about my project to my university and they seem interested in the idea, but for now, i need to seek infos on m own and start to PR with the right person to make my dream come true.

Would you like to help me in this adventure?

2. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Hi! There is loads of info out there, from other bloggers, and from this site!

Just wanted to let you know though, you can do the program without having it run by your Uni. For example, in the UK we apply through a company called Yummy Jobs, but there are also a few Unis that offer the program too.

Good luck! :D

3. JasminClermont

I sent an email to Yummy jobs asking if I could do the College program, the only thing they answered me was that :''With regards to the academic program, due to the study aspect, participants would have to be attending a partner school in the required major of hospitality or tourism.''

then the offered that I look into the J-1 cultural exchange summer work program.

The thing is that at my university, i need to do some internships and since the J-1 is only a summer work, I don't think that I could get credit for it. Did it happen to someone else?

4. JasminClermont

also, what are the job opportunities? for me they have to be related to communication, administration and marketing.

5. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Oh I see! The academic program that is linked to universities has slightly different job roles on offer than the summer ICP, one of which is front desk (at hotels) and I believe Guest Relations at the parks, which would be great for communication! :)

6. JasminClermont

there is an academic program not linked to universities? what is it called? I only know about the J-1(summer work) and he Cultural representative(too long for me)

the two roles you said really appeal to me, so like you say it is only offered with academic program? So now, how do I link a new university to the program? I spoke with yummy jobs and they sid they were unable to add new universities at the moment. Is there another way around?

7. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

There;s the CRP, Summer Work Experience, and Academic Exchange program. The Academic exchange is the one linked to universities, and you have to be in a participating University to be able to do that I believe.

If Yummy Jobs say they can't add any more universities, I don't think there's a way around it i'm afraid, as they are the ones that deal with the applications etc. Looks like you'll just have to apply for the ICP Summer Work experience and not have it count towards your Uni course! ???

8. JasminClermont

I believe that for an university to have such a program, someone decided one day to introduce it in that place. I want to be that someone, the only thing is that I'm not shure exactly how to do it.

9. ana_leal

ana_leal New Member

Hello!

Well in the case for the Summer ICP for Mexico we need to send an email to the recruiters in MExico with information about the person in charge of the international programs so they can talk to them and then be part of the list of selected universities.

Then once your school is in that list, you can apply with the normal process.

Thats what im doing right now actually, trying to put my university in that list of selected schools.

10. Catherine09

Catherine09 Member

Hi! I'm also from Quebec! I think the reason why they don't deal with universities in our province is because we have Cegep and our education life is a bit different from the rest of the Canada! If I read or hear something that could help you in your process, it's sure I'll tell you about it! ;)