SHOES!!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by nicki1404, Aug 26, 2011.

1. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

Just been offered a Merch position for DCL... i used to work in the parks but wondered what the rules were for dcl on wearing branded trainers.. Says we have to wear black leather shoes (which i have) and have white lace up trainers... Ive found some NB or Nike ones but both have logos on (in white) ive known cast to wear these before!? i used to wear walmart trainers but not sure my feet could cope with cheap shoes again for 6 months! Nicki x

2. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

oooohhhh congrats!! ive also just been offered a place in merch too :D
    the shoe part confuses me. . .like do we deffs need to get black smart lace ups and white sneakers? COS im not entirerly sure and i dont wana get both then find out we only need 1 or the other. . .and with the smart back shoes, so they have to be lace ups like the ones in the picture (they look pretty manky) or can we just have smart black shoes, cos i have some smart 'pumps with a strap'
    proably best if i call the company :p

do you know what ship your on yet? xx

3. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

im super stressing about shoes, i think ive found some black lace up shoes but looking at all the pictures their "mens" style shoes, its bloody hard for us girlys to get a decent pair of black lace up 'dress' shoes, this pair ive found i think are pretty perfect. . .but then im not sure if their too 'casual' STRESSSS!!!!

4. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

i think we defo need both, as my friend already works for dcl merch and told me the trainers are for working on castaway and smart shoes for ship. but you cant have logos on the trainers .... SO best bet it getting them from walmart when we get there.... add me on facebook if ya lke... im nicki shade ( i was sitting middle row, left side of room by aisle!)

5. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

i think ive added the right nicki shade to facebook :D

6. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

ive thought bout getting my shoes from walmart again too, but after wearing my black sneakers for 3 months they were ready to go in the bin haha, PLUS im such a worry guts i wouldnt trust giving myself all my trust in crappy walmart :p atleast we have till whenever to find our shoes :)
    have they given you a ship and a date yet? x

7. jj2012

jj2012 New Member

I've been offered a Merch position as well, I was wondering the same thing about the shoes I also did an ICP and don't want to be stuck in walmart shoes again - once was enough for that haha.

Do you guys know when you'll be joining the ship?

8. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

I have no idea when im joining a ship yet, DESPERATE to know haha

and the hunt for the perfect shoes carries on. . .

9. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

You will need good shoes! 70 hours a week, 6 months straight, lots of standing... your feet will kill you if you don't have good shoes (or at least good inserts).

I was in YA - they will say you need all white no brand trainers - I always had a brand mark on it (it's hard to find otherwise). I just made sure the brand mark was white or light gray. The only time I heard of anyone having a problem was when the brand mark was black, and they just painted it out with white paint. Merch will need white trainers for Castaway Cay.

It's always good to bring the shoes with you, as you may not have the time during traditions to get them. You can buy them on the ship and they will be sent a few weeks after. If you are out of Port Canaveral you will have access to Walmart and other stores. You can also order shoes online and have them sent to the ship.

Try not to stress too much. Just bring all recommended shoes - some you may only have to wear for 4 hours once a month but you will still need them.

10. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

awesome! thanks for the advice! :D do you still work for DCL!? XX

11. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

No I don't. I spent 3 and a half years on board. I just resigned in March because I grew tired of ship life. I loved the job (for the most part) and working for Disney. The people were amazing as well. Living on a ship and not having a lot of freedom is hard and I needed a break.

I must admit I miss it. I hope you have a great time.

12. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

Can I just confirm exactly how those who applied for Merch did it? Just so I know I am doing it correctly when I apply. Thanks

13. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

I applied through the agency, not sure there is a correct way, you just send them your CV!?
    nicki x

14. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

15. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

ok, so im pretty confused about what my black shoes have to look like working in merch!? can anyone 100% tell me if they are the black leather pump style shoe OR black lace up dress shoes!?

16. bekahkiley

bekahkiley New Member

I am former military and we had some oxfords that we wore by Bates, they have durashocks and are pretty comfortable/durable, are these types of shoes acceptable for "dress shoes" for women in the guest services role? (I won't be buying these online, I will get them from a friend who is still in the military... haha)

Here are two different designs:

http://www.wayfair.com/Bates-Footwe...-Black-E00769-BCJ1014.html?refid=FR49-BCJ1014

http://www.wayfair.com/Bates-Footwe...Shocks%AE-Oxford-in-Black-E00742-BCJ1012.html

17. Catefran90

Catefran90 New Member

Hey guys! I did happen to find this website http://www.keukafootwear.com/ which has all the shoes except the teva sandals and I am pretty sure that this is the site they took the pictures from in the shoes look book page! Hope this helps!

18. bekahkiley

bekahkiley New Member

Okay so this is urgent, I haven't had time to get my dress shoes seeing as I go on vacation tomorrow then I head to Orlando for training. And only had a weeks notice to prepare to leave... Will these shoes be good to go? http://www.zappos.com/product/7678286/color/3 I already have them but I didn't know if the wingtip design will be okay.

I am working guest services.

19. nicki1404

nicki1404 New Member

pretty sure they will be fine! i dont have to have that style for merch but they look exzctly like the ones in the dsney look thing they sent me! you can always order some onboard if disney dont think they are good enough!! good luck!! X

20. bekahkiley

bekahkiley New Member

Ha thanks ! Well I have a pair of black ballet flats, black heels, and black oxfords now so I should be fine! Who knew NYC had so many cheap shoe stores?! ;) I leave today of training!