Taking food!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by ellen101, May 15, 2005.

1. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Hey everyone

does anyone know what food products we're allowed to take into the US with us?? I know they don't allow fruit, veg and meat (but I wasn't planning on taking any of those!), but just wondered about everything else....tea bags, chocolate, marmite etc.... :D

Ellen x :D

2. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

im sure you can take chocolate as i remember having a kit kat from home with me and i didnt eat it til we were in the hotel. marmite id imagine is ok, as long as its sealed

i dont see y u cant take tea bags as you can get tetley tee out there which they have to let into the country t some point somewhere i guess

xx

3. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

yeh sure u can take a few things..dont take yoghurt tho...lol...nearly got told of for that..hehe oooooops

:D

4. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

FYI....

I just found this: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukcust1.html#food

What kind of food products can I bring to the U.S.?
    Food, Plant, and Animal Products
    General List of Approved Products

This list covers products from all areas except Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Bamboo - dried poles only
    Beads made of seeds - (but not jequirity beans)
    Breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods
    Candies, confectionery, chocolates
    Cheeses - fully cured hard cheese only
    Coconuts - (but husks or milk must be removed)
    Coffee - roasted beans only
    Dried foods - including polished rice, beans, and tea
    Fish
    Flower bulbs - (but not crocosomia, gladiolus, and watsonia bulbs from Africa, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Portugal or Uruguay)
    Flowers - most fresh or dried kinds (but not with roots), except eucalyptus
    Fruits - canned or dried products only
    Herbarium plants - (but not witchweed)
    Herbs - dried, for medicinal use
    Mushrooms
    Nuts - (but not chestnuts or acorns or nuts with outer husks)
    Sauces - canned or processed
    Seaweed
    Seeds - (but not avocado, bamboo, barberry, coconuts, corn, cotton, currant, elm, hibiscus, lentil, mahonia, mango, pearl millet, potato, rice, sorghum, and wheat)
    Shamrocks - without root or soil
    Soup and soup mixes - (but not those containing meat)
    Spices - dried (but not curry leaves)
    Straw animals, hats, baskets, and other souvenirs - (but not items stuffed with straw)
    Vegetables - canned or processed

Ellen xxx :D
    P.S. Did anyone know that a shamrock was edible??? ::)

5. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

o gunna bring sum flower bulbs now its allowed..ahh damn no witch weed!!!!!!! :D :D ;D ;D ;D.and sum seaweed...
    thats cool..might bring a few things

xx ;D ;D ;D

6. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

Some of that stuff is weird!! :eek: However, I am almost 99% sure you cannot take marmite with you. I'm sure there was a discussion about it a fair while ago. Doesn't bother me I'm afraid (one of the haters!). But I'm sure going to take some chocolate and so on- I'm going to miss Cadburys (had a long discussion with Jason from Yummy on the way back from my interview about this lol! ;)
    Charlotte x

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

theres a brittish shop my friend knows of. they sell marmite, irn bru and NORMAL bread, coz the florida bread tastes funny!

I'll get the address off them!

x

8. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

lol...i want american food...

9. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

hmmm have you ever tried denny's boca burger?

Its americas version of quorn type burgers! sooooooooooo good!

xx

10. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

no i havnt but i defo will do..as i love the quorn burgers.........

xx ;D ;D ;D

11. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

p.s i also love dennys lol ;) ;D ;D

12. kelly_p

kelly_p New Member

there is a place in old town that sells all british food - including - dare i say it pot noodles!Winn Dixie and walmart sell things like cadburys tho dont they! its also good that they sell robinsons blackcurrant cos without that i wouldnt last 5 mins out there as thats all i drink - pretty sad i no lol ;D

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

haha its so good! and you can have ANY burger they do, and just substitute the boca burger instead of the beef burger! so its a great idea! not so limited!

Kelly....think a yeah of pot noodles will do me the world of good!

xx

14. Gem

Gem New Member

Why dont we just pop to Epcot lol o wow how ace does that sound just poppin to a theme park.....'i fancy going on splash mountain ne body fancy poppin to the Magic Kingdom with me for a go' lol wicked!!!!!!

xXx

15. Liz

Liz New Member

lol...last time i worked in America i ordered some british stuff on line and had it sent over. I was addicted to blue wkd at the time tho as well and they sent it over even though i was only 19... great stuff!!!! Publix has an english aisle where they sell tea, cadburys,marmite,robinsons, hob nobs, heinz etc so i wouldn't worry too much. All though it probably is cheaper to take stuff out there with you, if you can fit it in your suitcase!

Liz xxx

16. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

oo i wwwove hob nobs...ill be goping down that aisle...........lol

17. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

It's the "ethnic food" aisle at Publix. The prices will make you cry though...it'll say 33P and it'll cost you like 5 bucks. The do sell lots of chocolate, Irn Bru, Robinsons, etc. You can buy lots of cadburys chocolate in the pavilion. Not so bad with the discount. We only sold Coffee Crisps sometimes in the Canadian pav., so we'd go to the UK to get the rest of our fav chocolate bars.

Wow, Charlotte...you and I have been on here for too long!!! I was going to say that I remember a discussion about Marmite way back before I left in July of 03...that it was illegal. Dunno though.

Slightly off topic...if you go to Hawaii...don't take ANYTHING with you. They don't let very much stuff onto the islands. Think my mom had an apple in her bag and forgot and go in sooooo much trouble for it.

Shan

18. mojojojo

mojojojo New Member

An apple?!! Bloody hell!

I'm gonna just take a few cans of Irn Bru with me - cant live without the amber nectar that is Irn Bru! I'm Scottish - its in my blood! mmmmmm!

Jo
    xx

19. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

i remeber the marmite discussion too! :-[ i was gonna mention it!

20. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

oh well then marmite's out!

yeah know what you mean about irn bru....theres simly no way i could live without that stuff!

x