Tattoos

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by TomPrince, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Hi

I am looking to apply for the programme , but i have a few tatoos on my lower right arm that are visible . I am just wondering whether it is worth my while applying for the programme as these might not be looked upon kindly . I am willing to cover them up , i.e by wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Hope soome one can help me here

Many thanks

Tom

2. Gareth

Gareth New Member

you ar probably best to email disney to find out as things may have changed, but when i was there back in 2000 it wouldnt have been allowed. i dont think you are allowed piercings let alone visible tattoos, but its worth going direct as they may have reviewed the disney look

Gareth

3. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Cheers for the quick reply . I pretty much assume that I wont be able to apply but theres no harm in trying i guess!

4. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Itll depend on your countrys costume i guess.

If the costume covers them up then youll probably be okay to apply, but if not then i think youre out of luck. At the interview i just attended they said visible tattoos are not allowed. Like gareth said - its probably best to go to disney and ask them, or talk to the recruiter in the country youre from.

Hope it works out for you!

5. flavour

flavour New Member

problem could be that i guess all countries do wear short-sleeve shirts in the summer...but you could get some camouflage make-up! hihi!
    but just try, they can't say more then no, and then you can at least say you tried!
    good luck!

later! flavour xoxo

6. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Cheers for the help . I remember when i was over at Disney World in the summer there was a few people in the England world that wore long sleeved shirts and that was at the peak in July , so there could always be a chance i guess !

Best of luck you the non tattooed guys and girls out there !

7. eeyore22

eeyore22 New Member

Definately go for it Tom. I have 4 tattoos, 2 on the top of my arms, and 2 on my back. Disney are aware of this, and i'm still being considered for a job, so as long as you can cover them with a long sleeved shirt, you'll be fine ;D
    Best of luck
    Dan

8. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Thankyou everyone for the advice . Im grateful to you all . If anyone fancies having a chat on msn messenger sometime feel free to drop by abolishment_of_luxury@hotmail.com

9. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

Hey there!
    As long as you are willing to cover the tattoos up and there is the possibility of long sleeves I guess you will be fine. Especially being a guy it's always easier, cause it doesn't look so out of the ordinary compared to a girl with a dress.I don't know how big the tattoos are or how far down your arm, but sometimes a band-aid already helps to cover up!

Laterz
    Julia

10. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

The tattoos kinda cover quiet a bit of my lower arm so i would need a big band aid! Im willing to cover them up and i dont see there being a problem really aslong as i am willing to do that. Have you guys been on the programme before ?

11. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I've been on the programm a few years back. I knew many people with tattoos, but all of them were rather hidden or they could be covered by the costumes. I didn't know any guys with tattoos on their lower arm and like you say it is a bit bigger so the only way to really hide it is with a
    long sleeve. It'll depend which pavillion you work at ( if it'll fit with the costumes ), but overall it should be fine, since EVERYONE is wearing long sleeves in the "winter" time ( yes it can get cold ) so they should allow you to wear it any other day, too, although some managers can get a bit weird and picky about that stuff. Well just let them know and they'll provide you with the answers!!! Good luck!

Laterz
    Julia

12. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Did you enjoy the programme ? I guess it is a great experience isnt it?

13. flavour

flavour New Member

believe me she did!! hahaha!! (sorry jules, i'm bored, have to do sth!) we've been there together and we had a blast!! as for me, i had the best time ever! so try everything you can to make sure you get over there!!
    and for the it can get cold thing! omg!! the winter there was so bad!! just like here now, just without the snow! remember outside at the cart wearing our dress with a turtleneck, jacket, coat, scarf, hat and gloves and still freezing our sexy little butts off?? and the year after?? finest weather again!! must have been us! :( hahaha

later! flavour xoxo

14. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

how long ago were you there? how long did you spend out there and did you get paid much etc? Sorry for all the questions but im just curious as to how it was for someone thats already been and done it .

15. flavour

flavour New Member

we've been there oct.00-oct.01, so one full year (and so long ago already! :() well, since we worked in merch we just got our regular $6.32/hour, which was fine in the beginning when we still had our 40hrs/week, in the end it was just enough for rent and groceries...i was really glad that i had saved up some money before so i could go on trips or go shopping...but like i said, i had the best time ever, met so many people from all over the world that i'm still in contact with, even live together with 2 german girls i met there and work together now with another one!
    well, if you have any more questions feel free to ask! where are you from btw?

later! flavour xoxo

16. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Ive just been told that I cant apply for this programme because i have tattoos on my lower arm
    :(

17. flavour

flavour New Member

oh no! :( sorry to hear!! there's no way? at all?? sh**!

18. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

I think its disgusting that i cant apply . The tattoos I have i dont regret , nor should i be made to regret having them ( a tribute to my recently passed away mother ) and just because I have tattoos it doesnt make me any less of a person or good at a job . Im angered by what I have been told .
    Im willing to cover up my tattoos , so surely its time that Disney adopt a 21st century attitude towards employees

19. flavour

flavour New Member

first up: really sorry about your mother! :( i can understand that the whole thing makes you even more angry!
    and i think you're right! while i was there i haven't met any guests who i think would have been offended by a tattoo or a piercing! and you say you're willing to cover them up! so what's the big deal? they should take more care of personality than looks! after all that's how you interact with people, not by your look! it's more important to employ people that connect with the guests not people that would win a beauty pageant! everyones' unique personality makes the guests come back!

20. TomPrince

TomPrince New Member

Well i must say , that is the first time in a while i have heard someone speak such sense , i thankyou
    One thing is for sure , I dont regret what I have and who I am , tattoos are merely an extension of my personality . Im a nice guy and I get on well with everyone , i cant see how one cast member wearing a long sleeved shirt would make a difference to the whole thing . Especially seeing how when i was at Epcot this summer , i spoke to a guy working in the pub and he had a long sleeve shirt on.