Telephone Interviews

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Sellwegger, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

:) My partner and I have our telephone interviews tomorrow and I was wondering if anybody had any hints or tips for them? Also, can anyoone tell us what they include and do you get to know straight away if you'll be offered a face to face interview?

We were working on the basis that so many get offered a telephone interview, we're excited but still very aware that this is the very first hurdle of many! :)

2. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

From what I remember this is quite straight foreward. You get asked a series of questions like why you want the job, what you would want someone to know about where you live, the skills you can bring to the job and things like that. You don't know right away. They write and tell you if you got through to the next stage and then if so they write again nearer the date to say when you are going to be interviewed. Its kinda a drawn out process.

3. SaraC

SaraC New Member

When i had my phone interview in May, they ask you questions about yourself how you get on in teams, how you would get on with living with people from a different culture/country, and how you would embrace this type of situation.

also had questoins about where you live, main features of ur town if u were to describe it to someone who doesn't know, if there's anythin famous about where you live etc. u also get the why do you wanna work for disney question, what you think you could learn from the job. cant think what else.

but no as said above they just thank you for takin part in the interview on the phone and they email/send u a letter in the post. I got both. They send you a reply if u r & if u rnt successful so u will definately here, well thats the UK procedure I don't know if that applies 2 u or not, i expect other countries interviewing is quite similar.

Sara x

4. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

I'm really nervous actually. I just don't want to gabble on for ages (which) is normal, or make an pratt of myself :p

I've researched some things about my town online today (at a very boring day at work!) so i have some things to say, and i'm going to have a final read through of all the advice on here tonight. I just hope i don't muck it up! But I suppose only time will tell :)

Its worse as i've got the interview in my lunchbreak! I'll just be keeping my fingers and toes crossed the whole time :eek:

Thanks guys for all your advice, its really helped ;D

5. SaraC

SaraC New Member

Glad to have helped, i'm sure u'll b fine, so don't worry!! they don't try to trick you with any questions and as long as ur prepared i'm sure u'll b fine!! Just try and stay calm and be yourself!!

Sara x

6. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

Had my interview about 45 mins ago and feel very relieved its over 8)

Think i did ok, there were a few questions i think i mucked up on, but hey i was nervous :eek: just hope I get through now to the interviews in Feb!

Does anyone know how many people get actual jobs from those at the presentation? out of 40 odd people that go there must be a good number of disapointed applicants :'(

7. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

I dunno the exact figures. I know at least 10 people out of my interview group went to Disney in the time I was there. There are probably about 100 to 200 people that go to the interviews though as they have 2 days worth (I think its around 40 a day but not entirely sure, might be more as I can't guess on the number). The theatre we were in was pretty much full and there were at least 10 rows of seats with around 12 seats in each I reacon. Not sure exact figures though.

8. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

Just got fingers crossed i get through this bit! I wonder what their criteria for passing the telephone interview is? :p

9. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

It would be nice to know what their criteria is! If you dont pass the phone interview then all they do is send out a really generic letter saying they have better qualified candidates (or something like that!) and you cant get individual feedback so can be quite frustrating!!

Am sure youll be fine though - if you just be yourself and enjoy it then hopefully itll all work out in the end!!!

Michelle xx

10. baby_natz16

baby_natz16 New Member

I had my telephone interview today - I'm a re-applicant. I think it's really hard to tell what they are looking for. I think I was prob the same standard as I was last time...and I didnt get it, but I don't know what else I could possibly add. xxx

11. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

I had my telephone interveiw yesterday.. Since this is my 1st one I have nothing to compare it to.. but I think it was ok. Here's what they asked me:

-Why did u apply
    -What would u get from the experience?
    -How would you deal with angry/upset customers?
    -How would you describe your culture to visitors?

And a few other things I can't remember. The thing to kep thinking is that they're not out to find your weakness, I think they just want to know you are a positive person with common-sense and that certain 'je ne sais quoi'..

Good Luck All! ;D

12. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

So if we've got Va Va Voom then we'll be ok ;D

Just have to wait now and see what happens, good luck, hopefully we'll meet at the february interviews :)

13. swedey2k

swedey2k Guest

I had the angry/upset customers one, it kind of threw me, i babbled on about trying to see there perspective and explain calmly etc, and if it was above me to get my manager!! :-\

Also, I talked about Welsh Rarebit for quite a while, when she asked me about any local delicacies from near me. I think i've eaten Welsh Rarebit about three times in my life!!

14. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

I used to think it was Welsh Rabbit! :D (isn't it just cheese on toast??)

Ellen xxx

15. DisneyMichelle

I used to think that too Ellen!! Never knew what it was though!! Is it really just cheese on toast!?!?

Fingers crossed for all you guys who recently had you phone interview - hopefully youll all get to meet at the february interviews!!!

Michelle xx

16. SaraC

SaraC New Member

haha michelle and ellen!

oh i had the angry upset customer and also a few role plays in mine, if there were a lot of customers fighting to get served at the same time how would you manage the situation etc. and also about someone having cold food/wrong order how would i make sure everythin was corrected

that seems ages ago now and it was 6 months ago! must have said the right things as got through to the face to faces. Michelle i'm so nervous now, ive gone mad the past few days every phone call, whenever the letterbox goes even the fact i have emails! i lost it!

17. DisneyMichelle

I know what you mean Sara!! The mobile rang this morning and I started panicking!!!

Rationally I know its sunday and Yummy wont be working today but I cant help it!!! I think Id rather just know now - even if it s a 'no thanks' - I just want to stop the madness!!!

Michelle xx

18. SaraC

SaraC New Member

yeah id rather know whatever way now! the waiting is killin me, im sucha impatient person!! i know im like that and i know yummy wont b workin 2day, its the fact i had private number on my fone, but it wasnt them! haha tut i need 2 chill for a few hours, at least til 2moro mornin wen jason & alexis will b bk in their offices :-\ :eek:

19. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

Did yummy say they would call you?

I'm waiting for an email or a letter, so each morning i check the post and each day after work i check my email. It's harsh as i get all excited when i see 6 New Emails pop up and i think to myself "they can't all be junk, 1 must be from yummy jobs, please please please" but alas, yep, they're all junk! lol x :(

20. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

I didn't get a call I got a letter and it took bloody ages too