The chance may never come again...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt1133, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I wonder how many people will recognize the title of this post from the CBC Hockey Night in Canada opening for the playoffs...

Anyways, I figured since April 21st is quickly approaching, might as well start a post for the great Canadian game of Hockey! BTW, for those who don't know, April 21st is the start of the playoffs. So feel free to comment on games, give your predictions, cheer, whatever!

2. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Oh, did anyone see the post game reaction from the Oilers/Blues game last night? I'm sorry, but that was not very respectful on the part of MacT to subtly "blame" the retirement ceremony for theiir teams loss. I thought that was quite low, to be honest.

Anyways, the West is still pretty close, I think San Jose will make it, the way Thornton and Cheechoo are playing. Either the Oilers or the Canucks will take the final spot, and I'm inclined to go with the Canucks coz they're better in pressure situations. Although they have a home and home vs. the Sharks.

In the east. I think things will stay the same, NJ, Montreal and Tampa will make it and the Thrashers and Leafs will put their sticks away and bring out their golf clubs :p

3. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Well for me I don't get a lot of networks in my dorm room so I miss the majority of the Oilers games... I have to agree with Mac T though, after the warmup the oilers were confined to their dressing room for almost an hour...

While it's certianly not the only factor you can bet it played a little into their loss.

Accoriding to the radio braodcast (my only option) it sounded like the reffing was horrible as well...

I can't believe how tight this playoff race is, it's looking like it's going to be Edmonton or Vancouver that dosn't make it at this point

4. flavour

flavour New Member

we don't have any channel broadcasting the games at all! and that really sucks! all i can do is check for the results...german hockey really sucks, went to a few games but it's just boring most of the time...going to a nhl game would be dream come true!

go montreal!

5. Jorden

Jorden New Member

You wanna know something odd? When the olympics was on, here in Edmonton Alberta I saw someone wearing a Team Germany hockey jersey!

6. flavour

flavour New Member

weird! especially since hockey isn't that big here in germany (unfortunately)...we do have our own league, but like i said, games are crappy!

7. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

You are one of my new favorite people! Montreal Rocks!!! and Huet is gonna bring home the cup! The era of Quebec goaltenders is ending, and the era of French goalies has just begun!!!

Anyways, that is something I will be slightly sad about, is missing the playoffs. But who knows, maybe the Habs will meet the Lightning in the 2nd or 3rd round... I can only hope. Til then, I'll have to survive on NHL.com and french radio broadcasts...

Germany may not be the biggest hockey country, but it certainly is on its way to becoming a hockey powerhouse. Even though Kolzig was pretty much the only notable player on their Torino roster, in a few more years, we'll be seeing them beating teams like Canada, Sweden and Finland on a regular basis.

8. flavour

flavour New Member

thank you! ;D

about germany becoming a hockey powerhouse...well, would be nice, but i don't really think so! that's what people already said couple of years ago and nothing happene! but let's see...

9. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

That might be true, I think they just need something to boost the popularity, like a stunning upset or something. Kinda like Switzerland beating the Czechs and us Canadians. I think the next few olympics, they will become a lot better because more people will want to play hockey, they'll have to improve the programs to accomodate the demand and in the end, it will produce better players. I think Germany would be able to do the same. The thing is that the top teams can not get any much better, but the one's who are a bit behind can improve on a lot of things and become contenders... I guess we'll see though

10. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I don't think we did all that bad in hockey ( well this Olympics we did but not that bad 4 years ago...and actually a lot of much more promising teams didn't do very well either ). Well we won so many medals, guess we can't be best in everything lol I love hockey and I wish it would become more popular, but unfortunately soccer rules the germans life. I can't believe we had all these hockey games here ( now that I am in Fort Lauderdale ) and I missed it all. I could've even gotten free tickets ( stupid work, always puts me on pm shifts ).

Julia

11. Jorden

Jorden New Member

woahwoahwoah... free tickets :eek: is this a cast member perk or did you just happen to have an in (I plan on booking off a night for a game when I go down).

12. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I agree, free tickets are cool! I'd check out the Lightning, and even the Panthers! There's some good Canadian talent on those teams: Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Luongo...

Can you believe that just 2 years ago, I was at the red mile chanting insults about Lecavalier and co.? I should take it back, they are pretty good, but the Flames still should have won!

Germany did do decently well, for the players they had, probably did better than we did this year... :-[ I'm so ashamed!!!! Vancouver 2010, our boys will show up for sure, so watch out!!!

13. flavour

flavour New Member

julia's working at a hotel in ft. lauderdale where all the teams stay when they play the panthers...well, none when i was there! still waiting for those autographs and phone numbers! ;-)
    and yes, i was really dissapointed of the candians this year, too! what was going on?

14. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I'm not 100% sure, could've been many things. Could have been how tight the NHL schedule was so many players were tired, they didn't have much time to practice, although arguably, most of the other teams didn't either. It could have been the lockout and many of our Canadian Players did not go over to Europe to play so they weren't in as good shape. You'll notice that the players that did perform the best were those who played in Europe, like Thornton and not players who didn't, like Iginla...
    But who knows the exact reasons, maybe everyone is just getting better!
    All I know was that we didn't play like a team and we paid the price...

That would be cool to watch the panthers. Although, depending on the time of year you were there, they might not have been playing... The panthers don't exactly make the post season very often, probably not many times since they had the Beezer in net back in 96 was it? and they got swept in the finals by Roy and the avalanche?

15. Jorden

Jorden New Member

You know I think some inconsistancy from one Jose Theodore probably cost the Canadians a few games this year...

16. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Oh, I don't disagree with you. He's been a bit off his game since he won the Vezina and Hart trophy. I think he'll do well in Colorado though, he just needed a change of scenery and a fresh start. He's been through a lot this year and I hate the media cause they're always making everything worse than it really is.

I'm not worried though, the habs will make it, both Huet and Aebischer are on fire!

17. flavour

flavour New Member

i was there a couple of weeks ago, so they were actually playing...maybe i just had other stuff in mind... ;D

18. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

They won't be playing for much longer though :p what, 3 more games?

Tough loss for the oilers yesterday, leaves the gate wide open for the 'nucks.
    Big game for the 'nucks tonight too against San Jose. It'll be interesting.
    Montreal has a big game too, I think they can clinch with a win tonight. Woot!

19. Jorden

Jorden New Member

Both the Oilers and Nucks have a tough closing schedule... San Jose is Red hot, and so is Anaheim... that brings us to both Edmoton and Vancouvers final game which is against Colorado... should be a fight to the finish...

20. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Hmm, seems like the Canucks pulled off a point tonight. I think San Jose is definitely in... maybe the Oilers and the Canucks can help each other out by both defeating the Avs, that way they'll both make the playoffs.

Slightly disappointed with the Habs tonight, they didn't show up... oh well, they better be back tommorrow!