Things in room

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by chanm002, Apr 30, 2010.

1. chanm002

chanm002 New Member

What do we get in our rooms when we arrive?

Should we take hair dryers?

2. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

You'll need everything except a bed!!

They don't provide anything!!

3. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

Small thing about appliances such as hairdryers:

Although hairdryers will work in the US with a plug adaptor they require a higher voltage in the UK than in the US. This basically means your hairdryer will work at half the power unless you get an adaptor that converts the voltage in the US from 110 to 240. It may just be easier to buy one from walmart because you can get them quite cheaply.

The same things isn't too much of an issue for laptop chargers etc. Just check that your appliance is multi-voltage (not all are!). If it is it should say somewhere on it 100~240V.

4. catfish278

catfish278 Member

And make sure you take a few clothes hangers for your cupboard because there arent any!!!

5. Sofi

Sofi Guest

i would've thought itd be a waste of space in ur suitcase cos most things can be bought in walmart and ud only really need 1 hairdryer in ur room between u both, u could go halfs. I have really short hair tho and the weather will be enough to dry it ;) x

6. catfish278

catfish278 Member

But for example, when I moved into my apartment in 2008, my roomie had already been there for about 4 or 5 weeks and she wasn't the most friendly of people so I wouldn't have wanted to share stuff with her really... but I did buy all toiletries and stuff out there and I bought cheap stuff so I wouldn't feel bad about leaving it there when I left and needed the room in my suitcase!!

7. scarlettheart

scarlettheart New Member

Awww no :( I hope that everyone is friendly - I mean, what's not to be friendly about?! I just can't wait to meet everyone! Do you know what I think would be great if there was a party when people bring a cooked dish from their home country or town, imagine the feast that could be! X

8. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

Or you could just go and eat in Epcot ;)

9. scarlettheart

scarlettheart New Member

Nah. You can't beat home cooked food!

10. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Hahaha... eat around the world!

And put it this way - she thought the air conditioning was too cold so constantly turned it off. Therefore, my apartment was at about 25 degrees at all times...

11. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

I had that with some roommates in LA. They were from Japan and thought it was too cold with the air con on (keep in mind they were sleeping under a sheet. No duvet or anything). Led to massive arguments because it was boiling hot in there.

12. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Yup mine were from barbados... I was the one sleeping with a sheet and I was hot! They had blankets and everything! I don't know how they didnt melt!

13. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

The only time I'm cold sleeping in florida is if the air con is cranked right the way up!

14. Sofi

Sofi Guest

if ur sharing with someone from england tho thatd be cool cos ud both know what its like to really be cold. lol

15. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

Is the rooms they put you in completely randomly chosen or do they try and put you with/without people from your home country? I'd like to be with at least just one British person!
    xxx

16. catfish278

catfish278 Member

Judging from last time it is total luck of the draw... I was with 4 girls from barbados and 1 from south america. My friend in another apartment was with 2 americans and 3 chinese girls!

17. jenkidd67

jenkidd67 New Member

yeah i am pretty sure it id completely random. When i did the program i had another Candian, two people from UK and 2 from hong kong, but same thing, other people's apartments were not as split as mine was.

18. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

Just a question.. linked to experiences I've had at uni!
    Do the people that don't speak English as a first language tend to speak complete fluent English and try to speak it all the time or do they divide in to their own groups and speak their own language all the time?
    Just wondering :) Even though I'm excited to live with people from other cultures, I'd like to get on with everyone in my apartment and hope they'll want to make the effort to speak English in their free time!
    xxx

19. Sofi

Sofi Guest

I think there most likely gunna speak english very well cos u haveto pass a test to work for disney =] x

20. catfish278

catfish278 Member

But you do find that if there are lots of people from one country then they talk to each other in their own country.... but I made friends with people from loads of different places even if their first language wasn't English!