Travelling to NY & luggages

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by christy_bee, May 14, 2010.

1. christy_bee

christy_bee New Member

Hi All~~ I'm gonna arrive on 1st June and I planned to travel to NY after then programms ends.. just wanna ask.. do u guys bring 2 luggages?

I have just started to pack and guess wt it weights 40kg -__-""( I bring only about 7 sets of summer clothings...maybe the luggage itself is heavy..though everything could be bought in Walmart I heard, but then i want to limit my expense so i kind of bring all the old stuffs to disney and will dispose them afterwards) So bringing 2 luggages will probably be the best solutions yet I am a bit worried will it be inconvenient as I am going to arrive at the EWR airport in NY and need to travel a bit to get the mahattan.But then i expect to do quite a lot of shopping in the US.. so.. kind of in a dilemma.. :-\so.. wt will be ur advice???

Do you guys know what kind of transportation is available from the EWR airport to mahattan??
    And btw.. is big apple hostel good and safe? currently looking for NY hostels = )

ops and i will be doing housekeeping!

2. scarlettheart

scarlettheart New Member

Hey, I know the feeling! - hate packing and thinking that I've forgot something! What I would do is weight my empty case and if it is really heavy (and you can afford to) buy a new one. I find that the best kind are the soft case ie: the one that are like big sports bags with wheels and the handle. Then go through your case and remember that you can pack a fair bit in a correctly sized hand luggage bag. Check with your airline but its usually 10 kilos :) When you're packing be ruthless lol I know its hard cause I'm an "everything has to match" kinda girl but if you start from scratch then hopefully this will help!!! Oh and another thing, remove packaging from item too, every gram counts lol. Xxx

3. Sofi

Sofi Guest

A bit off topic but HOW does urs weigh 40???

I'm worried now.

I actually have a weighing thing i bought and my case is 18kg, i keep putting more in cos my allowance is 23. I don't know if its wrong now :s

I'm not kidding but i've actually packed 5 pairs of shoes, a duvet & pillow, literally 40 items of clothing & every lotion & toiletry i need.

So just howww is urs so heavy? LOL

& if any1s wondering why im taking so much its becos i work in a clothes store and i made the most of my staff discount before leaving, i don't mind giving away all the clothes before i come home so i can fit merchandise in ;)

x

4. StevenC

StevenC New Member

ur packing ALREADY?!!!

wat r u gonna wear for the next 2 or 3 weeks if its all in the suitcase?!! lol

5. helium7suz

helium7suz New Member

Double check what your baggage allowance is because some airlines now charge you for a second bag. For me it's way more cost effective to buy stuff out there and leave it behind.
    I'm busy packing but it's my uni stuff that I'm packing up! I won't start actually packing until the weekend before I leave for the airport.

6. christy_bee

christy_bee New Member

wow~ thanks for ur replies..
    i have checked the airline info and I can check in the 2nd luggages w/o extra fees... I totally have no idea why it weights so much...ha maybe its my makeup and skin care products, and bed sheets XD~~ i will try to remove bags and packaging !!!!!!
    actually I have just picked out the itmes i need and try to fill in the case to see how much it weights......... It's my first tiem to leave home for such a long period.. so kind of excited +worried = D

7. christy_bee

christy_bee New Member

ops.. i got it sorted out er... i got it mixed up. lbs and kg... cox when i weight the bags it kind of covered the measure markings..LOL .. I weighted it w/ only the items i would bring home and its about 15 kg... though there is quite a lot of space... i am considering bring 2 medium size luggage instead so that i dun have to pay extra for the excess weights...... my sister even ask me to bring one large one+ medium one....obviously she is planning to ask me to buy a lot of things for her...XD..

8. Sofi

Sofi Guest

I packed a month ago, i haveto move outta my flat so everything has to be in boxes anyway, and i bought brand new clothes for disney, i dont wanna wear them before i go =P lol and ive worked for new look for 2 years with 50% discount so my wardrobe is incredibly full lol x

9. BANGItsLaura

BANGItsLaura New Member

Woh, who are you flying with?
    I'm sure 2 suitcases wouldnt be too much trouble with the trolleys in the airports, but check with the airline first.
    I want to go to New York afterwards!! And shall also be arriving 1st of June :)
    Where you gonna be? I'm on merchandise!

10. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

I think I'll be fine luggage-wise on the way out.. but I'll probably buy another small suitcase to bring home.. depending on how much merchandise and stuff I buy - which will probably be quite a bit! I'll probably see if there's a cute kind of Disney one I can get on discount in the park somewhere :) I like having a pretty suitcase to spot at the conveyor belt at the airport!
    xxx

11. christy_bee

christy_bee New Member

I've packed my luggages already! At first I was like :eek:h there's still room left, lets bring also the...... And now..It's fully packed..
    Some of my friends are doing merchandise too.. I am doing housekeeping..~
    "I like having a pretty suitcase to spot at the conveyor belt at the airport!"<-- Me 2!!! And my luggages are orange and purple in color!!!!!