UK applicants tell us about urself

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by marshabrady, Oct 10, 2004.

1. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

Hey Guys.

Im just completing my application letter to Disney and was wondering what the average UK disney applicant is like. I have applied to start work after my degree, are most of you postgrads or school leavers? Either way, why did u decide to apply? how old are you? And does anyone know the average number of applicants, and the number of places? (i.e. Is there any chance of me getting the dream job?!)

::) Oh, btw..
    im 21 and am applying because i love america, love disney, don't want to get a boring office job yet, want to travel etc.. And my friend worked at disneyland Paris for a while and said it was great!

Cheers,
    Bx :-*

2. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Hey...Welcome to our happy Disney home! :D

I'm Ellen, 21, last year of uni at Reading doing graphic design...and I have my phone interview in 58 minutes! I've also applied for after I graduate to get out there and see the world and find out what other possibilities it holds for me...I too love Disney (but who doesn't on here!? ??? ) and America and new challenges (and I expect that this is quite a hefty one!) and I've wanted to do this job since I was about 12...there's just so much involved in it that you wouldn't get anywhere else....like meeting people from all over the world but having them all in one place, living in a foreign country, working with loads of like minded people who are all there for the same reasons you are!!

Theres always a chance of you getting the job if you want it badly enough...I've, sadly, suffered rejection during a previous application process but now I'm back on top again and raring to go, so even if it doesn't go right for you the first time, don't give up! I've heard that there are a MEGA amount of applicants but don't let that put you off...it hasn't for everyone else on here!

So what uni are you at and what are you studying?? (and what does the B stand for so we can all use your full name!? ;) )

Hope it all goes well, keep us updated!! GOOD LUCK!! :D

Ellen xxx :-*

3. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

Hey!
    Welcome! ;D
    I'm a UKer too. I'm Charlotte (or Charlie! ;)) I'm 21 too, at Bath uni, studying Chemistry though I don't know why! ??? I'm going to apply for when I graduate too- ie. next July and I love Disney too and I REALLY want to work there. ;D I've been rejected too- seems to be a lot of us lately :'( but I'm reapplying, and I'm not going to let it get me down.
    Good luck for your application and hopefully we'll see each other out there! ;D
    Charlotte x

4. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

Hey Ellen & Charlie

Thanks for the replies, and the welcome. wow, sounds like a lot of people are applying (but who can blame them?) I have to admit I wasn't too worried about the competition as I hadn't seen the WDWIP advertised anywhere, so assumed few people knew about it.  :-[ Now i'm freaking out a bit as this is something I really want to do and it seems there is only a small chance of me being able to.

Anyway, I really admire both of your determination and i'm sure Disney do too.. I'm confident that you'll make it through this time, so good luck! Ellen, how did the phone interview go? Was it a British representative for Disney or someone from America? Is that the first phase should they accept your application? And how many face2face interviews do you have to go through afterward? Also, do you know how many phases of the 12 month contract start in a year? (i.e. Does one group start in January, then another group in June etc..)

Sorry for all the questions, i'm a bit over-excited about the whole thing! Btw.. I'm at Liverpool University (but my home is in Hampshire) studying BSc e-business. I graduate in July 2005 so will apply to start asap after that.. Am just ading finishing touches to my CV and cover letter which should be in the post tomorrow morning..

Would appreciate any advice..

Beth x

5. LouRogerson

LouRogerson New Member

Hiya Beth, welcome to the boards, I'm fairly new too, applied late August, had my telephone interview mid September, have got my face-to-face in Feb 2006 (a year later than others because I'm going travelling for a year).

Good luck, there is also a facility to send your cv via email so it'll get there sooner, can't remember the address, but sure somebody has posted it on one of the discussions at some stage.

Louise

6. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Hey Beth,

phone interview went well....better than last time which I think is good, but I fluffed up on the 'tell me about your home town' question....there's just nothing to say about where I live tho!! I hope I did ok in the end!

I think many do apply, but I get the feeling we're in the minority on this site....but we get the edge over others cos there's SO much you can learn from here and talking to other people who've been there, done that, bought MANY t-shirts!! Don't freak out...just be like us and be determined....if you want it badly enough, you'll get it!! :D

The interviewing process is a bit lengthy....First you apply to Yummy jobs (the British casting agent), then they give you a phone interview and then if that's successful you get a face to face interview then you get given the job! (hopefully!!) I liken it to Pop idol!! :D I think the people who do the face to face interview are reps from WDW but before then its all British interviewers!

Don't worry about being over excited...we all are...it adds to the atmosphere around here! :D

Ellen xxx :-*

7. Andy

Andy New Member

Hiya Beth! welcome to this lovely forum!

Im Andy, 18, another England resident! Work full time at debenhams because of lack of effort in 6th form. Want go to disney world, because i will take it down from the inside and eventually become Mr. Disney!

i applied this year, Absolute nervous wreck through the waiting but thankfully i was successful and now have an interview in february! you will find there is a lot of waiting! not the quickest process!

Ellen: Sure it went fantastic! See you in february!!

8. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Don't say that yet......you're tempting fate Andy....and forgive me if I start being a bit like you were!! They said a month til I hear.....I'm hoping it won't be that long!! :-[

Ellen xxx

9. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

Great to hear from so many different people..

I have (another!) question that i couldn't find the answer to anywhere else..

I assumed that if you are lucky enough to get chosen then you will be working in the UK bit of Epcot.. But a friend who has been says there aren't nearly enough jobs in that part of Epcot for the sixty(?) or so people they employ from UK.. So where else might you end up working? Could it be anywhere around the park, maybe supervising rides etc..? Not that I mind either way, would be a dream just to be there! ;D

Beth :-*

10. Andy

Andy New Member

i dont know for sure, but i would just presume different shifts, different hours!

11. emma

emma New Member

hi beth!
    my names emma and like andy im having my face to face in february! we are the yungest....only 18 in jan but ill be old enough for interview thats y. im in 6th form and am literally at this minute sending my UCAS form deferring my entry for 2006!!!! if disney say no at least i get a year to work!!! i live in liverpool and i guess going to uni here u know how much i could say in my phone interview...they seemd realy interested in our capital of culture bid the beatles...world heritage etc...im sure were u r from is cool too.! how do u like the uni? im visiting the open day on wednesday so lemme know ne advice u have!! who knows we may have alredy seen each other lol! x x x

12. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Hi Beth, welcome to our little Disney bubble!!!!

Im MIchelle and Im one of the oldest people on here - 23 (and thats just for another 3 days!!!)

I have my face-to-face inteview on November 12th and am nervous already!!!

I live in Basingstoke and work in Reading - whereabouts in Hampshire are you originally from? Anywhere near me?

To answer your question, the only place you will be working is in the Uk pavillion in Epcot, its the only thing the Q1 Visa will alow as its a 'cultural representative' visa so you have to be representing your cour country and you can only do that in the UK pavillion!!

There is a lot for applicants the job, but the fact that youve found these boards is a great start as we're all really supportive of each other and help each other out as much as we possibly can!! Alwaya happy to answer any questions!!

Good luck with your interview,

Michelle xx

13. SaraC

SaraC New Member

Hi Beth

Well i'm sara, 20 and from staffordshire, currently in my 2nd year of a travel & tourism management degree @ university of derby. Also work part time at alton towers in admissions, love my job to pieces!!

I have my face to face interview in london on 12th november like michelle, and already very nervous about it!!

think michelle just answered the question i was going to answer hehe.

Wanted to work for disney since one of my first visits with my parents when i was 5 years old. The want to work there has never gone away, so fingers crossed something comes of it after the interviews in november!

Sara xx

14. Tinks

Tinks New Member

Hi Beth,

I'm Kerry and I am in the same situation as Charlotte, been rejected last time, and gonna re-apply (soon!! if they think i'm waiting till December they have another thing coming!!) I was really down at first but now I'm rearing to go again.

Im from Portsmouth in Hampshire, and I'm a trainee accountant but am hoping to put my studies on hold for a year. Tried the college thing and really didn't get on with it so I now go for just one afternoon and evening a week.

I am CRAZY about both Disney and America, (Friends and family think I'm a little strange, but then I found this website, found loads of people like me and don't feel quite so wierd now!) I'm 18, but for much longer, although I'm trying to persuade everone that when u hit 18 you start going backwards, so I will infact be 17 soon!! Hehe, I don't think 2 many people are buying it though.

Hope your application goes well!! Keep us all up to date!

Kerry

15. marshabrady

marshabrady New Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So nice to hear from u all.. Thanks for answering the many questions. 2 minutes ago I posted my application into the letterbox. I kissed it for good luck! (don't tell anyone tho..)

Emma from Liverpool heya! I'm liking it up here, great night life. Liverpool uni is defo good.. what r u planning to do?

Michelle from Basingstoke hi! I'm from a sleepy village near Winchester. I'll be thinking of u and Sara on November 12th.. keep smiling and you'll both do fine  ;D <---- cheesy overdone Disney smile

Kerry from Pompey Hi! My Dad and Bro are season ticket holders, all my family come from Portsmouth.. I love Gunwharf, lots of Ralph Lauren bargains to be had! Go for it with reapplying.. im sure i'll be in the same boat as you and Charlotte.. seems like they are way over-subscribed right now  :-\

In general its great to meet so many people who feel the same way about Disney/USA as me. My Welsh friend Beccy and I are both going through this at the same time.. we were up all last night adding finishing touches to our CV's. We managed to fit in words such as 'enchanting, dedicated, magical, multicultural, etc..' it was quite a laugh. She worked at Disney Paris last summer and loved it, she's hoping to work in the Welsh shop!
    Fingers crossed for you all.. I know everyone wants it enough to deserve it..

Beth  :-*

16. rachela

rachela New Member

Hi I'm Rachel, I'm 24

I have applied twice!! Third time lucky hopefully. I have graduated in Marketing and Leisure Management and currently working in Conference & Events.

I'm from the wonderful county of Worcestershire.

I have a face to face interview in Feb 2005, and hopefully (fingers crossed) will make it to Disney In September 2005.

Rach x

17. baby_natz16

baby_natz16 New Member

Hello

Im Natasha - a re-applicant from Glasgow (fingers crossed!).  Ive just turned 21....and currently in my final year of a degree at Edinburgh University.

:D xxx :D

18. eeyore22

eeyore22 New Member

Hey there. I'm Dan, 22 y/o from Ipswich in Suffolk. I currently work in Virgin Megastore, but have a face to face interview on 12th Nov, so fingers crossed I won't be there for much longer. Good luck to all applicants ;D x

19. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

Howdy folks!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;) :) :D ;) ;D :eek: 8)

I am a first year student over in Swansea,i'm studying Illustration.
    I AM A HUUUUUUUGE DISNEY FANATIC!! 100%. i have always dreamed of working in Disney scince visiting Florida when I was 11.
    I had a interview yesterday,I was so nervous and excited,I have to wait a few days to see if im successful in having a second interview on November 11th.

good luck everyone.im looking forward to working with you all (be positive im sure we will all be working in Disney soon!!)

What months are you all going ::)

speak soon

Natalia x :-*

20. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

i've already done the program and had the time of my life after uni doing it - and i have to say that i love reading stuff like this - makes me feel happy for you guys but sad at the same time because its not me!!!!  :'(  hehe!

try and take a christmas job at your local disney store - it'll get you into the spirit of things!! (and give you cool stuff to talk about at your interview! - thats what i did)

Above all - be yourself - Disney are really weird, they're looking for a certain kind of person (if we knew what it was - life would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier!)
    a guy at my interview was really disney'd up - with facts and figures and had really gone to town on the background knowledge thing - but he didn't get in (prob cause he seemed like a sad statistician!! - and prob because it looked like he was trying to outsmart the interviewers...)

When i applied to wdwip nearly 4 years ago  - the alumni who offered me advice through this very website (big thank you to Andy Saito) were invaluable and alayed any fears i had.  If i can do that for any of you guys then feel free to ask.

have a magical day :)  (could help my self from adding that!!  ;))