what is is like over there?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by jcb, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jcb

jcb New Member

Hello,

I'm considering applying to work at Disney, bored of education from the age of 4 to 22 is just too long, wondering firstly if 23(ish) would make me older than the rest of the applicants, and what are the states like? I'm mostly concerned about beer, its been a good friend to me over the years and I heard that the yanks aren't too keen on the stuff, so was wondering if going to the states may mean an reduction in beer fuelled fun? Also how is sharing a room with unknown people, sounds quite scary to me.

Any response would be appreciated, as I would love a distraction to revision!

John

2. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Hi John.

I don't think at 23 you would be older than the rest of the applicants. I think the majority of us going for the february/march interviews this time are roughly between 20 and 22/3, with a few exceptions.

I honestly couldn't tell you about beer, but as far as I'm concerened as long as I can eat lots of Ben and Jerry's ice cream I will be quite happy!

Good luck with your revision,

Izzy xx

3. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

Hi John

If you want to apply, just go for it! there's no upper age limit I don't think and 23 isn't too old. As for beer, I thought that's all the americans drank!? (well, that's what I make out from watching such over-american films like American Pie!)

and doesn't revision suck!? I feel for you!! :'(

Ellen xx :D

4. SaraC

SaraC New Member

John

I think you should definately go for it! The beer thing shouldn't be an issue i shouldn't think.

I do know what you mean about the room sharing situation, it is pretty scary, i'm just determined to make my room mate like me once i arrive in june.

Good Luck

Sara xx

5. jcb

jcb New Member

Thanks Folks,

Think I will give it ago, forgot that Ben and Jerry's came from America.

If I get in, making my roommate like me, hmmm... well I suppose I could wash and be relatively nice.... Only Joking I’m quite easy going, but never had to share a room, worried about not having any personal space but I recon being there would outweigh not having my own room.

Are you (the nice people who have replied to me) going soon or applying soon?

6. SaraC

SaraC New Member

Yeah John i know what u mean, i like havin privacy but i suppose it's a small price to pay. As i said before i would definately give it a go.

I got offered a job to go out to florida back in december, i leave 21st June and can't wait :)

xxx

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

yeah totally go for it! whats the worst that could happen. as for the room mate. bribe him into likeing you with beer!lol!

xxxx

8. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

I'm going to the interview on 28th of next month...SO excited!! :D

I thought about the roomie situation, as i quite like my own space....but I'm sure you get some quiet time (unless whoever you're sharing with is a chronic snorer!!). the 'bringing people back' situation might be a bit akward, so I'd want to get that sorted out straight away, but apart from that it could be cool to share with someone....I'd like a French roomie (so I could learn some more French!! :D)

Ellen xxxx

9. jcb

jcb New Member

Think That I would like an Italian roommate; I've always wanted a holiday home out there ;). Might develop a more cultured taste for red wine appose to carling.

Started writing my CV, far more fun than reading about new labour and its attempts to address efficiency in local government, if I go back to doing that soon I might die.

10. SaraC

SaraC New Member

haha aww john, that sounds interesting........ok maybe not.

yeah get the cv done ;)

and ellen i have thought about the 'bringing someone back' situation 2. oh well we shall all see in good time!

xxx

11. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

Hey John!
    I'm another applicant! I have an interview in feb too. ;D I'm 22 so you're definitley not much older than me! I'm a little scared about room sharing if I get accepted but like Sara said, small price to pay for the experience you're getting!! Good luck!
    Charlotte x

12. SaraC

SaraC New Member

its true isn't it charlie ;) hopefully i'll c u out there around september.

you're bound to make life long friends once you're out there as well, so the pro's outway the con's as far as i'm concerned ;)

xxx

13. Tinks

Tinks New Member

Don't the Americans drink Larger but call it beer?

14. disney_dreamer

disney_dreamer New Member

yeah there beer is larger..well thats what i gathered from when i was last out there...they are big on bud light..even the big beefy marines all drink bud light..i dont know why..has it got fewer calories??!!

ill tell you one thing they certainly cant drink like the british!!!they like to think they can....but oh no!!! ;)he he!!

15. Marie

Marie Guest

Yeah dreamer - ur so right they def cant handle their alcohol as well as us lot!

John - Good luck luck with the application - im going in June and im 22 but will be 23 by then so ur not too old! I lived in the states last yr and beer is like the easiest drink to get. Its all they served at frat parties. Every party has a keg and at one of the local bars they had 20 cent beer nights every tuesday!

Over the roommate thing in america i lived in apts and had my own room apart from the first few weeks when i was waiting for housing. i had a korean roomate - you get used to sharing a room pretty quickly. yeah its the thing im most worried about for disney - but i figure ur have diff work schedlues etc and will be so busy you might not spend much time in!

Ellen & Sara lol at u two! My american friends u had roommates worked out systems - theyd put a hankerchief on the tour as signal to their roommates not to come in! - its pretty standard i think most people are cool!

16. Marie

Marie Guest

**** oops i meant they put a hankerchief on the door not tour! sorry am making no sense!

17. robb2020

robb2020 New Member

Hey John,

Dont worry, u r gonna make it.
    And in perfect age too, hey u will de 23.
    It is cool man, keep ur spirits up and u will be in Orlando in no time.

Hey Marie.
    What is this hankerchief thing??
    Explain me..... PLease ::) ::) ::) ::)

See ya

Robb ;D

18. Marie

Marie Guest

lol Rob! Well people tie a hankerchief or something on the door handle as a signal to their roommate dont come in... i got a visitor ;) Think most people make some system with their roommate. :D

19. Quark

Quark New Member

Don't worry, I was 24/25 while I was in Orlando, a friend of mine was 27, and there were a couple of others in that age range. 22 or 23 is perfectly normal. Since you are overaged, you won't have problems with your beer either, granted, the Americans don't want people with open cans on the street for whatever reason, but in the end it makes little difference.
    As for the roommate issue, don't be scared. It's all part of the experience, and even if you get someone you don't get along with, it's a very valuable lesson and sooner or later you should be able to move, if it's only within the apartment. I wouldn't count too much on learning anything language-wise, or wanting a particular nationality, because in the end everybody's difference. Although you will notice that 90% of all the stereotypes are true. Quite amazing :)

20. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

I thoought everyone knew the hankerchief on the door trick!LOL!

xxx