What to bring/buy?

Discussion in 'Alumni Discussion' started by tinkithink, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

what about a toaster? is that supplied?
    and should i bring a bathmat?
    or a toothbrush holder? or a soap dispenser?
    what state are the shower curtains in?
    what about a vaccuam?
    what's the shelf space like in the bathroom. Is there any?
    Is there an ironing board and an iron?
    what kind of shelf/surface space is there in the bedrooms?
    can you use sticky tack on the walls?
    would powerbars/extension cords be useful?
    would a toaster oven/sandwich maker be good to bring?
    i have a rolling cart, would that be useful?
    how big are the desks?

i just bought a bed in a bag and some towels.
    what did everyone do with the stuff they did buy but then had no room to bring home? like comforters, etc.

2. MegD

MegD New Member

If you can bring a toaster since you're driving you'll need one - they arent expensive though if you want to wait.

Yes definitely bring a bathmat!
    I kept my toothbrush in my room so I didnt bring a holder..but no there isn't one. Or a soap dispenser but we didnt need one cause we had a plastic bottle.
    Out shower curtain was ok. If I have room maybe ill bring a cheap one.
    There are vacuum cleaners at the clubhouse. You pay 1$ for a bag and then reuse it every time you take the vacuum out.
    There isn't really shelf space in the bathroom, just under the sink (so not much room) but there's lots in your bedroom closet.
    No iron or board. You can get mini boards though. My roommate had one and it was cute :)
    The bedrooms just have the dresser (so you get half), a nightstand each, and the closet has a locker, and tons of shelf room for clothes and towels.
    You're not supposed to use sticky tack...I used scotch tape lol but took it down when we had inspections.
    I didn't need a powerbar, I don't think it's really necessary. Maybe if you're taking a tv/dvd player? Even then...we had nothing at all plugged in our living room as far as i remember.
    If you like sandwiches and will use it, go for it. I guess it depends how much space you have.
    I woulndt bother with the rolling cart.
    The desks are maybe 4ft long. We didnt really use ours. It collected papers and such. haha.
    I had to throw my extra stuff out :( I felt so wasteful.

3. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

inspections??? :S

4. TraceyBrown

TraceyBrown New Member

I don't think I am going to bring a whole lot of things like that.
    I'm planning on buying everything down there.
    Is that bad?
    What are your thoughts?

5. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

Well I'm driving, not flying, so I can carry a lot more than the rest of yous can!

6. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Yes they have regular inspections to check that the apartment looks good and that it's cleaned. And if it looks very good you get a price ;D

7. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Haha we used to get loads of chocolate with only 4 of us! They used to say each time that certain things weren't good enough, but we scrubbed for like hours beforehand!

8. angeljenn3

angeljenn3 New Member

It's sad but the idea of inspections make me happy. I'm usually a neat freak, but sometimes I need motivation to keep up the cleaning!

How often are the inspections?

9. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Maybe once every 3 months? I think it was like that in Vista. They put up boards around the complex telling you the date of your blocks inspection.

10. MegD

MegD New Member

Yeah we only had one all summer, so it wasn't too bad.

11. TinkTingeling

TinkTingeling New Member

Yes it's not too often. But they're nice to have, because all of your roomies might not be people who likes to clean.

12. brad

brad New Member

Some things to add to the "Should I bring this? List: I know it sounds typical Canadian, but should I bring a hockey stick, is there any street hockey games going on there?

13. unfortunately you're not allowed to play street hockey in the Commons. They count a hockey stick as a "weapon."

14. patto

patto New Member

so if hockey sticks are banned im assuming im in trouble if i bring my cricket bat?

15. brad

brad New Member

Haha wow... Ok scratch that then ::)

16. SteffieDavis

SteffieDavis New Member

HAHAHA! Hockey sticks are weapons????? That is hilarious.

17. I know right?! some of the things they don't allow in the commons are soooooo stupid!

18. glasgow paws

glasgow paws New Member

you're also not allowed skates,blades,bikes or boards in the Commons, never mind sticks or bats.

We had our dart board and darts taken away :(

I travelled out there from Scotland with very little luggage, a big holdall full of summer clothes, smart gear for the Disney classes and some heavier stuff for winter, and that was it.

When you (If you) go into tip position you can just hit the mall or the outlets and buy lots of new gear with your tips.