Wireless

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by KingDavid, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

What's the deal with getting wireless into your apartment? I remember reading that you could buy a router/access point to either compliment or replace the gear that's already there. Is that still the case? If so, anyone who's done it recently - what's the cost?

Thanks.

2. Alex88

Alex88 Member

There is a modem in your apartment, you can either connect your laptop through cable to it directly, or buy a wireless router and plug that one in to the modem to create a wireless signal. Possibly your roommates (who are already living in the apartment you get assigned to) already did that and u can share it with them. You can get a standard netgear wireless router for under 50$ at walmart, bestbuy or online.

3. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

Thanks Alex - great answer.
    Hopefully, if the apartment doesn't already have one, my new roomies will club together to buy one

4. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Even if they have one already it's good. They will generally give you the password because you shouldn't have done anything to piss them off yet. lol.. and most of the time when it's their end date they will leave it in the apartment because why would they need to bring it home with them? :)

5. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

I will give you a warning... if you end up in building 4 in The Commons the internet isn't great there. I had 2 apartments in that building and the internet was verrrry touch and go.
    They might have sorted it out by now but at the time it was a bit frustrating.
    If that does happen you just have to be really obnoxious and call the IT people allllll the time. They do eventually send out engineers.
    It's fairly easy to sweet talk neighbours in to giving you their wireless passwords though. Especially if you can cook!

6. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

haha.. i remember spending HOURS on the phone with those stupid Tech guys.. they were useless on the phone, but they did send people down right away. :)
    Building 1 & 9 seemed fine. And Patterson building 9 was also pretty good.

7. Chari21

Chari21 New Member

Haha I think I was on first name terms with those guys in the end. Buckers and I had the number on the fridge, should have had them on speed dial!!!
    I think I resorted to using the tiny little computer 'suite' most of the time.
    They kept telling me because I was using Vista which apparently doesn't work with their systems??

8. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

The ueslessness of the internet has nothing to do with which building you're in... it's all to do with the fact that the internet is useless everywhere. I've gone round about half a dozen different apartments, all in different buildings and complexes, sorting out peoples internet for them!

If you're coming from the UK I will warn you now... US internet is bad compared to what we're used to. US internet shared by an entire complex is horrid. It works, but it's horrid. :D

9. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

No VPN home to get iPlayer for me then :'(

10. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

No iplayer :( But you do have hulu instead! :) (if you like US tv that is)

11. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

I never found it really bad. Are modem broke once, which is fair enough because they're all old. The Commons also has its own computer lab if you really can't get your internet to work. it's open from 7am-9pm. It has a printer in there too.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. YOu're going to be so busy you generally only have time for your basics/ checks/ updates, etc..