2 years experience?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by neevyweevy, May 10, 2009.

1. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

I've looked at the websites and some of the other stuff about it, but does anybody know if it's possible to get a job with DCL without having 2 years experience? All the stuff seems to say you do but i just wondered if anyone's managed it without that?!

2. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

I've heard of people having less then 2 years experience. But I also heard these people a) lied in their applications/interviews 2) had similar experience that transfered over into the department.

I think the 2 year thing is to make it as competitive as possible - and some departments have a high number of people waiting to get onto the ship.

What job are you looking at?

3. neevyweevy

neevyweevy New Member

I was looking at mainly merchandise because i did that for 6 months in MK, but i wouldn't mind something in housekeeping or something more guest service related, but i'm guessing that's something you'd need more related experience for.

I don't really want to have to lie to get something!

Which departments have high numbers of people waiting?

4. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

Merch you will pretty much need the full 2 years as merch is a revunue machine and they want skilled people there. There have been people on the ship wanting to transfer into merch with 2 years experience and have been turned down. I have a friend who resigned and now wants to go back - he was told that the earliest he will get on is sept but it could take up to dec - too many people just waiting to get on the ships (was told that this is multiple departments). I would assume this is because of two things 1) economy - people need jobs 2) the new ports for next year - the magic will be in europe.

With this being said, the new ship (disney dream) is coming out in 2011. They are starting to prep for this (ie, dining room servers are having longer vacations so they can bring in more people so they have the numbers for the new ships, people getting moved around). As well there will be a bit of a turn over after the europe cruises as many people are staying on for that experience.

The best thing you can do is look at the info on the website and apply. If you are looking for something to start soon know that there is a chance that it might not. If you are looking for something to start later, why not get some experience that will help you when you do apply for dcl. If you are not american, you will have to apply through an agency so it is good to look at that website as well.