2 Years Rule

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Arwen_1983, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Arwen_1983

Arwen_1983 New Member

Hi Guys
    I'm a future ICP participant (Hopefully!!!) ;D
    I have a question...does your passports show the "2 years rule"? (it means that you cannot obtain other visas or emigrate to the USA for 2 years after the expiration date of your J1)
    Thanx for your help
    Roby

2. ctravis

ctravis Guest

Hi,

I did the ICP programme in 2007, and was worried that I was under the 2 year rule. You must look at your DS2019 form. You will not know until that form has been stamped by the embassy. You can see the 2 year rule half way down!

3. Arwen_1983

Arwen_1983 New Member

Thank you so much, so you don't know on what it depends? if it's for your Country or Program duration or something? Do you know if other ICPs were under the rule?

4. ctravis

ctravis Guest

Well i know the 2 year rule applies to certain countries. Which country r u from? :D x

5. Arwen_1983

Arwen_1983 New Member

I'm from Italy :D

6. ctravis

ctravis Guest

Sorry it has taken me ages to reply. I have tried to search whether it does apply to you but i cannot find anything. I will still look....also try and look at the US embassy in Italy.
    BUT......this is what i got from the embassy in London;

[i]Important Notice: A former exchange visitor may not be issued an immigrant, fiancé(e), temporary worker or intracompany transferee visa until he/she has resided and been physically present in the country of his/her nationality or last residence for at least two years following the termination of exchange visitor status if one or more of the following conditions applies:

The program was financed in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by an agency of the United States government or by the country of exchange visitor's nationality or last residence; or
    The exchange visitor was a national or resident of a country which the Secretary of State has designated as clearly requiring the services of persons engaged in the field of specialized knowledge or skills in which the alien was engaged during the exchange visitor program (no skills are listed as being required by the United Kingdom); or
    The exchange visitor was a physician who entered the United States to receive medical education or training (except those who participated in a program involving exclusively teaching research or consultation
    ).

But i do really think it wont apply to you. I checked my DS2019 form and it says it does not apply to the 2 year rule and that with the ICP programme.

7. Arwen_1983

Arwen_1983 New Member

Thank you sooo much for your help!! i'll keep searching and let's hope it doesn't appy to me!!! I don't wanna stay outside the United States for 2 years!!! ;D

8. ctravis

ctravis Guest

Anytime.....Good luck and i am sure you dont fall under the 2 year rule. xx :D